Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want a Ford. I don't electric or not...

Me neither. I had a Transit Connect: Great design, but shitty build quality

The rear view mirror fell off
The weather strip on the drivers door fell off
The radio stopped working
The automatic door locks stopped working
The windows stopped going up and down
The roller on one of the sliding doors broke
The armrest wouldn't stay in the right position

A couple of those are fairly trivial, but it certainly wasn't built with "Quality as Job #1", nor was it built "Ford Tough"

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
The Mach E didn’t win my money and surely, wouldn’t sales in a segment cement arguments on who won? It’s true that CCS standards are making it easier but the charging network across EMEA is fragmented. I have 6-charging apps to manage. Tesla is currently the best and most consistent.

However, anything that shakes up the market is good news in my book. It forces manufacturers to up their game.
That guy hasn't been on TMC since 20 Jul 21, don't expect a response... ;)

After seeing stuff like this how can anyone feel comfortable taking one of these on a long trip? And yes, you can pull up Tesla issues too, but the number of Teslas on the road is an order magnitude higher, so it's not apples to apples.

And you got to love this:

The design of the car simply lends to these types of problems. Lots of modules and connectors and bad software. And the icing on the cake is the lack of knowledge at the dealers.

Perhaps it’s because the established manufacturers are racing to catch-up to legislation for EV cars that they’re plague with software glitches. I wouldn’t be surprised that they figured business as usual and that governments would allow them to continue making ICE to the last drop of oil. Then the bans on sales of ICE deadlines started to get announced.

Software is not an easy game when you have to add in safety. Tesla has its faults but most of the frustration appears to be users unhappy with changes to Ui, and for me not being able to use iTunes using the car system! Lol. #first world problems

FYI: We love our MY but we’re not cultists. However, I am a fan that Tesla stuck it out regardless and in my opinion are the best right now and probably will be for some time to come.

F150 Lightning looks promising! Kudos to Ford for picking their benchmark vehicle to electrify.

Reactions: scottf200
FYI: We love our MY but we’re not cultists. However, I am a fan that Tesla stuck it out regardless and in my opinion are the best right now and probably will be for some time to come.

F150 Lightning looks promising! Kudos to Ford for picking their benchmark vehicle to electrify.
Not a cultist either. I actually was hoping to greenlight an MME for a sister who likes Ford. She had good luck with her 2010 Mustang and wanted to move to an EV with more utility. The model Y was a little out of her budget and I didn't want to steer her away from what she wanted. And on paper the lower -end MME checked off most of the boxes initially. It was affordable and had good space with decent performance. And she liked her current Ford dealer that was close by, so it seemed like a no brainer.

Now, after seeing yet again, the result of Ford's bean-counter approach to management, engineering and service, there's no way I'd recommend an MME to anyone at this point. Especially someone who is far less likely to hop out somewhere on the side of the road to pop the frunk, pull out plastic pieces to get to the battery in order reset it hoping to fix the problem temporarily.

What especially irked me was Ford's CEO mocking Tesla, when his product is inferior in many ways. Fix your product first then open your mouth.

As far as the Lightning is concerned, they better get it right cause the MME sales aren't all that rosy:

and I didn't want to steer her away from what she wanted
I wanted the KIA EV6 AWD GT Line and convinced my wife it was the best choice. She was massively unimpressed and I was gutted. We test drove the Tesla and she loved it. I’d never seen her so excited about a car before. I was concerned about build quality. But as she really wanted it I agreed. We were not disappointed. The build quality was excellent.

It’s not professional to bad mouth a competitor. Tesla was doomed to failure but prove them wrong. It’ll be interesting if some of the big boys have to merge or worse, fold.

My buddy has the Ford. My wife has the MYP. A year into it, he still doesn’t know how to use the nav fully and his Copilot or whatever it’s called scared the shite out of both of us. Worse than ‘17 version Autopilot.

My wife navigates with ease using nav. But to be fair, she won’t touch NOA.

My buddy has the Ford. My wife has the MYP. A year into it, he still doesn’t know how to use the nav fully and his Copilot or whatever it’s called scared the shite out of both of us. Worse than ‘17 version Autopilot.

My wife navigates with ease using nav. But to be fair, she won’t touch NOA.
After seeing some vids online and knowing how bad Ford is with software, I would not trust Blue Cruise to stop when it's supposed to or stay centered.

We should see the results soon, but someone on the 'other' forum mentioned that they believe the Mach-E came in last place, lol. Looking forward to the results across the board.
Even if the MME or the Taycan managed first place, still wouldn’t be good because of all that fussing with the EA chargers to get the car to charge. Charging needs to be simple and reliable.

After seeing stuff like this how can anyone feel comfortable taking one of these on a long trip? And yes, you can pull up Tesla issues too, but the number of Teslas on the road is an order magnitude higher, so it's not apples to apples.

And you got to love this:

The design of the car simply lends to these types of problems. Lots of modules and connectors and bad software. And the icing on the cake is the lack of knowledge at the dealers.

Built Ford tough™️

Reactions: john5520
We should see the results soon, but someone on the 'other' forum mentioned that they believe the Mach-E came in last place, lol. Looking forward to the results across the board.
I don't know what the results are, but I do wonder in advance why they would choose a Model 3 Performance, rather than LR, for a trial for which range is key. Not the first time I have seen the Model 3 Performance put up against 'Long Range' versions of other vehicles in supposed side-by-side tests. Strange.

Reactions: Big Earl and AquaY
I don't know what the results are, but I do wonder in advance why they would choose a Model 3 Performance, rather than LR, for a trial for which range is key. Not the first time I have seen the Model 3 Performance put up against 'Long Range' versions of other vehicles in supposed side-by-side tests. Strange.
Agreed, I'm not sure why they did this again. I think the last excuse was they didn't have access to a LR.

not strange. lazy.
couldn't be bothered to source a more equal comparison, or, rationalized equivalence.
both an endemic of the times and social media.

Reactions: Big Earl and AquaY