Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car doesn't lock when door is not shut all the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was walking away from car and noticed the car was not auto locking. So tried to use the app to lock the car and it wouldn't lock. Turns out the car will not lock if one of the doors sit not shut all the way at the the first release. A traditional car will still lock and can not be open even at the first release.

With this in mind, I will probably no longer rely on auto lock. I know a lot of you like to just walk away, but if a door is not fully shut, you can leave your car unlocked.

Was walking away from car and noticed the car was not auto locking. So tried to use the app to lock the car and it wouldn't lock. Turns out the car will not lock if one of the doors sit not shut all the way at the the first release. A traditional car will still lock and can not be open even at the first release.

With this in mind, I will probably no longer rely on auto lock. I know a lot of you like to just walk away, but if a door is not fully shut, you can leave your car unlocked.
In this regard my Model S behaves just like every other car I have ever owned. None has ever locked if all doors are not completely closed. Obviously YMMV.

I agree that no car I have owned ever locked when a door was open or almost closed. The difference is that my other cars would provide an indication of this when locking. For example if when conditions were perfect my lights would flash to confirm lock or the horn/alarm would chirp, this would not be present when the vehicle would not lock due to an imperfect situation of some kind. Maybe that could be a push notification?

Have found mine to be very reliable. It will not lock if second key is left in the car. Does the light in your refrig always go off when door closes? I sometimes have a problem with that

Before walking away from my (even though I have autolock on), I tend to just arm it manually from the remote just in case.

My variation: I leave the autolock to do its thing if I am parked in a relatively empty lot and at a safe distance. I manually lock in a crowded lot with lots of cars and/or many people walking around, mainly because I find the time delay of the autolock a little bit disconcerting depending on the situation. Makes me wish the time delay were programmable.

My variation: I leave the autolock to do its thing if I am parked in a relatively empty lot and at a safe distance. I manually lock in a crowded lot with lots of cars and/or many people walking around, mainly because I find the time delay of the autolock a little bit disconcerting depending on the situation. Makes me wish the time delay were programmable.

I don't think there any time delay to program. It only depends on how far the key fob is. The received strength of its signal to be more specific.

I don't think there any time delay to program. It only depends on how far the key fob is. The received strength of its signal to be more specific.

My experience so far indicates that there is a time delay that is not related to the distance between the fob and the car. It remains pretty consistent - about 20 seconds in my case. It seems to start the countdown as soon as I close the door and start moving away from the car and locks up in 20 seconds regardless of whether or not I stop 5, 10, 15 feet away or keep on moving.

Last edited:
OK, so on my Volt I put the fob on the rear window, tried to start the car and it says "Remote Not Detected", so you can't start the car without the fob in driver-ish position.

However, you can start the car with the remote (say from your kitchen near the garage, for example) to start the Heat/AC going...or also from the app.