Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car does not charge when cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car does not want to charge when it is cold outside. I keep getting a CP_A004 error. Was thinking it was my wall connector but it works fine when I park in my heated garage and use it. I also defrosted my car and it started charging for a bit but then stopped again once it got cold. Strange.

Any thoughts on this?

Something is broken. Time for a service appt.

To assist in that, try to verify it isn't the HPWC by trying to use the UMC instead, or invite a buddy to charge their tesla at your wall connector.

Do a search for CP_A004 and you'll find some more information and troubleshooting steps.
Tried my mobile connector this morning and it didn’t work either. Sitting at a supercharger right now and that’s not working either!!! WTH

I did schedule an appointment with service. Unfortunately, I may need to get it towed because it is now giving me a constant error DI_a168 and CP_a004. If I can’t charge tonight I won’t be able to make it home from work tomorrow!!

Last edited:
Tried my mobile connector this morning and it didn’t work either. Sitting at a supercharger right now and that’s not working either!!! WTH
When you drove to the Supercharger (SC) did you enter the SC as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system (even though you knew the route to drive to the SC)? Normally when you navigate to a SC the Tesla Model Y will start to precondition the battery for optimal charging speed and efficiency when using the SC. Even if you only have a short drive to the SC and the battery may not be fully preconditioned for the SC the battery will be at least partially warmed when you arrive at the SC.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
When you drove to the Supercharger (SC) did you enter the SC as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system (even though you knew the route to drive to the SC)? Normally when you navigate to a SC the Tesla Model Y will start to precondition the battery for optimal charging speed and efficiency when using the SC. Even if you only have a short drive to the SC and the battery may not be fully preconditioned for the SC the battery will be at least partially warmed when you arrive at the SC.
Yes, I put it as a destination in my navigation. I did that because I know it preconditions the battery. I figured the supercharger would work but I figured wrong!

Yes, I put it as a destination in my navigation. I did that because I know it preconditions the battery. I figured the supercharger would work but I figured wrong!
Contact Tesla Roadside Assistance, preferably while plugged in, the Tesla vehicle may provide the Roadside Assistance team with one or more error codes (could be in addition to the code you noted.) Tesla will advise on next steps.

You could also try rebooting the vehicle (holding down the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 15 seconds.) It does however seem like this is related to a faulty battery temperature sensor system. (I am not familiar with how the Tesla Model Y measures the battery temperature. In the GM Volt vehicle there are multiple temperature sensors in the battery pack. Even if several of the sensors fail the system using readings from all of the temperature sensors so that a single bad temperature sensor or even several bad temperature sensors will not disable the vehicle's battery. The temperature sensors are part of the battery pack and not repairable without removing, replacing the battery pack.)

Last edited:
Contact Tesla Roadside Assistance, preferably while plugged in, the Tesla vehicle may provide the Roadside Assistance team with one or more error codes (could be in addition to the code you noted.) Tesla will advise on next steps.

You could also try rebooting the vehicle (holding down the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for 15 seconds.) It does however seem like this is related to a faulty battery temperature sensor system. (I am not familiar with how the Tesla Model Y measures the battery temperature. In the GM Volt vehicle there are multiple temperature sensors in the battery pack. Even if several of the sensors fail the system using readings from all of the temperature sensors so that a single bad temperature sensor or even several bad temperature sensors will not disable the vehicle's battery. The temperature sensors are part of the battery pack and not repairable without removing, replacing the battery pack.)
Wow, I hope my battery doesn’t need pulled. I called my local Tesla service and I’m going to drop it off after work.

What’s funny is I went out to my car to see if the error codes where still there and they are not. Coincidentally the car is sitting in the sun now and warming up. I just can’t help but think it’s cold related. So you may be on to something. I bet my car would charge now. I tried rebooting twice this morning at the supercharger and it still wouldn’t let me charge.

I have had these errors pop up a few times since I owned the car but they always eventually went away and my car would charge.

Wow, I hope my battery doesn’t need pulled. I called my local Tesla service and I’m going to drop it off after work.

What’s funny is I went out to my car to see if the error codes where still there and they are not. Coincidentally the car is sitting in the sun now and warming up. I just can’t help but think it’s cold related. So you may be on to something. I bet my car would charge now. I tried rebooting twice this morning at the supercharger and it still wouldn’t let me charge.

I have had these errors pop up a few times since I owned the car but they always eventually went away and my car would charge.
If you think it would charge now... charge it at least for a while. You wouldn't want vampire drain to leave you stranded at work.

Yeah, we've seen a few threads like this over the years. Suspicion kind of confirmed since your car does actually show errors about it. It's not able to warm the battery up for some reason. Could be a sensor or could be something in the actual warming process. But yes with below freezing, it will correctly not allow charging the battery until it gets to warm up some to prevent damage. But normally, that can do some warming in 10 or 15 minutes and get going, but in this case, it seems like it's not doing that.

Reactions: waffle07
You should take a photo of the screen message when this happens. Attach the photo to the Service Request. Keep pressing Tesla Service on this issue. If Tesla Service is unresponsive try Tesla Roadside Assistance. If Tesla Roadside Assistance determines that you should not drive the vehicle a flat bed will be sent to your location and the Tesla vehicle will be towed to the Service Center.

It is my understanding that it is Tesla's internal service policy that when a Tesla vehicle that is still under warranty is towed to the Tesla Service Center that the Service Center technician must attempt to determine what is wrong with the vehicle within 24 hours of the vehicle being towed to the Service Center.

You should take a photo of the screen message when this happens. Attach the photo to the Service Request. Keep pressing Tesla Service on this issue. If Tesla Service is unresponsive try Tesla Roadside Assistance. If Tesla Roadside Assistance determines that you should not drive the vehicle a flat bed will be sent to your location and the Tesla vehicle will be towed to the Service Center.

It is my understanding that it is Tesla's internal service policy that when a Tesla vehicle that is still under warranty is towed to the Tesla Service Center that the Service Center technician must attempt to determine what is wrong with the vehicle within 24 hours of the vehicle being towed to the Service Center.
Pictures, videos, etc really do motivate Tesla service. I’ve had them tell me there’s no issue before, then I post a video of it happening to Imgur and link it in the SR. Then they say oh yeah we should fix that. Showing the steps a reasonable person would do to get around an issue, unplug, plug, error code, etc as proof. Unfortunately Tesla service isn’t going to go out of their way to help you, in my experience you have to prove the issue to them.

Last edited:
Well woke up with the error again this morning. Set up another service request. Although my car did charge last night.
13325C19-CBD8-454D-81FF-EB543A8E35B3.jpeg
33A572B1-4F6B-4001-96B8-61BA7727542E.jpeg
2F1D72FE-D334-415B-8589-75794404C8BF.jpeg

I don't like that the garage door is closed on the charging cable. Still, if the error message appears when using both the Wall Connector and the Mobile Connector then we can rule out the Wall Connector and Mobile Connector as the source of the problem. The next link in the chain is the charging port. That and the cable wiring from the charging port to the ECU.

I don't like that the garage door is closed on the charging cable. Still, if the error message appears when using both the Wall Connector and the Mobile Connector then we can rule out the Wall Connector and Mobile Connector as the source of the problem. The next link in the chain is the charging port. That and the cable wiring from the charging port to the ECU.
DD6D21F0-7399-4BC9-94DA-9442401638FC.jpeg

I have this that prevents the cable from getting squished under the garage door, I can actually move the cable freely! Pretty slick right?!

I would agree that if it’s giving me this error with the Wall Connector, Mobile Connector, and a supercharger then it’s an issue with the car.

I appreciate all the feedback guys. It seems like I just need Tesla to take this seriously and actually try to diagnose the issue. I hope this doesn’t lead to a lemon law issue! I really like my Tesla but it’s kind of a dealbreaker if it only charges when it wants to.

Also - I forgot to mention it was only 50F this morning and it still gave me an error.

Last edited: