Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry but NONE chance ford could alter anything significant in the design in one year, mustang is just better, uglier but better

How is it better? MY has improved over time unlike the Mach E such as better suspension, better QC, better software, and may be cheaper with tax credit. The Mach E is fine in mid-trim but I think the performance GT version is a complete joke with the 5 second limitation while the MYP will get Track Mode eventually. I was comparing Mach E, EV6, Ioniq 5, and Model Y for months and the only thing the Mach E was better was the quality and ride comfort and looks (sorry but MY isn't great looking). Everything else about the Model Y seemed better to me (performance, charging, software, powertrain).

Then everyone wins. The only charging system I know of that is reliable.
I reliably charge in my garage. Anyone who has access to an extension cord can "reliably" charge their Tesla. Or any other brand of electric car. There are some who don't have access to an outlet, but most Americans do, and even those who live in apartments have figured out, in some cases, how to get power to their cars. Of course, that may not be a "system", although it is pretty much available and reliable. Obviously, when you speak of "systems", you're thinking of charging away from home, when 99% (my unverified opinion) of charging is at home. I think what people are looking for is "free" charging.

Reactions: tangible1
How is it better? MY has improved over time unlike the Mach E such as better suspension, better QC, better software, and may be cheaper with tax credit. The Mach E is fine in mid-trim but I think the performance GT version is a complete joke with the 5 second limitation while the MYP will get Track Mode eventually. I was comparing Mach E, EV6, Ioniq 5, and Model Y for months and the only thing the Mach E was better was the quality and ride comfort and looks (sorry but MY isn't great looking). Everything else about the Model Y seemed better to me (performance, charging, software, powertrain).

Mach-E has improved vastly over the past year - blended braking is now smooth compared to the janky mess it was in 2021, BlueCruise doesn't ping-pong anymore, DC charging curve now isn't a complete joke... (it used to drop to 9 kW after 80%). All these were pushed via OTAs.

Both Tesla and Ford have improved their EVs over the last year which I don't think is the case for cars like the ID.4.

Honestly after owning 4 Mach-Es and 3 Model Ys... they are pretty similar. I prefer the Mach-E in urban environments because of the 360 camera, rear cross traffic alerts, and front charge port. I don't think either of these EVs are good for the track. Too heavy, need to be lowered, need better suspension (except the MME GTPE).

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Apprunner
I reliably charge in my garage. Anyone who has access to an extension cord can "reliably" charge their Tesla. Or any other brand of electric car. There are some who don't have access to an outlet, but most Americans do, and even those who live in apartments have figured out, in some cases, how to get power to their cars. Of course, that may not be a "system", although it is pretty much available and reliable. Obviously, when you speak of "systems", you're thinking of charging away from home, when 99% (my unverified opinion) of charging is at home. I think what people are looking for is "free" charging.
Charging at home is what many people do, but most people occasionally drive much further. And by me, Superchargers are pretty busy on weekend mornings with people topping off before heading to the nearby shopping, soccer games, etc. They pop into the Supercharger and run over to co-located Starbucks while waiting the few minutes to charge. The convenience wins out over saving by charging at home.

Y'all do realize that the OP started this trolling thread and hasn't been seen since, for more than a year lol

Landscape has changed too. A year ago the Mach Premium AWD ER was $56K plus $7500 tax credit which made it a relative bargain in terms of price (Model Y was near $60K). Fast forward today and the same Mach-E trim is $67K and the tax credit depends on your income and nobody knows if the MME will get the full credit due to where the battery minerals are sourced from. Mach-E has gradually improved but so has the Y with the AMD and 15V upgrades along with supposed suspension upgrade recently.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yes, I should have put "charging stations used while on a road trip". Free Charging? on the road? Yeah, I have a friend who "poaches" as he calls it. That would be a Destination Chargers were the charger may be open to paying customers, as at a Hotel. Yes, he poaches, has not be caught yet. I don't recommend it. I still say Tesla Superchargers are years ahead of all the rest ( although, I like the idea of a nice restaurant and bathrooms included) Like some of the European ICE stations we visited in Spain and Italy years ago.