Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, at work I have to park in an uncovered parking lot, either out in the open under the blistering Texas sun or under the shade of a few trees that are home to a lot of birds. So as much as I'd hate to be "the guy who covers his car," I think I'm gonna have to be that guy in order to protect the paint. I have a cheap cover from Walmart that fits the car pretty well but seems to take a lot of effort to place on the car, mainly due to the car's size. I've never had a car cover before and am now looking for one that is of high quality (whatever that means), is easy to place, and is easy to clean. Any recommendations? Any suggestions on how to quickly place one and fold it up? I know Tesla sells one but it seems a bit pricey.

I too had never used a car cover and had many questions, my S had an accelerated delivery and also procrastination on my part about cleaning my garage forced me to a car cover. I didn't want to take a chance on a poor fit so ordered the TESLA cover, it is a gem, I keep it in the trunk recess and roll it up. To install, I place it on the roof and unroll down the length of the car. Next , very important you put the mirror sock pockets on FIRST, this helps keep the cover from slipping off on the ground, then go to the front and pull down around the grill area and the same in the back. The installation and storing of the cover takes one person about 1 minute, ( and I am SLOW). The cover is excellent and fits in all the right places, it also has venting at the front wheel openings so the battery can maintain temperature and also a VELCRO"d flap so the Model S can be charged with the cover in place. I highly recommend the TESLA cover, it may seem a little pricey but is a custom cover with all the proper waterproof layers and vents, this does make it a dream to install and remove. My feeling is if a cheaper cover is a PITA to use it will just stay in the trunk.

Had my first real practical opportunity to use the indoor cover for my MS. We're going away for a week and wanted to wash and cover the car for the duration. The indoor cover is really nice. As wstuff said, it fits the car like a gem. The material is very soft. My wife and I did it together in all of 1 or 2 minutes (it appeared to have been rolled up in the opposite way I would have rolled it up). Anyway, here are some pictures. Carerrascott, I ask you to look away. Your garage shames my garage.

2013-03-20 21.32.35.jpg
2013-03-20 21.32.57.jpg
2013-03-20 21.33.11.jpg
2013-03-20 21.33.29.jpg
2013-03-20 21.33.42.jpg
2013-03-20 21.33.53.jpg