Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car damaged by detailing guys.. how would you handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team,
I'm wondering you would handle this? This looks repairable if I got the part myself, but then again I didn't damage it (the detailing guy that cleans cars at our office park did it).. He's agreed to fix it on his dime... So how would you handle it if you were me?

1. Book a service center visit, have them fix it, pay the bill, then send the bill to the detailer?
2. Try to obtain the part, fix it myself, and bill guy for the part (it seems like it's just glued on and poorly at that)
3. Something else?

Note: I'm leaning towards #1, because upon inspection of the blinker on the other side, the glue isn't holding well over there either and I would like Tesla to fix it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks in advance for your input...

Attachments

• Ouch.jpg
    Ouch.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 186
That's what I was thinking too... Unfortunately the Tesla Mobile app is throwing an error when I try and pick an appointment. The chat button on Tesla's website turns grey and becomes unclickable after one click never launching chat, and when I call my local service center all the options just tell you to do one of the above to book an appointment. Tesla seems to be falling apart right now....

Agreed with above comment. This guy obviously made a mistake and he said he wanted to fix it himself. I would give him the chance to do it himself rather than using the SC.
If you are uncomfortable with him doing the repair I like the idea of the SC performing the work and the detailer giving your detailing credit for that amount.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Most detailers aren't swimming in extra cash so I'd make him a quick deal. Tell him you'll handle the repairs costs with Tesla and he can make it up for you with free/equivalent detailing sessions. Sometimes being creative/flexible with a vendor can earn you loyalty and great treatment for life.

Personally, I'm not a fan of that idea really. Mobile detailers usually are doing fairly well, as they typically will get a large amount of business in one day if they've marketed themselves right, which it seems like this guy has if he's got to where he can set up in an office park.
The detailer, if he's actually legit, should have insurance to cover that kind of thing as well, though it doesn't sound like he does.

There's also the issue of warrantying the work if he let's the detailer fix it, so I'd definitely opt for service center so there's the warranty and they are responsible if something else gets damaged.

Personally, I'm not a fan of that idea really. Mobile detailers usually are doing fairly well, as they typically will get a large amount of business in one day if they've marketed themselves right, which it seems like this guy has if he's got to where he can set up in an office park.
The detailer, if he's actually legit, should have insurance to cover that kind of thing as well, though it doesn't sound like he does.

There's also the issue of warrantying the work if he let's the detailer fix it, so I'd definitely opt for service center so there's the warranty and they are responsible if something else gets damaged.
He told me he carries insurance so just send him the bill

Don´t punish them. That can happen.
It´s a 10$ clippable chrome cover, which can e bought spearately. Easy fix.

I wouldn't really call it punishing them. As a detailer, it's our responsibility to ensure we only improve our customers' cars, never damage them.
I know from my own experience, I would happily put my own money on the table to have something professionally fixed if I damaged it over doing it myself, regardless of being able to do it or not.

It all depends on how they hold themselves. To me, it's my own integrity and ownership of an issue. I messed it up? I need to make sure it's fixed perfectly, as my customers should expect nothing less.