TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Car Damage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Simon528, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Simon528

Simon528 Member

A 90 Year Old lady failed to navigate a U-Turn and drove up onto my Model S.

I tried to drive it home but the back end seemed to want to come around to the front end. Not good.

The body damage is mostly to the left quarter-panel but there is something clearly wrong with the wheel or the axel.

The body shop told me it will take a least two months to get parts from Tesla.

What the hell.

Tell me it isn't true.

2. Simon528

Simon528 Member

Here is a photo.

This is real, untouched.

Attached Files:

3. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Ohh my!! That looks horrible!! Do you have any pictures from the rear damage to the car?

4. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

Ouch. That's horrible. Yep. Tesla parts are known to be slow. Elon has made a recent vow to dramatically improve this, but I doubt much changed in the last few days. You should be entitled to a rental, and I contend a comparable car, but that might be a tough sell. So sorry.

5. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

OMG how did she ever do that! As soon as I saw the title I cringed. I feel for you. I did read a post from one of the Tesla execs (after the Motley Fools article came out about the Tesla owner who wrote about his repair nightmare) and he said something to the effect that they would be following up with body shops more closely to see that they got their parts more timely and work got completed as soon as possible. So hopefully your wait won't be as long as it might have been before the attention got publicly shown on this aspect of repair time. I know, no real comfort there still having to have it repaired. Really sorry you can't be driving it in the meantime. Man she did a weird number on you.

6. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Estimate sounds realistic... which body shop? I think they gave you a reasonable estimate.

7. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

:eek::eek::eek:

Accidents are the nightmares that keep on giving. Wait until you try to either sell or trade it in, may as well knock off another 30% of its assessed value.

8. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

So sorry to see/hear.

I've heard that some body shops order as needed, rather than over-order and then attempt to return unneeded parts due to number of factors.

Remember insurance companies always try to negotiate down. You should negotiate up to what makes you whole again. In terms of value loss due to accident, you should ensure you enforce diminished value. This is something no insurance company will offer proactively, though is designed to cover the gap. Check out Make a diminished value claim | CarInsurance.com

Good luck, and hopefully all arrives on time.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  9. Motomania

Motomania Member

Aw man; that hurts. Sorry to hear it.........and even stranger to see the pic!:-(
    -
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (can't look it up right now) but From what I recall JonMc from Tesla said in the other accident/repair; it sounds like there will be someone from Tesla assigned to your repairs to ensure parts are delivered in a timely manner and things move along more smoothly? (Like I said; double check me on that)
    -
    So it might be worth finding out who that person is at Tesla corporate and stay in communication with them.
    -
    If not; you may need to act as your own advocate and find out when the bodyshop orders parts; then see what number you can call with Tesla to confirm the parts were indeed ordered; and what kind of timeframe can be expected for them to arrive at the shop. (The shop may order parts online through a parts management system; but there is surely a number they can call to follow up on)

• Like x 1
  10. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

Post #79 reach out to him if it takes that long. Read his post, he seems to mean what he says.
    His forum handle is @JonMc

A few things, if they do not have a loaner Tesla, make sure you get them to reimburse you the fuel costs.

Do not forget to file a diminished value claim. Get an estimate of what your car is worth traded in before the accident, and then after. That is your diminished value.

Hope this helps and good luck with your repair.

11. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I'm still coming to terms with having my 2016 Model S written off from an accident at the start of March. I guess it's merciful since I won't have to go through with a long repair - now awaiting for a replacement to be built. Autopilot can help drivers to an extent, but unfortunately it doesn't help under every circumstance, especially when other drivers are neglectful. Hopefully, Tesla will take to task as they've indicated and you get your car back sooner than expected.

Heed MikeBur's suggestion of dealing with a diminished value.

12. Fiver

Fiver Member

This scenario was on reddit a few days ago.

13. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Wait...how is is this even possible!?!?

14. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

The CRV had Autopilot?

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. steve841

steve841 Active Member

No, Granny Pilot

• Funny x 1
  16. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

lol. better than HW2

• Funny x 2
  17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

My sympathies.

18. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I would laugh but I own the same car... I just hope it's fixed quickly.