Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car didn't automatically start charging after power restoration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in Atlantic Canada. We had a bit of a blow last night which resulted in some (a lot) of power outages. The car was connected to my wall charger when the power went out and had been charging for about a half hour.

I went to bed with no power. The power came back on at 1AM but I didn't think to check to see if the car had started charging again. It hadn't. Went to pre-warm up the car to head to work this morning and discovered that it was still at 35%. It only started charging again after I woke it up from the app.

Not sure if this is a commonly known thing but I'll definitely be waking up the car as soon as power comes back next time (and there will be a next time). I tried the scheduled charging but kept having to turn it off as the car wouldn't charge any time except the scheduled charging time so it was a PITA when trying to take advantage of free chargers while out running around.

So I live in Atlantic Canada. We had a bit of a blow last night which resulted in some (a lot) of power outages. The car was connected to my wall charger when the power went out and had been charging for about a half hour.

I went to bed with no power. The power came back on at 1AM but I didn't think to check to see if the car had started charging again. It hadn't. Went to pre-warm up the car to head to work this morning and discovered that it was still at 35%. It only started charging again after I woke it up from the app.

Not sure if this is a commonly known thing but I'll definitely be waking up the car as soon as power comes back next time (and there will be a next time). I tried the scheduled charging but kept having to turn it off as the car wouldn't charge any time except the scheduled charging time so it was a PITA when trying to take advantage of free chargers while out running around.

The app allows you to start charging manually at public chargers without changing the scheduled charging settings.

Yeah, I’ve notice that too. I have a WallConnector at a remote location that I typically leave the breaker off on. I’d love to plug in, then go in and turn the breaker on but it is not happy when I do that. I think it’s for safety reasons.

This is likely the same issue that affects owners of EVSEs with scheduled charging features, such as the JuiceBox and ChargePoint units. Scheduling a charge from the car works fine, but trying to do so from the EVSE doesn't work so well, since the Tesla ignores the eventual advertised availability of power from the EVSE when the car is asleep:

eMotorwerks JuiceBox Smart Charging and Model 3 Incompatibility Update

In theory, charging should resume if the car happens to wake up after the power is restored. (This happens roughly once every day or two, in my experience, at random times.) Your account of charging starting after you checked the car's status with the app (which of course wakes up the car) suggests that charging will indeed start if the car wakes up after the power outage.

You might want to file a bug report with Tesla. They've known about this problem for ages, but they've done nothing to fix it. Although scheduled charging features from third-party EVSEs are mostly redundant with what Tesla offers in its cars, power outages can affect anybody and at any time.

This is likely the same issue that affects owners of EVSEs with scheduled charging features, such as the JuiceBox and ChargePoint units. Scheduling a charge from the car works fine, but trying to do so from the EVSE doesn't work so well, since the Tesla ignores the eventual advertised availability of power from the EVSE when the car is asleep:

eMotorwerks JuiceBox Smart Charging and Model 3 Incompatibility Update

In theory, charging should resume if the car happens to wake up after the power is restored. (This happens roughly once every day or two, in my experience, at random times.) Your account of charging starting after you checked the car's status with the app (which of course wakes up the car) suggests that charging will indeed start if the car wakes up after the power outage.

You might want to file a bug report with Tesla. They've known about this problem for ages, but they've done nothing to fix it. Although scheduled charging features from third-party EVSEs are mostly redundant with what Tesla offers in its cars, power outages can affect anybody and at any time.
So where do I file a bug report? The Contact link on Tesla's site doesn't really have an option for that.

So where do I file a bug report? The Contact link on Tesla's site doesn't really have an option for that.

Tesla used to have an e-mail for this sort of thing, but the last time I sent an e-mail there, I got an auto-reply saying it was no longer being monitored. As far as I can tell, this "contact us" Web page seems to be the closest equivalent today; however, there seems to be a 400-character limit to messages, which can be limiting if the problem is complex. It should be possible to embed a link to a URL where the problem is described in more detail, though. FWIW, I just posted a request for attention to this issue using that link, including this thread's URL.

As @Zaxxon says, you can do it from the car, but the message length is even shorter than the 400-character limit on the Web page (or maybe it just stops recording at the briefest pause). I've never received any feedback from this type of bug report, which makes it hard to say with certainty that Tesla is actually monitoring these reports.

The method that seems to get the most rapid response, but that's very hit-or-miss (mostly miss) is to Tweet at Elon Musk. If the issue catches his interest, action will be swift. If not (which is more likely), it may not make it into a queue for action.

On the off chance that Tesla has decided to begin monitoring it again, the old bug-reporting e-mail was [email protected].