Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered yesterday, died 10 times today, stranding my family.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
consolidated, you should just post the last 4 of your vin or a photo of your vehicle to ease the skepticism here. We are all enthusiasts of MS and some of us have seen false claims come about, so if it matters to you with the criticism, this might take some of the pressure off. Just an idea

consolidated, you should just post the last 4 of your vin or a photo of your vehicle to ease the skepticism here. We are all enthusiasts of MS and some of us have seen false claims come about, so if it matters to you with the criticism, this might take some of the pressure off. Just an idea

I don't think he has to go that far to post his VIN. I think we all have to be mindful that this is the internet. OP has to understand the timing of the post, the fact that he's new, and the fact that there are very few details make the post suspicious. Also... really it failed ten times...why not get it towed after the 2nd or 3rd time? It's just due diligence because some scrub in the press can pick this thread up and we'll see a headline on Google saying Model S stranded: John Broder was right. If the car really did fail, you can exercise lemon laws, get money for it if you are seriously dissatisfied, and take your $100k and go buy a Porsche Panamera.

In addition, I wouldn't worry too much about the car being disassembled. I think that's actually a better thing. Often times in electronics, the refurbished products come out better than production because it's scrutinized THAT much more.

Tell them to pick up your car and insist on a loaner. That's pretty much all you can do.

Tough crowd. P16490, Grey 85, pic of car AND family...delivery on Saturday, next time I'll have my son hold up a New York Times. Does anyone have information on inverter cooling failures?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 1,258
P164XX. Look up my user name on Rennlist, 6Speed, NASA/PCA club racing, or any of the BMW/Ford Truck forums or just PM me when your in Austin, I'll show you my dead Model S. I'm just a guy who bought my wife the car we wanted, nothing more nothing less.

I know a lot of people have stock, but some of us are just car buyers with typical buyers expectations. Not everyone is in the game.

Sorry for the rude welcome, consolidated. Manners are usually better here. They're just cranky over the new pricing and some have bet their entire life savings on the stock. Earnings call is this week. So everything on the forum is a bit dramatic right now. :)

And REALLY sorry you've had these problems right off the bat with your beautiful new car. I've had a Roadster for 2+ years. After a problem that necessitated replacing the battery, I was nervous about trusting it on roadtrips. I'm happy to say that it has been reliable ever since that day. Tesla will make it right.

Tough crowd. P16490, Grey 85, pic of car AND family...delivery on Saturday, next time I'll have my son hold up a New York Times. Does anyone have information on inverter cooling failures?

Beautiful automobile and beautiful family. I'm betting you will be taken care of and be a satisfied owner. All machines are subject to failure but since we are for the most part, not familiar with this technology, we feel stranded and unsure what to do. Good luck to you.

Horrible to have it fail right away, but better now than on a road trip. I wouldn't worry at all the quality of the vehicle after having it replaced.

As others have stated,with electronics you either get immediate failures, or a long life. If you can get through that initial failure window you'll have a long lasting reliable machine.

Every auto manufacture has lemons and some folks are just unlucky to get one. Sorry to hear about your experience. By the way, I drove a good 1000 miles before really taking any 100+mile road trip so that I'm familiar with the car and the car is familiar with me. And also discover as many bugs as possible before taking the whole family out. Best of luck and keep us updated.

P164XX. Look up my user name on Rennlist, 6Speed, NASA/PCA club racing, or any of the BMW/Ford Truck forums or just PM me when your in Austin, I'll show you my dead Model S. I'm just a guy who bought my wife the car we wanted, nothing more nothing less.

I know a lot of people have stock, but some of us are just car buyers with typical buyers expectations. Not everyone is in the game.

Sorry you are going through this. Brian and the other service people in Austin have been awesome so far so you should get well taken care of. I agree, if they replace the drivetrain (not what you want to happen of course), it won't affect the car long term or make it not like new.

- - - Updated - - -

That is the Austin service center. I hope we can all just say 'welcome!' now and hope it gets fixed fast.

The price of a new car has nothing to do with its reliability ... Ferraris are among the most unreliable cars on the market. Sure sucks what happened to your wife, but it could have happened with any car.

THIS IS so TRUE! Ferraris are beautiful machines (La Bella Macchina) but both the 360 and 430 I've owned are just money pits. You have to have $5k a year just at the ready for anything that might happen.

I'm sure Tesla will get your issues resolved this week. Sorry to hear about your experience. It's a car. It happens.

When I first got my car (VIN P1653), I had the inverter fail twice in the first 1000 miles. Both cases I lost almost all power in traffic. I ended up having to pull away from a stoplight, gaining speed at about 2 MPH per second--to pull over. Very embarrassing and something that really shook my confidence in the car.

Tesla replaced the inverter (I never did hear the cause), and the car has been rock solid in the 10,000 miles since.

That is the Austin service center. I hope we can all just say 'welcome!' now and hope it gets fixed fast.

^^^This. Welcome! Tesla has been superb in my experience. It's unfortunate how electronics can fail immediately sometimes. They will fix your wife's car and you'll all love it.
Please believe that the folks on this forum are wonderful.
FWIW I have multiple thousands of Tesla shares and it never crossed my mind that your story was anything but truth.
However I must admit; I'm still LMAO @ "idiot troll hunters." :smile:

Last edited:
What I don't get is how did this get out of the factory? Anything failing that quickly in the customer's hand seems to have missed a check somewhere. The car failed almost immediately. Seems like this should be caught either by factory testing or by the service delivery center running a 30 minute pre-delivery test drive or some such.