Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a look at the MME list, and aside from the many horror stories, it looks like they are continuing the bad practice of fixing things with direct field patches (in some cases engineers being flown in) vs. OTA updates. Scaling their operation is going to be painful. I feel bad for the owners.
Except, the 'fixes' don't seem very effective from the feedback on the forums. Some things work, or they fix one thing and break another. They're basically learning as they go. So, an owner can't depend on even the dealer to actually fix their problems permanently.

Reactions: mark95476
3) Tesla not having a press fleet and PR Dept results in weird comparisons like this with a 2020 Model Y vs 2021 Mach-e. This is not the automotive journalist fault.

4) Asinine to say all press is bias and unworthy when a negative article comes out because Tesla refuses to advertise and Ford does. But point to that same automotive press and CR when they have something positive to say about Tesla. Filtering out any negative press and only validating positive press is pure confirmation bias.
MotorTrend somehow got their hands on comparable trim levels for their own comparison. If your competitor (M/T) is able to get the job done as far as making sure tests are as evenly presented as possible, what is preventing Car and Driver? IF you are to put 'professional' in front of 'journalist' within this discipline, then compared to their peers, C/D absolutely dropped the ball, and have no one to blame for its questionable findings but themselves. Why do the comparison? Especially with VW in the wings, with a PR department and press fleet available. The real question is, why wasn't the ID4 included?

If C/Ds writers are professionals, then reading the owners manual and getting familiar with both products would be all that would be needed to make a comparison (along with driving and data collection) here. Because they are literally paid to write and review products. Is it an inconvenience? Absolutely. Is it key to do a proper job? Absolutely not.

I personally am not saying all press isn't unbiased; by definition, they all are. I have stated multiple times that my issues with C/Ds review, outside of its results, were that its text about the Mach E were contradictory. CR is very respected in the automotive industry as agree with them or not, they do not rely on advertising revenue, and buys its cars it tests. Which removes many bias avenues which can understandably come from a OEM providing your company with cars to test, all expense paid trips/gifts/food and beverage to review products, 11% of your ad revenue, and a press fleet from which you can draw from with just a phone call.

Now if C/D is just an entertainment magazine with no professional pretensions, then I wouldn't examine its methodologies at all.

Every time I read more about a non Tesla EV, it reinforces my decision to stick with Tesla. Rivian would be the only non Tesla EV I'd consider at this point. At this rate, Tesla is going to be the Apple of EVs. We really need legacy carmakers to step up their game.
TBH, I think Tesla is currently the Apple of EVs. However, I think the negative press, which Tesla receives plenty of, is over played on a Tesla Forum. It's natural it's mostly full of Tesla fans. If you went to the MME forum they'd probably overstate any Tesla negative press.

TBH, I think Tesla is currently the Apple of EVs. However, I think the negative press, which Tesla receives plenty of, is over played on a Tesla Forum. It's natural it's mostly full of Tesla fans. If you went to the MME forum they'd probably overstate any Tesla negative press.
The horror stories are coming from the Mach-e forums. Well, that and Sandy Munro's tear down videos. But yes, To read the Mach-e forum you'd think Tesla is the worldly embodiment of Lucifer Morningstar. The cars are falling apart as we drive them. Of course they have to believe such nonsense to convince themselves that the Mach-e is not so bad, LOL. They actually have convinced themselves over there that the glass roof design fail--where the roof glass is .25" higher than the windshield glass--is actually "good and proper." ROFL. I used to be a Mach-e fan, I really thought it was going to be a great alternative. It's not.

So theres a stop sale order apparently yet they are blaming tesla for FUD.
It looks like the stop report was an over reaction. But Christ, the fan boys over there just attacked the guy. "He must be a Tesla employee paid to attack the MME!!!" (Like Tesla needs to do that, ROFL!") This is a guy trying to buy a MME. That forum is really strong in the Fan Boy force.

Last edited:
It looks like the stop report was an over reaction. But Christ, the fan boys over there just attacked the guy. "He must be a Tesla employee paid to attack the MME!!!" (Like Tesla needs to do that, ROFL!") This is a guy trying to buy a MME. That forum is really strong in the Fan Boy force.

The problem with Mach-E owners is they think they're more obsessed with their cars than we are. Nothing could be further from the truth ;)

Maybe the best thing about the Mustang ( hard to call it that) is it’s readily available to someone that doesn’t have the patience to wait for a Tesla.
Actually it’s not true as of now. I simulated an order and it said delivery was in 6 months. There are the strpped down short range rear wheel drive MachEs (Select model) on dealership lots, but Premium big battery AWD are on oder basis with lead times as long as or longer than the Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and Big Earl
I really hope they think their strategy through carefully. I get the financial aspect, and I like the idea of expanding the network, but I'd hate to have to put up with extra long wait times as a result. Nothing adds to a frustrating trip like seeing a bunch of Mach-Es hogging up the spots trying to charge past 80%.

Maybe, they can start by dedicating just 1 or 2 stations per location to mutli-EV charging, then increase as the network expands.

Reactions: Brando and El joe
Guys, honestly, C/D, R/T, all the car magazines have writers with long term relationships at the Legacy car companies.
They also get ADVERTISING $$$ from the car companies. Tesla doesn't advertise.
Sorry, money buys reviews.
The car mags wanna stay relevant, so they're gonna make comparisons that mention some good and some bad features.

It still comes down to 1+2 RANGE, 3. CHARGING NETWORK, 4+5+6+7 performance, build quality, form factor, esthetics.
Tesla is still learning build quality.
But Ford et al are still learning battery, software, and a whole new business model.

Tesla goes further on less battery pack. WIN Costs less to operate, period.
Tesla built a charging network, because they HAD TO. WIN. Relying on third party chargers is costing Legacy car companies.
Ford Mustang FAIL - is longer but has less storage/cargo potential. It has a bigger battery pack but goes less far, while costing more to charge up to 'full'.
Ford Mustang WIN - is quieter, has better fit/finish/paint, materials are a push.
Ford Mustang WIN - has, arguably, a more refined suspension (sorry, I'm not needing or wanting a street racer)

But if money is a big factor, you have to look at the Mustang. Maybe a Hundai IONIQ 5 also.

Guys, honestly, C/D, R/T, all the car magazines have writers with long term relationships at the Legacy car companies.
They also get ADVERTISING $$$ from the car companies. Tesla doesn't advertise.
Sorry, money buys reviews.
The car mags wanna stay relevant, so they're gonna make comparisons that mention some good and some bad features.

It still comes down to 1+2 RANGE, 3. CHARGING NETWORK, 4+5+6+7 performance, build quality, form factor, esthetics.
Tesla is still learning build quality.
But Ford et al are still learning battery, software, and a whole new business model.

Tesla goes further on less battery pack. WIN Costs less to operate, period.
Tesla built a charging network, because they HAD TO. WIN. Relying on third party chargers is costing Legacy car companies.
Ford Mustang FAIL - is longer but has less storage/cargo potential. It has a bigger battery pack but goes less far, while costing more to charge up to 'full'.
Ford Mustang WIN - is quieter, has better fit/finish/paint, materials are a push.
Ford Mustang WIN - has, arguably, a more refined suspension (sorry, I'm not needing or wanting a street racer)

But if money is a big factor, you have to look at the Mustang. Maybe a Hundai IONIQ 5 also.
The Mach-E has fit/finish/paint complaints as well, and the suspension is known to be bumpy to the annoyance of some members. Most agree it is smoother than the Tesla, but it gives up handling for that. It's a win for those that prefer a cushier suspension, but a fail for those like myself that put more value in better handling.

IMO, If the anecdotal evidence on the forums are any indication (and I have no reason to doubt them given the repeat posts from different members), the Mach-E in its current state is nothing short of a headache on 4 wheels. And the major factor that contributes to the frustration is the constant visits to the dealer for questionable software fixes that may or may not totally cure the issues. And forget about any useful OTA updates, they're a joke at the moment.

So, IMO, the MY and IONIQ 5 win by default.