Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I am due to pick up my car tomorrow at 11am (Model Y Long range). I got a call this morning around 11:20 from a service rep telling me that there was going to be a delay because my car was not at the location, he had no update on why this occurred but assured me that he would call me later to tell me what he had heard. Time goes by and around 5pm i give Tesla a call because i have yet to receive a call. The rep tells me that there was a problem with the truck and he would know more tomorrow and he would update me. I find this unacceptable... Am i over reacting ? I feel that when someone spends $50k+ on a car there should be a certain level of service one receives. My question is, is there something Tesla can do to rectify this problem? I.e credit? free super charging miles? I'm not in it for those reasons but to literally tell me he doesn't have an information seems crazy. I feel as though if i were at another dealership i would get completely different service instead of "sorry man". On a side note, my wife got off work tomorrow and cannot cancel the leave, so now we are losing out on money and we do not have the car and i have a trip planned next week so that is out of the question.

I get where you're coming from but I don't think Tesla is there yet. You can try escalating this to corporate by contacting them and seeing if they will offer you anything but I don't expect you'll get much. In all honesty, you'll be lucky to get a functioning car without scratches/cracked glass/misaligned panels.

I am in the same situation that you are in. This is getting ridiculous. So, our original delivery appointment was yesterday and a day before the appointment they said that the car was not at the SC yet and it would be arriving late Thursday and we can pick it up Friday (today). Well my wife and I both had to work today and we already took off for Thursday so we set up a delivery appointment for tomorrow.

Well, I get a text from Tesla earlier this evening letting us know that the car has not reached the SC and we will not be able to pick up the car tomorrow. Apparently the truck broke down shortly after leaving the hub in AL... Now they want to schedule a pickup on Monday which we both can’t do. Our next day off together is not until next weekend and they won’t offer us home delivery.

We ordered this car back on January 16th and it has been nothing but delay after delay.

Last edited:
Similar story for me. I’m in SoCal. My original delivery was Wednesday. I call on Tuesday to see if I can move it up to that day, and they say, “well actually, your car still hasn’t left the factory. Let’s push back to Thursday.” So we do, then I get a call on Wednesday, “your car still hasn’t left, let’s push back to Sunday, but call us on Friday to see if it has left by then and maybe you can pick up sooner.” So of course I call on Friday (today) and it STILL hasn’t left the factory. Rep says it’s supposed to leave tomorrow. So I’m gonna call again tomorrow to see if it has left the factory yet. Not holding my breath. 🙄

Similar story for me. I’m in SoCal. My original delivery was Wednesday. I call on Tuesday to see if I can move it up to that day, and they say, “well actually, your car still hasn’t left the factory. Let’s push back to Thursday.” So we do, then I get a call on Wednesday, “your car still hasn’t left, let’s push back to Sunday, but call us on Friday to see if it has left by then and maybe you can pick up sooner.” So of course I call on Friday (today) and it STILL hasn’t left the factory. Rep says it’s supposed to leave tomorrow. So I’m gonna call again tomorrow to see if it has left the factory yet. Not holding my breath. 🙄
Follow up: My Model Y finally left the factory, but the truck from Fremont to SoCal is taking longer than expected so it got pushed back AGAIN to Monday.

Nice! Mine is finally confirmed for Monday. Looking forward to it. Did yours have any flaws?
Yes, one flaw. Under the frunk of the hood near the latch a spot of paint had look liked it had been touched when it was wet. It did not show any bare metal and could not be seen at all from the outside. Rather than have them replace my frunk and possibly mismatch the paint i chose to leave it and put a small dash of clear paint i had on hand to cover it just so nothing chips in the future. Did you get your car? or is it next Monday ?

Yes, one flaw. Under the frunk of the hood near the latch a spot of paint had look liked it had been touched when it was wet. It did not show any bare metal and could not be seen at all from the outside. Rather than have them replace my frunk and possibly mismatch the paint i chose to leave it and put a small dash of clear paint i had on hand to cover it just so nothing chips in the future. Did you get your car? or is it next Monday ?
Yes, I got mine yesterday. Besides the fact that it looks like they drove it through the mud, there were a few very minor issues:
- Clear coat scratches above driver’s door handle
- Scratches on driver side tail light
- Fibers inside both headlights
- Hardened glue residue on black trim pieces near passenger side mirror
- Deep scratch/gouge in < shaped black trim on rear passenger side.
- Panel gap on driver side rear door (I fully expect them to say this is within spec)

Already got my service appointment scheduled.