Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S

A couple of months ago I've been hearing this loud noise coming from the rear of the car every single time I accelerate.

I live 8 hours near a service center with a long appointment wait time so I didn’t get to fix that issue.

A week ago I heard a loud clunk and the dash read “unable to drive pull over safely” and my car just died and It read “read motor disabled”

Today, I tried to open to get something from inside of it today and it's not even able to open like it's completely dead.

What could it be? Yes I'm going to take it to the service center but I wanted to see if this has happened to any of you and what was the problem and how much did it cost to get repaired?

A little scared of the amount I will get invoiced.

I only have Battery limited warranty & Drive unit limited warranty. Would this cover it?

2014 Model S

A couple of months ago I've been hearing this loud noise coming from the rear of the car every single time I accelerate.

I live 8 hours near a service center with a long appointment wait time so I didn’t get to fix that issue.

A week ago I heard a loud clunk and the dash read “unable to drive pull over safely” and my car just died and It read “read motor disabled”

Today, I tried to open to get something from inside of it today and it's not even able to open like it's completely dead.

What could it be? Yes I'm going to take it to the service center but I wanted to see if this has happened to any of you and what was the problem and how much did it cost to get repaired?

A little scared of the amount I will get invoiced.

I only have Battery limited warranty & Drive unit limited warranty. Would this cover it?
How old is your 12v battery? Completely dead car could mean an easy fix with the 12v replacement. It's about $200.

The noise might mean it's time for a drive unit replacement. It's free with the 8 year battery/drive unit warranty.

You should be able to "jump start" the car 12V system by using the posts behind the nose cone (assuming still on original bumper). Where in TX are you that you are 8hrs away from a Service Center?

I realize you might be out of warranty. I believe ReCell is in San Antonio area if that happens to be close to you... might be worth sending the car there if your warranty has expired. https://recell-ev.com/