Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, when I've got "Ionic 6 has something that VW ID.4 doesn't have", out of curiosity I opened a website of our local VW dealer:
aaa.jpg

Reactions: Sixth and ForDesign
Quote taken from a CNN article:

“We didn’t know that our wiring harness for Mach-E was 1.6 kilometers longer than it needed to be. We didn’t know it’s 70 pounds heavier and that that’s [cost an extra] $300 a battery,” he said on a call with investors Thursday. “We didn’t know that we underinvested in braking technology to save on the battery size.”
I'd be interested in reading that article if you have a link...

Reactions: Unobtanium
I have made a few comments about Ford vs. Tesla here and I will add another one, from a different perspective. While I appreciate that SUVs are very popular right now, not everyone wants one. The Model Y is now Tesla's top selling model and I salute them making that model for those that want it. But Tesla also still makes cars and offers people a choice. Ford essentially no longer does that (other than the special purpose, low volume ICE Mustang). Ford lost the capacity to profitably make and sell cars in North America and has abandoned that market. Which means that Ford abandoned the market I am interested in. I am a long-time Ford guy, but will probably never buy another one. Meanwhile, kudos to Tesla.

Last edited:
I have made a few comments about Ford vs. Tesla here and I will add another one, from a different perspective. While I appreciate that SUVs are very popular right now, not everyone wants one. The Model Y is now Tesla's top selling model and I salute them making that model for those that want it. But Tesla also still makes cars and offers people a choice. Ford essentially no longer does that (other than the special purpose, low volume ICE Mustang). Ford lost the capacity to profitably make and sell cars in North America and has abandoned that market. Which means that Ford abandoned the market I am interested in. I am a long-time Ford guy, but will probably never buy another one. Meanwhile, kudos to Tesla.
I grew up in a Ford house. Im an 80s kid. Like most kids, I rebelled. Screw Ford, I want a GM. Bought the first GM in the family (a 1995 LT1 Trans Am), and it was excellent. Fast as hell and reliable. To me, Ford has always been a cut rate company. SRA under the 2005 mustang, 3V 4.6L motors, too. Just saving a penny and producing mediocrity. Not what I want.

Sorry, not a Ford fan
They have the highest recall count of many vehicle manuf
Something is def missing in robust engineering
Hope they can become world class one day
Farley admitted they sourced their modules from many different manufacturers without any foresight regarding updates. That's likely why it took them so long to get OTAs out and the process is still messed up with customers having to visit dealers anyway. It's also why there were so many difficult to fix random glitches. People are still making excuses for Ford, but they had other EVs from which to build from. It's not like they were truly starting from scratch. Other manufacturers already did the hard work. They just didn't put any effort into it.