Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Did Nothing [to avoid potential collision while driving in manual mode]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
On 2 separate occasions, while driving on a multilane highway in the city, a car to my left started coming close to me wanting to get in the lane I was in. As the cars came closer, I veered to the right so the cars wouldn't hit me. They continued to get closer to me so I jammed on the brakes so they wouldn't hit me. On both occasions the car did nothing to avoid a collision. I was in manual mode. Why didn't the car sound an alarm and/or veer to the right on its own? The car did nothing.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
The car doesn’t actively avoid side collisions if you’re driving manually, and your perception of where the adjacent cars were might have been off a bit. The car does have forward collision avoidance even when you drive manually. The blind spot alert only happens if you have your turn signal on when there’s a car next to you.

Well, the system is not 100% reliable.
Sometimes the car will warn you, sometimes it will warn you after the danger and sometimes it won't do a thing. That's my experience anyway.
The bottom line : don't trust the car regarding those safety systems.

Yup- don't think there's any system, when driving manually, that would apply there.

It'll warn you if YOU try moving sideways into a lane with another car in it (assuming you have Controls > Autopilot > Blind Spot Collision Warning Chime enabled) but all the active collision warning/avoidance stuff in manual mode is only forward.

Lane assist even lists a vehicle drifting into your lane as among the situations it may not NOT handle.

Reactions: XPsionic
FWIW I've had mine move over to the side of its own lane when someone began drifting into mine while driving on AP.

My understanding is it won't LEAVE your lane to do this though, but the fact it visibly moved before I'd had a chance to react to the guy coming over gave me a head start on taking over and moving further away from him.

I know FSDBeta also moves over to the right side of the lane on local roads when there's say an oncoming large truck, but I haven't seen how it reacts to someone coming into your lane on a multi-lane road.

Reactions: KenC