Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car doesn't walk-away lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it possibly be behavior related?

I.e. do you leave your phone in the car when you play tennis? (I know this seems obvious, but I have to ask anyway)

Or maybe you don't even take your phone when you play tennis, but instead use the key card. When you unlock the car using your key card, it doesn't even matter if you have your phone on you when you exit the vehicle, you must lock the car with the key card.

Thanks, but I do take my phone with me when I leave the car. I can only assume the car thinks the tennis courts are my second home. :) Actually, they are not far from my home as the crow flies (say about 1000 feet. I'll experiment with parking in nearby locations to the courts to see if the behavior changes.

Well yeah, 1000 feet is less than 1/4 mile, and I think that's the distance that the car considers "home" (I think I remember it either saying this, or it being a setting, but I can't find it now).
Thanks. Makes sense I guess. Although ironically when I first got my car a year ago it thought I was charging away from home (showed "other") on charge info. I found it was because the Google location of my home address was about 70 feet from my garage location. I had Google move their record of my address to my garage (which is adjacent to my entrance door), and it fixed the issue.

After the latest update, mine doesn't work either. I use my iPhone (with Bluetooth on and the Tesla app) to unlock my car. It stopped automatically locking and unlocking with the latest software build for me. I also get an yellow alert saying to lock phone key isn't available and to lock it manually.. but I used the phone. Off topic, but after the software update -- my car doesn't ding when a green light is on either (even though the setting is on).

Version 2023.2.0.5

Thanks, but I do take my phone with me when I leave the car. I can only assume the car thinks the tennis courts are my second home. :) Actually, they are not far from my home as the crow flies (say about 1000 feet. I'll experiment with parking in nearby locations to the courts to see if the behavior changes.
If that is the answer, you could artificially define home as a point a little

The attached note is from the Owner's Manual under Sentry Mode. From my experience, the same distance applies to Walk-Away Door Lock.

Attachments

• Sentry Mode Radius.jpg
    Sentry Mode Radius.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Lost Petrol