Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1674160780162.png

"Model e had pretax losses of $900 million in 2021 and $2.1 billion last year, and it is expected to lose $3 billion this year."

As I said in another thread, manufacturers - other than Tesla - have not really figured out mass production of EVs yet, nor have they - other than Tesla - figured how to make much money selling EVs. In some ways, other EV manufactures, whether they are legacy auto brands or EV startups, are still 2-3 years behind Tesla in some basic aspects of making EVs.

"Model e had pretax losses of $900 million in 2021 and $2.1 billion last year, and it is expected to lose $3 billion this year."

As I said in another thread, manufacturers - other than Tesla - have not really figured out mass production of EVs yet, nor have they - other than Tesla - figured how to make much money selling EVs. In some ways, other EV manufactures, whether they are legacy auto brands or EV startups, are still 2-3 years behind Tesla in the EV field.
In terms of actual chips and software, other manufacturers are *literally* in the early 2000s.

There is no comparison. Now introduce Tesla’s first principles approach to EVERYTHING, including its diecasting approach to simplifying mass production, and you see that the rest of the industry is toast.

In terms of actual chips and software, other manufacturers are *literally* in the early 2000s.

There is no comparison. Now introduce Tesla’s first principles approach to EVERYTHING, including its diecasting approach to simplifying mass production, and you see that the rest of the industry is toast.
I think, you mean old boring oems like Ford, GM, BMW, and VW. Some new Chinese manufacturers and Rivian are actually trying, I believe.

I found it really shocking that the Mustang can only accelerate for 5 seconds and then it cuts power drastically, which is why the car can only hit 100 mph in the quarter mile. How crap is the battery/wiring/electrical that it can't maintain power longer than 5 seconds???

Can this even be legal, to buy a "performance" car that can only accelerate for 5 seconds and the manufacturer keeps this a secret from buyers?

I found it really shocking that the Mustang can only accelerate for 5 seconds and then it cuts power drastically, which is why the car can only hit 100 mph in the quarter mile. How crap is the battery/wiring/electrical that it can't maintain power longer than 5 seconds???

Can this even be legal, to buy a "performance" car that can only accelerate for 5 seconds and the manufacturer keeps this a secret from buyers?
It’s either battery or motor overheating, and yes, that means it has a truly crappy thermal management system. Even the very first Tesla Model S cars (or for that matter the original Roadster) had better thermal management systems.

It's a Ford, what do you expect?

Blame the bean counters. It's an arbitrary time limit. But honestly I doubt Ford will lift it given all the HVBJB failures on the GT trims that are due to high amp DC charging or acceleration.

FYI the 5 second limit only applies to the GT trims. The lower trims are not limited.

The biggest advantage the M3P has over other performance EVs is weight. The lower weight is a major advantage even though Teslas aren't 800V and lack track ready suspension + brakes when stock.

Blame the bean counters. It's an arbitrary time limit. But honestly I doubt Ford will lift it given all the HVBJB failures on the GT trims that are due to high amp DC charging or acceleration.

FYI the 5 second limit only applies to the GT trims. The lower trims are not limited.

The biggest advantage the M3P has over other performance EVs is weight. The lower weight is a major advantage even though Teslas aren't 800V and lack track ready suspension + brakes when stock.
the biggest advantage Tesla has is clean sheet, without legacy, thinking.

That's what you get when you use basically OTS batteries, based on a design that's used widely in forklifts. They had to use something that had an existing supply chain, so they could sell something asap.

They can't get heat out of the cells fast enough for the GT, due to limitation of the conduction of the aluminum fins sandwiched between the flat cells. The slower versions don't tax them enough to hit the limits of heat extraction.

I don' t think they'll ever unlock the acceleration without changing the modules for new ones with liquid cooling between the cells, not just on one edge.

All from memory, may have some architecture details wrong, but the fact of a heat extraction limit is there.

It's a reflection of how Ford views their customer base. There is little incentive to invest in better engineering when you're not held to a higher standard.

I think, you mean old boring oems like Ford, GM, BMW, and VW. Some new Chinese manufacturers and Rivian are actually trying, I believe.
China is leading in EV sales in their country and is making moves to break into the US. Tesla set up in China as they’ve been providing massive subsidies/tax breaks for EV tech. China couldn’t compete with ICE so played the long game and went the BEV route and are years ahead of the established manufacturers. I’m still betting on Tesla as the charging network is flawless in my experience. I’ve yet to see a BEV that matches Tesla in efficiency and performance.

Reactions: cusetownusa
China is leading in EV sales in their country and is making moves to break into the US. Tesla set up in China as they’ve been providing massive subsidies/tax breaks for EV tech. China couldn’t compete with ICE so played the long game and went the BEV route and are years ahead of the established manufacturers. I’m still betting on Tesla as the charging network is flawless in my experience. I’ve yet to see a BEV that matches Tesla in efficiency and performance.
There’s a lot going on in world politics, I wouldn’t count on seeing Chinese EVs in US market any time soon.

Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
Where do I charge the Ford? Also can you remind me what the dealer markup was?