TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car Cover for Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Rosalind, Jul 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

I've had my Model 3 less than a week. It's super hot outside and I have no garage, so the car is baking in the sun all day long and the fan is turning on and off to protect the car.

The Tesla branded car cover looks like it would be too much hassle to put on and take off every single drive. I see a Covercraft one that looks easier to use, but I think I would have to modify it to make the charge port accessible. What are you guys using as an exterior car cover to protect from the heat?

2. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I've never used a car cover before but I also considered one. However, I heard that over time they tear/fade and eventually will trap dirt inside. There was also concern on it "no brand" car covers would mess with the battery cooling/heating.

My dad suggested a crazy idea of getting a canopy with sidewalls and putting in our driveway, which seems semi feasible. I haven't done it yet but maybe something to consider.
    Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterLogic-Enclosure-Kit-for-Super-Max-10-ft-x-20-ft-White-Canopy-Canopy-and-Frame-Not-Included-25875/202934603 (this doesn't include canopy/frame)

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

4. Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter Member

Covercraft makes the model 3 cover in several different fabrics. Having the cutouts for the charge port and for air circulation to cool the batteries is an option. I have used their Weathershield HP covers for years on a number of different cars. This is an expensive cover but it is very compact and easy to put on and can be washed and dried in home or laundromat machines easily. This is critical because if you can't easily clean and dry it, you will find it a huge pain to use. Most others cannot be dried in dryers and some can't even be washed in washers. I have found that they last 3 to 5 years depending on the amount of sun exposure. Autozone has them for $391 plus tax and shipping. Just work through the options and the last choice is with cutouts or without cutouts. For Covercraft their home site has care instructions for all of their covers. I think you are smart to hesitate on the Tesla outside cover. It clearly offers more protection against physical damage but from what I read is bulky and can't be run through washers and dryers.

I'm about to order one for our second model 3 which is expected in a couple of months. We only have a single slot garage where the first one lives. I've had one for our previous Volt and our present Volt and they fit very well including the flap for the charging cover.

• Like x 1
  5. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

@Foxtrotter, your remarks are very helpful! Thank you!

I've been searching the Autozone site and I am getting frustrated. I can't seem to find the HP for M3 with cutouts. Do you have a link for me?

• Like x 1
  7. bradl

bradl Member

I'm finding it here. Covercraft Weathershield HP Custom Car Cover

I can choose model 3 with cutout for charging. Ventilation is not mentioned so not sure if that means charging port flap only or both port and battery ventilation cutouts.

• Informative x 1
  8. Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter Member

Yes, I messed up. I was looking at Autoanything, even bookmarked it. Other sites list it as having other cutouts for ventilation as well and that is what a Covercraft rep told me when I asked. Two versions, one with all cutouts.

• Like x 1
  9. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

You guys are awesome! *runs off to place an order...*

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

@Foxtrotter, I was able to talk to a guy who works at Auto Anything. He gave me an additional discount of 10% off, so the price came to $352.35. He says that if anybody else from the group wants to order or has questions on any other AA product, you can email him [email protected]

• Like x 2
  11. bradl

bradl Member

12. Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter Member

I just ordered one from the guy at Autoanything as well. Great community effort to get the lowest price I've seen. And the ordering was so easy. Thanks @Rosalind and @bradl

13. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

I price-checked all over the Internet. Everybody has it at $435 and we got it for $350! Very happy, thanks for the collab!

14. Jeffcm3

Jeffcm3 Member

Any follow up on the covercraft Weathershield HP for the model 3?

Were did you order it, and how long did it take to receive it?

Does it have a vent cutout in the front? Are the front wheels also vented?

Ho soft is the inside material?

Thx

15. Foxtrotter

Foxtrotter Member

I've had mine for a month or so. It fits very well, except that the charge port door is a bit tight. I brought this to Covercraft's attention and they had me send, at their cost, the cover back to their "designer" who will take it to a car and get it right. I assume that future production will have a larger opening as a result.
    I ordered it from the link that Rosalind provided above for Autoanything. Great price. About a month wait.
    The offer it without the cutouts for storage or with cutouts in front and at the front wheels.
    It is not at all soft. It is a thin plasticized material that can be washed and dried in home machines.
    Covers with soft insides that are meant for outdoor use have to be thicker, bulkier and cannot be washed with machines.

16. bradl

bradl Member

I'm a week away from being able to try mine :p

17. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

Thanks, @Foxtrotter, for getting going on the complaint. I complained privately about this and stopped using the cover for a while. Covercraft has not been helpful with the return, so I'm going to pursue it through AutoAnything. If it weren't for the charge port opening being too small, this is a great cover. I still recommend them despite the minor flaw, but will love it even more once that is remedied.

• Like x 1
  18. Rosalind

Rosalind Member

@Jeffcm3, you can email <[email protected]> and request a custom quote. Tell him I sent you. I think you should also specify that you want the improved design that they are currently working on.