Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair theres no evidence the mach-e battery caused the fire.
True. However, the poster found this out from a Ford dealer, so it's unlikely in the extreme they would have told him if that was the case. FedEX is not going to want to embarrass a big customer, so they're not going to tell. What do we know? Lithium batteries do in fact catch fire, that's why they're not allowed in the baggage compartment of passenger airplanes. If there was evidence something other than the Ford battery caused the fire, the Ford dealer would have stated as such. So, no proof, but generally where there is smoke there is fire... (Pun intended.) It's possible this was something else, and if so we can be certain Ford will get that information out for obvious reasons. If we hear nothing, we can safely assume that the most likely cause of the fire was in fact the cause of the fire--the Ford battery caught fire and Ford is keeping that information suppressed.

Yeah, they're having some HV battery failures. More than a few have reported having to get them replaced. They're also having parking brake problems which seem to be a result of water intrusion during heavy rainstorms.

How anyone can read that forum and proceed with an order is a mystery.

I get the feeling the Ford representative will bail when the going gets tough like they did in the Mustang GT forums. Members are beginning to call them out for a response to some issues. One is the instrument panel buzz which Ford is claimed is normal. That outcome will be interesting.

This article is bond to get all the Mach-E people in a tizzy. While time will tell on the EV6, I'm super excited for it. I believe there EV6 along with the Ioniq 5 will eat the sales of mach-e. If KIA/Hyundai can nail the charging and make it seamless, it will be a show stopper for other EVs that aren't named Tesla.

IMHO

Here’s How The 2022 Kia EV6 Might Be A Better Buy Than The Ford Mustang Mach-E
No question I'd take the EV6 over the Mach-E. Even the trip meter on the Mach-E is giving the wrong information. I consider the Mach-E to be bottom of the barrel at the moment.

Wow, I'm glad I reconsidered and never bought a Mach-e. The more I see, the more it looks like a POS. There's a thread on their forum that the damn car is so loud charging at 48 amps that it's actually waking up the neighbors!!! Ford's official response on the thread? "Don't worry, that's totally normal. Just turn the charging current down to 32 amps." Seriously? Who would buy one of these things after reading about all of the issues? Don't drive in the mountains, don't charge at night, don't drive when it's hot, rent an ICE car for road trips, None of the glass roofs actually fit right, etc, etc, etc. I used to recommend the Mach-e to friends who didn't want a Tesla. No more.

Not trolling. Just using facts to play whack-a-mole.
Your username is 'FordMME' on a Tesla forum. I'm not sure you're gonna be able to sell the 'not trolling' angle.

The clear killer app for Tesla is their Supercharging Network. Where does the MME charge, and how few, far between, and crowded are those chargers? How about range comparison? Also, the MME doesn't look great to me (vs. the clean lines of the Y) and Munro didn't have a whole lot nice to say about the MME.

Reactions: AquaY
I took a look at the MME list, and aside from the many horror stories, it looks like they are continuing the bad practice of fixing things with direct field patches (in some cases engineers being flown in) vs. OTA updates. Scaling their operation is going to be painful. I feel bad for the owners.

Reactions: mark95476