Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car disconnects from Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figure when the car wakes up and is able to connect to LTE with 3 bars, that’s probably not the issue? I’ll have to go out somewhere with amazing signal, disable Sentry, let the car sleep, and then see if I can connect remotely. Mind you I’ve had Teslas for 3.5 years and this has never happened before, so I’m dubious it’s a signal issue…
You and I seem to be pretty much on the same page.

I figure when the car wakes up and is able to connect to LTE with 3 bars, that’s probably not the issue? I’ll have to go out somewhere with amazing signal, disable Sentry, let the car sleep, and then see if I can connect remotely. Mind you I’ve had Teslas for 3.5 years and this has never happened before, so I’m dubious it’s a signal issue…
3 bars should do fine.

Of course there is a distinct noise which I thought had been there 'forever' and I just pegged as a pedestrian warning? And it's only operable when you fire the old buggy up so I never considered it as a problem/nuisance. Am I missing something?
Yes. 😂 Take a video of walking around the front of your car with it awake, preferably with the HVAC system off. We’d appreciate it!

We have a 2021 Model S refresh, LR. We have had it for just about a year now and it has been a great car. We have a new development that we are having some difficulty understanding though. We use an iPhone 13 and an Apple Watch 7, both using LTE and Wi-Fi to communicate with the car. Until about the last few weeks we have had no trouble staying connected when we are no longer in the vehicle. Recently however, the car has been disconnecting itself from all of our devices after about 30-45 minutes after we park and leave it. It is using the same Wi-Fi system we have been using for more than a year and all of the software updates with the car, the watches, and the phones are current. It is very easy to reconnect if we just walk up to the car and use Bluetooth to reconnect but, of course, that necessitates a trip back to the car and kind of defeats the remote connection feature. Of course we have tried rebooting the car and have even done a power down overnight to see if that would change anything but it has not. We have a service appointment scheduled for next week but I'm not sure how much they will be able to figure this out either. Any help would be appreciated.
Update. I went ahead and scheduled a service call for tomorrow October 3 but Tesla contacted me today and advised me that they are pretty sure this is a software issue that they need to work on. That is pretty much what I have been thinking it is so I am glad they are doing that and I will let you know how it develops.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Update. I went ahead and scheduled a service call for tomorrow October 3 but Tesla contacted me today and advised me that they are pretty sure this is a software issue that they need to work on. That is pretty much what I have been thinking it is so I am glad they are doing that and I will let you know how it develops.
Not saying they’re incorrect this time, but their solution to a lot of customer complaints is that a firmware update will resolve it. I don’t put too much stake in that response…

We have a 2021 Model S refresh, LR. We have had it for just about a year now and it has been a great car. We have a new development that we are having some difficulty understanding though. We use an iPhone 13 and an Apple Watch 7, both using LTE and Wi-Fi to communicate with the car. Until about the last few weeks we have had no trouble staying connected when we are no longer in the vehicle. Recently however, the car has been disconnecting itself from all of our devices after about 30-45 minutes after we park and leave it. It is using the same Wi-Fi system we have been using for more than a year and all of the software updates with the car, the watches, and the phones are current. It is very easy to reconnect if we just walk up to the car and use Bluetooth to reconnect but, of course, that necessitates a trip back to the car and kind of defeats the remote connection feature. Of course we have tried rebooting the car and have even done a power down overnight to see if that would change anything but it has not. We have a service appointment scheduled for next week but I'm not sure how much they will be able to figure this out either. Any help would be appreciated.
Final update!!! - The Tesla Service center contacted me this morning and verified what was going on, downloaded the files from the car and just now finished uploading a new software update which solved the problem! So far, at least, everything seems to be working just like it should be!

Reactions: MNDan
Final update!!! - The Tesla Service center contacted me this morning and verified what was going on, downloaded the files from the car and just now finished uploading a new software update which solved the problem! So far, at least, everything seems to be working just like it should be!
That’s interesting. If they just finished uploading a new software update how do you know it’s solved the problem? The car needs time to go to sleep before reproducing the issue.

What software did they upload?

Hrmmm. Not sure I buy that from them. Did you leave the car alone for a good hour or two and make sure it was properly asleep?
Well it "broke". It is not connected this morning. I reported this to Tesla Service and they say that "it appears to be an issue when the vehicle sleeps" and that they are probably going to "elevate it to engineering". They went on to say that some customers have reported that "enabling Sentry Mode helps maintain connectivity ". It is, of course, a bit of a nuisance but I am very pleased at how responsive they have been and I am optimistic that they will get to the bottom of this sooner, if not later. Even though I have a problem I really appreciate their efforts. And, otherwise, I have a great car. I will let you know how it develops.

Reactions: brainhouston
Well it "broke". It is not connected this morning. I reported this to Tesla Service and they say that "it appears to be an issue when the vehicle sleeps" and that they are probably going to "elevate it to engineering". They went on to say that some customers have reported that "enabling Sentry Mode helps maintain connectivity ". It is, of course, a bit of a nuisance but I am very pleased at how responsive they have been and I am optimistic that they will get to the bottom of this sooner, if not later. Even though I have a problem I really appreciate their efforts. And, otherwise, I have a great car. I will let you know how it develops.
Please do. And leaving Sentry on is not a solution if you don’t need it on as it’s quite energy wasteful. It does, however, result in the car never sleeping thus the car never goes offline - as we know. Just a nuisance, though, to have to work around the problem by wasting a lot of energy. If you leave Sentry on all day at home you’ll see a noticeable increase in your electricity bill - if you pay attention to such things.

Reactions: brainhouston
I have the same car of the same vintage and recently a very similar problem, although would not connect remotely at all, for five or six days. I tried seemingly everything as well. Since no one has suggested this: The thing that finally worked was tapping on the bluetooth icon on the screen in the car, then the info icon- the tiny lower case i in the circle- then I followed the step-by-step troubleshooting instructions in order, even though I had done them already...No problems now.