Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car constantly making a whining noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed recently that my car is making a constant whining noise. It does not seem to be related to charging or having a high state of charge. I also do not believe it’s cooling related because the cooling vents remain closed. They do open when supercharging. Anyone else notice this? I have a 2016 85D.

There is a software bug where the cooling fans are running after the car is charged and parked for hours. I reported it to Mobile Service and they were scheduled to come out and look at my 2015 85D, but I traded it in and the problem along with it.

It is not a bug, it a new safety feature for old battery packs. Tesla discovered a certain condition in older batteries that could in very rare cases cause a fire. When the battery is at aprox 80% or higher, the car will take extra action to cool it down and run the coolant pump extensively. Running the coolant pump will prevent single cells that have this condition, to heat up and cause a fire. It is most likely dendrites that form inside the battery. It is most dangerous at high state of charge. That's why, when the battery is 80% or higher, the coolant pump runs just out of being extra careful.
Some batteries have developed this condition to a higher extend and as a safety measure Tesla has locked their top 10-15% out. IOW the car will not fully charge any more to avoid going to the highest state of charge. The car still shows 100% but the range is less. This is all part of the #batterygate issue.

If you have the problem at lower battery levels it might be that there are temperature differences within your battery that the car is trying to even out by circulating the coolant.

Reactions: howardc64
It is not a bug, it a new safety feature for old battery packs. Tesla discovered a certain condition in older batteries that could in very rare cases cause a fire. When the battery is at aprox 80% or higher, the car will take extra action to cool it down and run the coolant pump extensively. Running the coolant pump will prevent single cells that have this condition, to heat up and cause a fire. It is most likely dendrites that form inside the battery. It is most dangerous at high state of charge. That's why, when the battery is 80% or higher, the coolant pump runs just out of being extra careful.
Some batteries have developed this condition to a higher extend and as a safety measure Tesla has locked their top 10-15% out. IOW the car will not fully charge any more to avoid going to the highest state of charge. The car still shows 100% but the range is less. This is all part of the #batterygate issue.

If you have the problem at lower battery levels it might be that there are temperature differences within your battery that the car is trying to even out by circulating the coolant.

Interesting. Another reason my upgrade benefited me. I don’t have to hear that noise in my garage.