Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, a basic diesel sedan walked the E on the autobahn. Just about anything with a pulse will walk the E once it hits the limiter.

I had to dig back thru this thread for this gem. :D

And I think that review was done before the more recent software changes to further limit performance due to High Voltage Battery Junction Box failures. The Ford MME has some nice elements, but at this point performance does not appear to be its strong suit. And that severe lack of top-end performance could go as far as being be dangerous in some highway passing situations.

And I think that review was done before the more recent software changes to further limit performance due to High Voltage Battery Junction Box failures. The Ford MME has some nice elements, but at this point performance does not appear to be its strong suit. And that severe lack of top-end performance could go as far as being be dangerous in some highway passing situations.

The software recall fix does not cripple performance. It simply uses Ohm's law to detect high IR over the HVBJB to determine if the contactors have arc-ed or welded or are damaged.

Even with the crippling, its still faster than a standard car like a minivan. Its fine for daily driving but I bought a performance car for going fast. I would have seriously considered a Mach E if it had faster charging and no 5 second limitation.

So it doesn’t fix the problem...just tells you which parts got accidentally welded together ?

It warns you before the HVBJB can melt... like an early failure detection system to prevent you from being stranded. It seems to be pretty sensitive but that's good. It's not a real fix. Ford has upgraded the JB part since 5/26 but for all GTs before that... they will probably fail. It's less likely on lower trims but could happen.

I LOVE THIS POST!!! You win the internet today!! It's faster than a minivan! OMG, LMFAO. You sir, have my admiration and respect. You turned an already great day into a truly awesome day. :)
😀 Except that it might not be true as the MME apparently lost a highway-speed drag race to a diesel. I have driven friends’ diesels and have experienced the ‘thrill’ of flooring it to try to get some quick, needed extra speed on the highway and discovering that there is a pretty much nothing there even when the pedal is to the metal. And the MME is worse than that? God-forbid you discover that limit when you pull out to pass on a busy two-lane highway.

God-forbid you discover that limit when you pull out to pass on a busy two-lane highway.
One should never attempt to pass without knowing one's car's performance, whether a minivan or a Ferrari.
Unless, of course, you want to be a Darwin award candidate.
I do know what you mean about diesels though: I used to love driving a 1976 diesel VW Rabbit in the mountains. Sure, it was underpowered but it was fun timing my shifting to keep on top of the power curve when exiting tight curves. If you missed, you'd have to crawl up the next incline in 2nd gear.

It warns you before the HVBJB can melt... like an early failure detection system to prevent you from being stranded. It seems to be pretty sensitive but that's good. It's not a real fix. Ford has upgraded the JB part since 5/26 but for all GTs before that... they will probably fail. It's less likely on lower trims but could happen.
Ford is just buying time and basically giving the shaft to their loyal customers. EVERY single HVBJB should be replaced period. Not waiting for them to fail, or better yet, fail out of the warranty.

And aren't there are least 2or 3 people that have had the new one fail?

1st page of issues on the mache forum, well they bought a ford...

1663386760671.png