Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Dead - Now Alive Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I should have written down all the error messages when they occurred but I didn't so bear with me.

I was leaving town and put the car into Storage Mode with the battery at probably about 50+ miles. I was gone 6 weeks. When I returned the battery was 23-25 miles and I wanted a Standard charge so I simply changed the VDO settings and pushed the start button. The charge port light went from blue to red and I got a couple of error messages - one was something like Request Could Not Be Processed and another one was something like Service Required. I tried several things like unplugging the charge cord, closing/opening the charge door, unplugging the 240 v charge cord from the wall and no luck. A day or so later I did the same thing and the car started charging - Yellow ring flashing fast and then over the next couple of hours slowed down - usual process. NOW, however, the VDO screens were on but the "data fields" were blank. I inserted the key and nothing - no start-up sequence. Would not engage reverse or drive. DEAD! The car was in a garage, not excessively hot or humid - just the same old situation for the last 6+ years.

I called Tesla Torrance service about 9/20 and the earliest appointment is 10/6.

Yesterday, just for the hell of it, I went out to the car, stuck in the key and PRESTO! CAR ALIVE. I topped off the Standard charge to 176 and with a little bit of pucker went for a 15 mile drive about 10pm. Everything appears fine.

Needless to say I'm a little hesitant to drive the car - my confidence that I won't be stranded while driving or dead when I want to head home has been reduced.

I need the "annual service" anyway so I'll keep the 10/6 appointment and mention the problem to the service mgr. but ...

Any thoughts of what might have caused all this?

My roadster once appeared "dead". It was a glitch or something related to the alarm/security system. My suspicion with your roadster is that the 12 volt battery depleted to a state where it would not "unlock" the alarm system and thus the car appeared dead. Then when you "activated" the car by opening and closing the charging port door or turning the key, the main battery started recharging the 12 volt battery to an extent where the next time you tried the car, the 12 volt battery once again had the capacity to disarm the alarm system. All of this is sheer speculation but maybe the logs will show the issue.