Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car does not turn off. Thinks I’m still inside.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem and know the fix.

My car thinks I am still inside and I ruled out the seat sensor since I tested this with the car going in park when slowly rolling back. I did notice when I open my drivers door the car doesn’t show it’s open. Also the music does not turn down like it did when my door opened. It continues to play while I’m outside the car. The window moves up and down when I open the door, but I am guessing a sensor doesn’t think it’s open and doesn’t shut the car down, thinking I am still inside.

I did a soft and hard reset with the scroller wheels and foot on the brake. I also powered the car down and turned it back on after a minute. Still the same problem.

The only time I can get it to shut down is when I go to plug the car in and open the charging port. It turns off.

anyone run into the same problem?
Thanks!

I had the same issue. Turned out to be the seat sensor. There's a sensor in the seat that when you sit it turns the car on. When you get off the seat, the car turns off. The sensor in the seat was bad. They replaced the driver side seat under warranty. Problem fixed.

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, my car has over 50,000 miles so it is out of warranty. Went to Tesla Service Center and they said i have to replace the whole seat which is $3,500. there must be another way to just replace the sensor. Any suggestions?

If I am on the phone and switch to the phone instead of car when I exit the radio turns on and sometimes has played for hours.
Are you streaming thru the phone or something similar?
I just chalk it up to a software glitch, 100% of the time.mine has done it it has been related to parking while on a bluetooth call and exiting the car.

Reactions: DSolie
If I am on the phone and switch to the phone instead of car when I exit the radio turns on and sometimes has played for hours.
Are you streaming thru the phone or something similar?
I just chalk it up to a software glitch, 100% of the time.mine has done it it has been related to parking while on a bluetooth call and exiting the car.
I definitely have to remove my phone as audio source or it just turns back on. So my routine is to switch to streaming audio, open drivers door, click security and power off, and then shut door. Any other doors open and screens and music turns back on.