Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would it not just close automatically? Did it malfunction, or did they actually design it that way?

Electric vehicles are being plugged and unplugged - generally at home - much more often than you fill up on gas with an ICE vehicle, and that for a variety of reasons, not just lower range. It just makes sense for the charge port door to be automatic.

Last edited:
I simply couldn't resist to include this link here:

"Issue:
On certain vehicles, the glass panel of the panoramic sunroof may not be properly attached. Over time, the glass could become loose and separate from the vehicle. "

I simply couldn't resist to include this link here:

"Issue:
On certain vehicles, the glass panel of the panoramic sunroof may not be properly attached. Over time, the glass could become loose and separate from the vehicle. "

"The doors fit properly, the plastics and other materials color-match, the bumpers don't fall off, the roof doesn't come off when you wash it, the door handles don't get stuck in cold weather,"

- Darren Palmer, Global Product Development Director for Ford

Ford's head of electric vehicles throws shade at Tesla, saying the new Mustang Mach-E's 'roof doesn't come off'

Ford also claimed their Mach-e wouldn't have 12V problems either. ;)
The problem is that on top of mainly cosmetic and rather-easy-to-fix issues, which I think can be forgivable if the car is great otherwise, the Mach-E seems to have major issues with the drive train, battery, and BMS. Customers who switched to the Mach-E from ICE are now disappointed and talk about going back to ICE because EVs are not ready for them based on their only experience with Ford. (similar $hit is happening with GM Bolt).

Reactions: Sixth and Big Earl
The problem is that on top of mainly cosmetic and rather-easy-to-fix issues, which I think can be forgivable if the car is great otherwise, the Mach-E seems to have major issues with the drive train, battery, and BMS. Customers who switched to the Mach-E from ICE are now disappointed and talk about going back to ICE because EVs are not ready for them based on their only experience with Ford. (similar $hit is happening with GM Bolt).
What a great business model, over promise and under deliver!

[...] Customers who switched to the Mach-E from ICE are now disappointed and talk about going back to ICE because EVs are not ready for them based on their only experience with Ford. (similar $hit is happening with GM Bolt).[...]
This is my concern, and it has been discussed before in these forums. I very much appreciate my Tesla, but my greater interest is in seeing the development of electric vehicles more generally, and having them take over the market as quickly as possible. As I have posted before, I do think that Ford and the other legacy vehicle manufactures remain a couple of steps behind Tesla in some basic aspects of the technology, but that does not mean that they should not be able to at least release competently engineered EVs. I hope that Ford sorts out the biggest problems by the time it releases the F150 Lightning.

Last edited:
This is my concern, and it has been discussed before in these forums. I very much appreciate my Tesla, but my greater interest is in seeing the development of electric vehicles more generally, and having them take over the market as quickly as possible. As I have posted before, I do think that Ford and the other legacy vehicle manufactures remain a couple of steps behind Tesla in some basic aspects of the technology, but that does not mean that they should not be able to at least release competently engineered EVs. I hope that Ford sorts out the biggest problems by the time it releases the F150 Lightning.
I've lost faith in Ford being a quality manufacturer. They seem to suck at every aspect of the vehicle: engineering, build quality and software. They even suck at the supposed 'fixes'. A soft ride and some nice seats aren't enough to compete on overall quality. But they're good enough for their faithful owners which is important. How long that will last is to be seen. So, their vehicles will sell for now. The first exodus will be their first time owners.

I'm personally rooting for the likes of Hyundai, VW, Toyota, GM and the upstarts. Lots of good stuff are on the way. People give the bolt crap, but I like it and hope they iron out the issues.

Reactions: Sixth and KidsEyeDr