Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I don’t have the energy to answer these insanely long posts. You and Motor Trend are obviously right. C&D and my own eyes are obviously wrong. The MY is clearly the superior vehicle. Glad we’ve settled this.
You started this thread buddy, if someone is going to make a counter point to your talking points and you want to pout, because you don't like what you hear. You're free to head back to the mustang forums.

Tesla is not only building the car , but also the eco-system to enable you to drive far. Look at the V2 and V3 charging set up. Tesla is the only Auto company putting together its own super charging set up for its car. Range anxiety and charging time is something which will never go away. Tesla is building another 20K Supercharges in their China factory for installation this year. If you add up Electrify America and EVO go and others with DC cast chargers it will be less than 3K. If there aren't enough gas stations , ICE cars will not sell, same if charging is not convenient, EVs will not sell. Tesla has a huge advantage in this compared to other automakers as it is essentially controlling its own destiny and not dependent on 3rd party EV charge stations

Just last day's new topics on the forum of the vehicle that is clearly so much better than the Model Y:
1. Battery drain issue "Energy has been transferred to 12V battery. service required" (Design)
2. My doors stopped unlocking. (Software critical functions)
3. Hatchback out of alignment (by 1/4") (Quality of assembly, QA)
4. HV battery failed and needs replacement. (Major system failure/quality? design?)

When this happens on a dozen of 500000+ Teslas, the news media go ecstatic. When this happens to a dozen of <20000 Fords (by my estimate and an analysis of the MachEForum serious issues happen to the vehicles of 5-10% of all Mach-E owners, at minimum), you will NOT find this information anywhere in the media, not in Google, zilch, nada, nothing, no issues with the Mach-E. What the actual ****? <<< this is a discussion question.

Just last day's new topics on the forum of the vehicle that is clearly so much better than the Model Y:
1. Battery drain issue "Energy has been transferred to 12V battery. service required" (Design)
2. My doors stopped unlocking. (Software critical functions)
3. Hatchback out of alignment (by 1/4") (Quality of assembly, QA)
4. HV battery failed and needs replacement. (Major system failure/quality? design?)

When this happens on a dozen of 500000+ Teslas, the news media go ecstatic. When this happens to a dozen of <20000 Fords (by my estimate and an analysis of the MachEForum serious issues happen to the vehicles of 5-10% of all Mach-E owners, at minimum), you will NOT find this information anywhere in the media, not in Google, zilch, nada, nothing, no issues with the Mach-E. What the actual ****? <<< this is a discussion question.
I think there are well over a million Tesla’s out now.

Literally Found On Road Dead (FORD)! :p

Reactions: alexgr
At least, something....

But where are CNN, ABC, Reuters, AP?

The Mach E looks nicer. Look, you can argue that until you’re blue in the face, and of course looks are subjective - to an extent. But if you seriously contend that the MY looks better than the MME, I’m going to discount the rest of your conclusions accordingly. You’ve got to be capable of giving credit where it is due.

You know, I took some time reviewing the two designs, even after making the assertion about them in an earlier post - and I'll say it again, the Tesla is the better looking design.

The cabin_to_body [profile] ratio is more balanced, the wheels (esp. the Perf model) are better sized, the lower rear bumper/fascia is better integrated, more seamless with the rear mid-section (the E has this confusing, disjointed rear), the rear hatch lip creates a sportier profile, the rear tailights of the Y match the overall design language while the E has classic Mustang tri-bars that do not match the style of the front (the front and rear looked to be designed by two totally different teams). The E adds a pointless front fascia "cap" element that has no other design reference, and additional ducts and excessive details that overload an already weighty front end.

So much of the Mach-E doesn't follow the simple design mantra of "Less is more", it's incredibly over designed to point of looking comical.

It's like they had a dedicated EV team, canned them 1/2 way through the design process, brought in the old Ecosport/Edge team to finish it, they litterd it with ICE design elements, and just made everything bolt together. Then at the last second, the marketing VP came in, said they were branding it as a Mustang - so they tossed on a pony badge and knocked off the S550 tail lights ...

The interior seems nice, the running gear is solid.

Reactions: alexgr
You know, I took some time reviewing the two designs, even after making the assertion about them in an earlier post - and I'll say it again, the Tesla is the better looking design.

The cabin_to_body [profile] ratio is more balanced, the wheels (esp. the Perf model) are better sized, the lower rear bumper/fascia is better integrated, more seamless with the rear mid-section (the E has this confusing, disjointed rear), the rear hatch lip creates a sportier profile, the rear tailights of the Y match the overall design language while the E has classic Mustang tri-bars that do not match the style of the front (the front and rear looked to be designed by two totally different teams). The E adds a pointless front fascia "cap" element that has no other design reference, and additional ducts and excessive details that overload an already weighty front end.

So much of the Mach-E doesn't follow the simple design mantra of "Less is more", it's incredibly over designed to point of looking comical.

It's like they had a dedicated EV team, canned them 1/2 way through the design process, brought in the old Ecosport/Edge team to finish it, they litterd it with ICE design elements, and just made everything bolt together. Then at the last second, the marketing VP came in, said they were branding it as a Mustang - so they tossed on a pony badge and knocked off the S550 tail lights ...

The interior seems nice, the running gear is solid.
This is all well said, and this has been said in other ways/posts in this thread. The design from the top to bottom of the Tesla (looks are obviously up to the person buying the car) is intentional and well thought out. Everything plays together. Like I said in another post, their are subtle things even lips and cuts that give 2-3 extra miles of range due to how it moves moisture and air around the car. Design, Engineering, Safety and Efficiency were all taken into account in the design.

To your point the Mach-E looks half baked given its worst efficiency, heater core design, overall wiring design(may as well be the old ear buds you pulled out of your backpack) and basic OEM parts all plastered into a 75% of the way there car.

So again @FordMME you've got yourself a good car. But again, its a personal choice. And again the Model Y is a better designed vehicle from the outside in.

Reactions: alexgr and SO16
This all reminds me off Ford continuing to shoot themselves in the foot.

"...We tested it in the real world, so our customers don’t have to*."

*except in areas we know it would fail, like hills, mountains. OTA means the air at Ford service centres.

Ford CEO takes shot at Tesla for using customers to test unfinished tech​

Ford CEO takes shot at Tesla for using customers to test unfinished tech

Worth checking out. Night and day difference. And even worse, Munro says the Mach-E is better than any other EV not named Tesla.
It looks that the statement at the end that Ford is better than everyone else but Tesla was a result of a little chat between Ford reps and Sandy/his happy director, as it was mentioned a few episodes earlier. I wonder why Munro didn't explicitly named vehicles (EVs) that have inferior thermal management system to the Mach-E.