Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered yesterday, died 10 times today, stranding my family.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of a grey Model S yesterday in Austin and despite some issues with the car, such as door misalignment and loose rear seat leather, had a great time getting to know the car. Tesla staff was very nice and helpful and installed TPMS in the 21 OEMs I brought them.

Today, I leave for a business trip and while my wife is driving (this is her new car) with my young kids in the back the car loses power and shuts down, this happened about 10 times, having to find a place to pull over each time! Each time it will run for about 30 seconds and then shuts down again, it's about 101°F, kids in car, wife completely unsure of what to do, and on a Sunday afternoon with local Tesla reps unavailable. Tesla in CA just emailed us that it maybe a drive inverter cooling issue and they car needs to go back to in, has anyone else had this problem?

I'm concerned about having our new car disassembled and not ever being as new again. My question is what components failed and what components might have been damaged in this failure? I'm very upset by this, a NEW $100K leaving my wife and kids stranded is unacceptable. At the moment, I just want them to pick it up and write me a check.

At the moment, I just want them to pick it up and write me a check.

I totally sympathize. If you still feel this way after you've had a chance to cool off, I suggest sending an email to Jerome Guillen at [email protected]. He is the VP of sales and service and the Model S Program Director. He is very responsive and will make sure you are taken care of. Something like this happening on a brand new vehicle is not acceptable and Jerome needs to know.

I totally sympathize. If you still feel this way after you've had a chance to cool off, I suggest sending an email to Jerome Guillen at [email protected]. He is the VP of sales and service and the Model S Program Director. He is very responsive and will make sure you are taken care of. Something like this happening on a brand new vehicle is not acceptable and Jerome needs to know.

I'm surprised. Tesla is there 24/7 by phone, and your local store should be able to help you out immediately. This is unusual.

Of course, service is run by new crews everywhere, but a dying car should be top priority. I would think a call to Tesla would get things rolling. They have always taken care of me where ever and whenever.

I want to hear the follow up of this experience.

Don't want to outright say that you are lying but my understanding was that Tesla staff was not able to be there when a car is delivered in Texas. Am I wrong or is consolidated possibly confused about delivery procedure?

Appreciate the support all. I'll wait to hear from Tesla tomorrow. Pulling the entire drivetrain that failed in new car less than 24 hours from delivery is not what I was expecting for my first service experience with Tesla.

Yes, deliveries happen at the service center on Burnet Road in Austin.

Tesla national was on the phone with my wife, they tried to diagnose it the issue but the service center was closed.

Appreciate the support all. I'll wait to hear from Tesla tomorrow. Pulling the entire drivetrain that failed in new car less than 24 hours from delivery is not what I was expecting for my first service experience with Tesla.

Tesla national was on the phone with my wife, they tried to diagnose it the issue but the service center was closed.

Ugh, this is the one bad thing about electronics. They either last darn near forever, or the are toast soon after delivery. I think the term statistician use is "bathtub curve" to describe the casualty rate on such products.

I don't know what Tesla does to "burn in" newly built Model S, but I hope they tweak their procedures to make this kind of experience rare or nonexistent. I'd be mad too if my car failed right after delivery.

As for repairs, Based on what I've seen, it is easy for Tesla Service to drop the motor and powertrain components. It's not like a gasoline automobile at all.

A similar thing happened to me in my Roadster the week after delivery. It turned out that the air conditioning gas had all leaked out from a badly installed cap, so the car would instantly overheat. Maybe that's all it was. Was the climate control working?

Otherwise I agree, even replacing the drive train is not at all a big deal on the Model S.

That's both rude and ludicrous.

"Deliveries" in Austin are actually pick ups from the service center, where the staff walk you through the car. That's what happened with me. I see no reason to disbelieve OP.

Eh, the week of earnings call? I wouldn't be surprised if there is malicous intent by shorters.... I feel like this happened right before last earnings call too. Desperate people trying to not lose their house.

Sure hope you got a P85+ for a loaner

Yes I agree, post your VIN or this is 100% BS.

P164XX. Look up my user name on Rennlist, 6Speed, NASA/PCA club racing, or any of the BMW/Ford Truck forums or just PM me when your in Austin, I'll show you my dead Model S. I'm just a guy who bought my wife the car we wanted, nothing more nothing less.

I know a lot of people have stock, but some of us are just car buyers with typical buyers expectations. Not everyone is in the game.

Last edited: