Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
back to one of the other off topic threads, besides mine :) about the wipers:

The following is just my guess, and this is only a guess based on my observations. Auto mode has a certain level of drop formation for each of the four speeds. As soon as enough drops form in a set time, Auto will ratchet up to the next setting. It also has a level where it will ratchet down and the two are not necessarily the same. So you may need to train each of the four wiper speeds, although it does seem to interpolate pretty well once you've trained enough data points. In a very light rain, it may take a while to reach the level where you want the wipers to engage. The easy thing to do is to hit the button on the end of the stalk, but that doesn't seem to train Auto mode. I think it sees the button press as something abnormal and outside of Auto's scope. So, annoying as it is, hit the wiper icon and bring up wiper control and then set the lowest setting. Then switch it to auto. In a very light rain, you may need to train it to turn off as well so as to get a more intermittent pattern. So wiper Icon, Off, wait, Auto. Like I said, this is all a guess. But it's what I've done and my Auto wipers pretty much do exactly what I want now. Maybe not exactly what I would do, but close enough that the difference really doesn't matter.

Can I get that in three or four easy steps? ;)

Kyle works for InsideEVs which happily accepts advertisement money from product manufacturers they supposedly review without bias.
Yep, I believe it. When he was reviewing the GT (or GT-PE), it shut down from overheating and he had to call Ford. He didn't mention it in his review or if he did, he glossed it over quicky until he was asked specifically about it from another reviewer.

After that, I lost all respect for him.

Yep, I believe it. When he was reviewing the GT (or GT-PE), it shut down from overheating and he had to call Ford. He didn't mention it in his review or if he did, he glossed it over quicky until he was asked specifically about it from another reviewer.

After that, I lost all respect for him.
Oh that's interesting. In his GT-PE + GT review he spent a good bit of talking time on the thermal throttling he was experiencing while driving the GT-PE. He made it clear he encountered thermal throttling pretty quickly, and then couldn't even put it into the "extend" mode until pulling over to let it cool down for a while. Then once in "extend" mode he said right away it felt down on power compared to normal.

That was really useful to me. I drove the GT-PE myself on a very tight, twisty back road, and from my limited drive there is not one thing I would disagree with from Kyle's GT-PE review. But for multiple reasons I didn't push the acceleration+braking enough to stress test the thermals. Kyle's review was extremely useful to both confirm my handling impressions, and inform me that if I were to buy the GT-PE the thermal throttling and overheating likely WOULD be an issue in some of my driving.

Besides Kyle's review, most of the GT(-PE) thermal throttle discussion I've seen has focused on straight line racing (drag and street). That just isn't my thing, and before I watched Kyle's review, it wasn't clear that the thermal throttling would be an issue for my driving.

(To be fair I decided against the GT-PE for other reasons, before I found Kyle's reviews or knew the full extent of its thermal issues. But it was on my EV short list though. Knowing what I know now, it wouldn't be on my list at all unfortunately...which is a shame because the GT-PE is a good all-around family car besides the big thermal issues.)

Last edited:
Oh that's interesting. In his GT-PE + GT review he spent a good bit of talking time on the thermal throttling he was experiencing while driving the GT-PE. He made it clear he encountered thermal throttling pretty quickly, and then couldn't even put it into the "extend" mode until pulling over to let it cool down for a while. Then once in "extend" mode he said right away it felt down on power compared to normal.

That was really useful to me. I drove the GT-PE myself on a very tight, twisty back road, and from my limited drive there is not one thing I would disagree with from Kyle's GT-PE review. But for multiple reasons I didn't push the acceleration+braking enough to stress test the thermals. Kyle's review was extremely useful to both confirm my handling impressions, and inform me that if I were to buy the GT-PE the thermal throttling and overheating likely WOULD be an issue in some of my driving.

Besides Kyle's review, most of the GT(-PE) thermal throttle discussion I've seen has focused on straight line racing (drag and street). That just isn't my thing, and before I watched Kyle's review, it wasn't clear that the thermal throttling would be an issue for my driving.

(To be fair I decided against the GT-PE for other reasons, before I found Kyle's reviews or knew the full extent of its thermal issues. It was #3 on my EV short list though. Knowing what I know now, it wouldn't be on my list at all unfortunately...which is a shame because the GT-PE is a good car besides the big thermal issues.)

He said he had it in extended mode briefly but he couldn't get it back until pulling over and having it cool down, then having a chat with Ford. At some point he tried to test a 0-60 and after 0-40 it fell on its face and he said something like: 0-40 is all you really need, lol.

I think having to do a rain dance to be sure the vehicle doesn't overheat while pushing it is a big disadvantage and he glossed right over that in his final words.

So to correct myself in my previous post, it didn't just shut down, but he had to pull over for it to cool off which I think is a pretty serious design flaw.

He said he had it in extended mode briefly but he couldn't get it back until pulling over and having it cool down, then having a chat with Ford. At some point he tried to test a 0-60 and after 0-40 it fell on its face and he said something like: 0-40 is all you really need, lol.

I think having to do a rain dance to be sure the vehicle doesn't overheat while pushing it is a big disadvantage and he glossed right over that in his final words.

So to correct myself in my previous post, it didn't just shut down, but he had to pull over for it to cool off which I think is a pretty serious design flaw.
You're really splitting hairs here. He may have missed them in his final words, fine, but seriously in a YouTube full of Stans and TSLAQs, having someone who is an honest EV enthusiast reviewing cars from a fairly non-biased POV is refreshing.

Probably one of the most dangerous issues seen in the Mach-E so far. I'm curious to see how Ford approaches it. Teslas have had RDUs go out on the freeway, but the lock up described here is a little different and we know with a Tesla, the fix is usually a new RDU. So far, the Ford dealers are just guessing.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
You're really splitting hairs here. He may have missed them in his final words, fine, but seriously in a YouTube full of Stans and TSLAQs, having someone who is an honest EV enthusiast reviewing cars from a fairly non-biased POV is refreshing.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I have enjoyed some of his other videos, but this one came across a little like a Ford ad to me.

The reviewer neglecting to mention he had to pull over and let the car cool off is splitting hairs? When one of the biggest design flaws with the Mach-e is the completely inadequate and failure prone thermal system? Seriously???? And you say YouTube is full of Tesla Stans? Seriously???? ROFL!

The reviewer neglecting to mention he had to pull over and let the car cool off is splitting hairs? When one of the biggest design flaws with the Mach-e is the completely inadequate and failure prone thermal system? Seriously???? And you say YouTube is full of Tesla Stans? Seriously???? ROFL!
Far more than the opposite. Don't believe me? Go look. YouTube is full of accounts who "review" Tesla models and drop their referral code.

Unless you're one of those people who think concerns about build quality are a plot by TSLAQ 😂😂😂😂😂

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have enjoyed some of his other videos, but this one came across a little like a Ford ad to me.

Thanks for clarifying! I think we're mostly in agreement actually. Kyle's tone definitely stayed overly positive given the powertrain issues. But he fully shared everything you wrote above in the video, so it's easy to draw our own conclusions. I think any professional reviewer getting direct access to new cars has to thread a careful line. He manages to share a lot more than most without upsetting manufacturers too much (I think), so that he can keep getting access to new cars. That's especially important in this era of shortages.

Just keep paying attention to the content and then draw your own conclusion, as we've both done here!

No, he covered it in full detail.

The Tesla Roadster had overheating problems too. Ours came to a complete halt while climbing the grade on I-15N out of Baker, CA when the ambient temperature was 118F (48C) in the shade (and it wasn't shady). A little wipe of the PEM (Power Electronics Module)with a damp bandana got it going again. I'll chronicle my subsequent adventure in Winnemucca later.
Few were watching Tesla at the time but they were learning. The Model S had cooling pretty much dialed-in even if it was brute force compared with the "Y" today. That gave Tesla a decade head start on Ford before the MachE. The Ford Escape Hybrid also has trouble with overheating in hot weather at high sustained speeds too so, if Ford had a learning culture, they would have known better.
Let's hope Ford learns to learn so they can create a viable EV.