Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car delivered yesterday, died 10 times today, stranding my family.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all is well.

Tesla replaced two of the three coolant pumps in the car, both failed essentially simultaneously which caused them concern about it being a batch failure or an upstream issue that killed the pumps. Both were looked into and CA released the car after reviewing the car's logs to check for out of normal temperature ranges that could have caused damage elsewhere.

Tesla service was exceptional from speediness, pick-up, drop off and communication as many of you predicted. They emptied the Tesla gift store in the back seat to make up for a bad first day of electric car ownership. Thanks to the Tesla guy in CA who talked my wife thru it, and the Austin crew, nice job fellas.

So all is well.

Tesla service was exceptional from speediness, pick-up, drop off and communication as many of you predicted. They emptied the Tesla gift store in the back seat to make up for a bad first day of electric car ownership. Thanks to the Tesla guy in CA who talked my wife thru it, and the Austin crew, nice job fellas.

Starting Afresh: Congratulations on your handsome family and new car.
You will absolutely love it, and really enjoy driving/using it.

Your timing for delivery is at the tip of a massive Iceberg: lots happening this week in production, 2 Q earnings announcements, FIRST 18 customer car delivery in EU (Norway), slightly behind schedule for Texas Supercharger opening and introductions (DFW to Austin and DFW to Houston).

Great that the SC folks were able to solve the problem and salve your distraught outlook.

Time heals almost all wounds.
Two or three months from now you will be re-telling this story and people will be rolling: because it all worked out.

Something that may have been the cause that I read in a similar thread, does your wife move around a lot in the seat? The car has something called a deadman's seat (sorry if i messed that up) that shuts the car off immediately if the weight distribution is off so far in a way that the vehicles computer systems senses there is no one in the seat. Maybe test this out, maybe just maybe the sensor is off and/or to sensitive. Just a suggestion hopefully it helps

I think consolidated's story is an important lesson. Being that this is a new enough technology, one cannot easily determine the cause of failure could often be done on an ICE. I intend to play around town with my MS for as long as possible before taking her on any distance where "getting stranded" would pose a significant risk.

I'm going the "trial by fire" route instead, as I'm picking it up at the factory and driving it 400 miles to my house. :) I figure that way if there's any problems I can find it on day one, get it resolved as soon as possible, and have peace of mind going forward.

Consolidated, I'm glad everything worked out for you and that Tesla took good care of you. It seems this isn't terribly uncommon, but the way Tesla has treated the customers who've had problems soon after delivery is what's made the difference. The technology involved is such a departure from what everybody else is doing so some growing pains are to be expected.

I think it would make sense to do more than a room temp test at the factory. Tri temp is pretty much standard reliability testing methodology. Their indoor test track at 72 degrees probably doesn't capture what the car is going to suffer through in summer in TX (or AZ in my case). I managed to get the P85 loaner into reduced performance mode after some spirited driving in the 110 degree afternoon.

My S had gone 6000 miles before it was able to 'hot soak' its internals in the intense sunlight. But that doesn't match the heat in Austin on day one for the OP. Just no way the factory can do this in Fremont. All they do is a 25 mile dyno run same as all car mfrs do.

Austin and Phoenix Service Centers are in a unique position to hot-soak the new cars all day in the sun, then do a 30 mile test run stressing all the cooling/charging systems. Or else tell the new owners to do it themselves: Drive in ever-increasing radius circles for 100 or more miles. Then if car craps out the flatbed doesn't take too long to retrieve car. And buyers will get to know car during this 'do your own burn-in' run.
--

I'm going the "trial by fire" route instead, as I'm picking it up at the factory and driving it 400 miles to my house. :) I figure that way if there's any problems I can find it on day one, get it resolved as soon as possible, and have peace of mind going forward.

Consolidated, I'm glad everything worked out for you and that Tesla took good care of you. It seems this isn't terribly uncommon, but the way Tesla has treated the customers who've had problems soon after delivery is what's made the difference. The technology involved is such a departure from what everybody else is doing so some growing pains are to be expected.

Gear: We thought the same thing and picked up our MS in Fremont and drove it down to Los Angeles, trouble free. Since then we have now thrice found the car "dead" with the dreaded "driver window down" syndrome. We've had two new 12v batteries installed, the most recent of which was last week (we were told that the new "red" batteries are more reliable -- we'll see). We've also had the 85kWh battery pack replaced once -- The second or third time the car died Tesla thought it was the 12v battery again and replaced it, but found that the car was still not operating properly. They wound up keeping the car for the better part of a week because they couldn't figure out the problem -- but ultimately decided it was the traction battery, not the 12v. We thought things were good until last week, when the driver's window was down again.

Tesla service has been a mixed bag. Sometimes they've been wonderful; other times not. One time they had us waiting for over 4 hours to have the car towed, despite promising they'd be there in an hour. This last week they promised to have the car back last Friday, but never called and didn't return the car (we were out of town and our daughter was dealing with West L.A. Service). I texted them Sunday night after we had returned, and they returned the car at 6:00 a.m. on Monday! As I said, mixed bag.

Consolidated: glad they fixed the car for you. It's wonderful when it's working, which has been most of the time -- but my wife calls me just about every day to make sure I got to the office without a problem. I'm jealous that you got a backseat full of swag. That's never happened to us!

So all is well.

Tesla replaced two of the three coolant pumps in the car, both failed essentially simultaneously which caused them concern about it being a batch failure or an upstream issue that killed the pumps. Both were looked into and CA released the car after reviewing the car's logs to check for out of normal temperature ranges that could have caused damage elsewhere.

Despite a bad first day of ownership... I'm glad that TM was able to resolve your troubles with the utmost speed and haste. Happy motoring Consolidated!!!

Gear: We thought the same thing and picked up our MS in Fremont and drove it down to Los Angeles, trouble free. Since then we have now thrice found the car "dead" with the dreaded "driver window down" syndrome. We've had two new 12v batteries installed, the most recent of which was last week (we were told that the new "red" batteries are more reliable -- we'll see). We've also had the 85kWh battery pack replaced once -- The second or third time the car died Tesla thought it was the 12v battery again and replaced it, but found that the car was still not operating properly. They wound up keeping the car for the better part of a week because they couldn't figure out the problem -- but ultimately decided it was the traction battery, not the 12v. We thought things were good until last week, when the driver's window was down again.

Tesla service has been a mixed bag. Sometimes they've been wonderful; other times not. One time they had us waiting for over 4 hours to have the car towed, despite promising they'd be there in an hour. This last week they promised to have the car back last Friday, but never called and didn't return the car (we were out of town and our daughter was dealing with West L.A. Service). I texted them Sunday night after we had returned, and they returned the car at 6:00 a.m. on Monday! As I said, mixed bag.

Consolidated: glad they fixed the car for you. It's wonderful when it's working, which has been most of the time -- but my wife calls me just about every day to make sure I got to the office without a problem. I'm jealous that you got a backseat full of swag. That's never happened to us!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Opus. Hopefully Tesla Service can make things right for you. :(

I have a friend who used to be the National Vehicle Delivery Manager for Land Rover USA. He told me so many horror stories that you could write a book on the subject.

Book--try a whole encyclopedia set. Nightmare sales, service and don't get me start on quality (even the new ones).

My favorite was when I called Range Rover when it broke down on the side of the road, and they just told me "well find a tow truck".

Ok, back to Tesla--I'm feeling good.