Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered without USB ports - Any word on availability for install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it the rear ports that are missing or the fronts? I tried using the rears in mine the other day, (wanted to use the phone while charging) but phone wouldn’t charge off them. The charge pads in the front work fine.

I took delivery on 12/3 and they came with none of the USB ports or charging unit. I scheduled service because of a rattle/vibration on the passenger side when driving over 65 mph. Dropped it off today for that repair and they said they'd be installed the USB ports and charger as well. Our center is incredibly short staffed so it could be a few days before I get the car back.

My impression is that ever since Tesla temporarily built cars without the front USB-C ports, any front USB-C ports installed since - whether at the factory or retrofit - are charge-only.

If that's wrong and there are cases of the retrofit including data connection to the MCU, I'd love to hear it.

I also suspect that if the data+charge ports an older car ever break and Tesla replaces the logic board to fix, they will become charge-only. In other words Tesla has no inventory of the old parts left, not even for warranty replacements. Just a guess.

My impression is that ever since Tesla temporarily built cars without the front USB-C ports, any front USB-C ports installed since - whether at the factory or retrofit - are charge-only.

If that's wrong and there are cases of the retrofit including data connection to the MCU, I'd love to hear it.

I also suspect that if the data+charge ports an older car ever break and Tesla replaces the logic board to fix, they will become charge-only. In other words Tesla has no inventory of the old parts left, not even for warranty replacements. Just a guess.
That could lead to some legal complications, if they can’t restore full functionality with a warranty repair.

As it stands, if the ports aren’t data ports, they are pretty much useless anyway, unless they decide to remove the Qi chargers.

Reactions: jkeyser14