Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla seems to have failed their lobbying effort to get their plugs made the standard.
@tangible1 Did Tesla actually make an attempt at that? If so did they offer to make their standard truly open, with no licensing fees or restrictions in perpetuity, including for future newcomers to the field? That would be pretty key I think for acceptance.

Of course there are non-free, licensing-required standards, but that sucks (IMO) and I would not expect the rest of the automobile industry to accept such a thing for EV charging.

Reactions: MP3Mike
@tangible1 Did Tesla actually make an attempt at that? If so did they offer to make their standard truly open, with no licensing fees or restrictions in perpetuity, including for future newcomers to the field? That would be pretty key I think for acceptance.

Of course there are non-free, licensing-required standards, but that sucks (IMO) and I would not expect the rest of the automobile industry to accept such a thing for EV charging.
It was reported that Tesla had tried and failed. I believe it was on Teslerati or Electrek a year or so ago.
Whether they offered it IP-fee free isn't reported but would fit their MO.

It is also acknowledged that the CCS standard has some technical flexibility for future adds that the Tesla plug doesn't accomodate.
Meanwhile, the EU and several automotive industry organizations have formally adopted it. It's not going away.
The Tesla plug is much more elegant and very functiuonal but perceived as only designed for the Tesla application.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
nope, they did make an effort. perhaps belatedly, but said effort was actually made.
Welcome to the world of EVs, let me add more historical info as a Tesla customer for over 16 years. Tesla perhaps made belated efforts but they also made very early efforts.
Over a decade ago, Tesla was actively involved with the J-1772 committee, pushing them to make a decent connector with power pins that could handle high voltage and current. That committee, of course, was dominated (everyone but Tesla) by car companies who did not want to make EVs. No surprise, Tesla failed.
Later, when they finally had to use their own standard since there was no standard other than the horrible low-powered, huge CHAdeMO connector. In order to play nice they offered to open up their standard to others who would support it.
Clearly, just like the pathetic support to any charging station by any of the ICE car manufacturers including their anti-support of useful J-1772 before, none were interested in participating with Tesla either.
They never lobbied, nor failed at it. But they did fail at getting others to adopt their standard on multiple occasions.
Probably just as well. Without Teslas many examples proving it is possible to drive cleanly without dependence on oil while hitting the luxury car bands where it hurts, we'd probably all still be forced to buy gasoline and deal with ICE and all of its evils and inconveniences. They didn't need to deal with the extra expense and hassles of making their charging stations interoperable with an industry that was determined to kill EVs.
Perhaps, eventually, CCS providers will offer charging service as good Tesla's Supercharging network but, until then we have Tesla and, eventually, all of us can use CCS when it actually makes sense to do so.

Welcome to the world of EVs, let me add more historical info as a Tesla customer for over 16 years. Tesla perhaps made belated efforts but they also made very early efforts.
Over a decade ago, Tesla was actively involved with the J-1772 committee, pushing them to make a decent connector with power pins that could handle high voltage and current. That committee, of course, was dominated (everyone but Tesla) by car companies who did not want to make EVs. No surprise, Tesla failed.
Later, when they finally had to use their own standard since there was no standard other than the horrible low-powered, huge CHAdeMO connector. In order to play nice they offered to open up their standard to others who would support it.
Clearly, just like the pathetic support to any charging station by any of the ICE car manufacturers including their anti-support of useful J-1772 before, none were interested in participating with Tesla either.
They never lobbied, nor failed at it. But they did fail at getting others to adopt their standard on multiple occasions.
Probably just as well. Without Teslas many examples proving it is possible to drive cleanly without dependence on oil while hitting the luxury car bands where it hurts, we'd probably all still be forced to buy gasoline and deal with ICE and all of its evils and inconveniences. They didn't need to deal with the extra expense and hassles of making their charging stations interoperable with an industry that was determined to kill EVs.
Perhaps, eventually, CCS providers will offer charging service as good Tesla's Supercharging network but, until then we have Tesla and, eventually, all of us can use CCS when it actually makes sense to do so.
I say this all the time: The best thing Tesla did for themselves is NOT wait until the governments, boards, committees, etc. got their --it together. Didn't wait for a standard. Didn't wait for stations, etc. I have so much respect for them. Blaze your own trail of awesome and wait for everyone else to catch up.

Blaze your own trail of awesome and wait for everyone else to catch up.
I respectfully disagree. They needed to, and have:

Blazed their own trail of awesome and NOT waited for anyone to catch up.

Now all anyone can grouse about (or pass laws against) how it is not fair that they are so far ahead of everyone else in the world or what silly nonsense their crazy, driven, workaholic president may utter.

Getting back on topic: I still hope that Ford can get with the program but its hard to win a tail chase with a faster opponent. Luckily, the opponent has published their playbook and they appear to be at least trying to comprehend it. I'll believe it when we see Ford branded charging stations or at least a Ford brand QA logo (with accompanying QA measures) on some 3rd party providers' stations. It wouldn't be hard for Ford to hire a dozen folks to travel the roads, trying out EA, ChargePoint, EVgo, etc stations and pushing to get them fixed ASAP if they are broken like Tesla does with theirs.

Reactions: DblOSmith
As a Mach-E owner, the entire Ford Charging Angels is a BS public relations stunt. Nothing will get fixed. EA knows about the problems but are incompetent or handcuffed due to supply chain issues.

Ford getting Plug&Charge working for MME owners and unifying networks under Blue Oval is great step for Ford owners. Next step is to build Ford L2 and CCS chargers for the public to use.

Ford has "QA measures" ?????

Didn't seem to be the case with my Transit Connect

Radio stopped working
Rear view mirror fell off
Door seal fell off
Sliding door mechanism stopped working
Doors wouldn't lock

...and those are just the ones I remember

My experience with Ford (through my father and MiL) has been quite a mixed bag. I talked my father into a C-Max Energi years ago, and he liked it so much that he bought a 2nd one when his lease was up. Both of those cars have been relatively rock solid, except for some infotainment issues. He bought the second after his lease was up and is still driving it.

My MiL on the other hand has had terrible luck, with two different models. She had a '13 Focus that needed the transmission replaced 3 times, 3 times in 4 years. Her current vehicles is a 2020 Escape Hybrid that has left her stranded on the road once, had at least two major recalls (one related to the stranding) and last week we had to have it towed out of the garage because the 12v completely died in such a way that we couldn't even jump the thing. We've had to jump it 4 times in the last 2 years, so I'm not confident that just replacing the 12v is actually going to fix anything.

No idea what's going on with Ford QC.

My experience with Ford (through my father and MiL) has been quite a mixed bag. I talked my father into a C-Max Energi years ago, and he liked it so much that he bought a 2nd one when his lease was up. Both of those cars have been relatively rock solid, except for some infotainment issues. He bought the second after his lease was up and is still driving it.

My MiL on the other hand has had terrible luck, with two different models. She had a '13 Focus that needed the transmission replaced 3 times, 3 times in 4 years. Her current vehicles is a 2020 Escape Hybrid that has left her stranded on the road once, had at least two major recalls (one related to the stranding) and last week we had to have it towed out of the garage because the 12v completely died in such a way that we couldn't even jump the thing. We've had to jump it 4 times in the last 2 years, so I'm not confident that just replacing the 12v is actually going to fix anything.

so looks like it's model/factory dependent vs brand. Any Mach E specific forums/issues?

(Ford "brand"comment: CMax, loved it, but...repeated 12v, infotainment "module" issues. Ditto with 2017 Fusion Hybrid: Loved the car, never trusted the 12V system...random issues...)