Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most agree it is smoother than the Tesla, but it gives up handling for that. It's a win for those that prefer a cushier suspension, but a fail for those like myself that put more value in better handling.

It's not smoother because of the suspension, McPherson Strut suspension--like on the Mach-e--is not known for being smooth. It's a cheap way to get decent handling. What smooths out the bumps on the Mach-e is the skinny tires that are 29" tall with 18" wheels. Lots of sidewall absorbs bumps better, and wider tires have stiffer sidewalls. Put identical tires & wheels on the two cars and the Y will ride better. I have 19" wheels and Quatrac Pro tires, and my ride is at least as smooth as the E's I've driven. That said, Tesla would be smart to have an option for skinny, higher sidewall tires to smooth out the ride for those that want a smoother ride and don't care about handling. The Mach-e ride is great for soccer moms and grand parents who don't care about how well the car takes a corner.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and john5520
Well I know one thing, I won't be buying a GM EV ever. They really messed up with the EV-1. For those who haven't seen it yet, check out 'Who Killed the Electric Car?' documentary on Amazon Prime.
A few of us actually had leased EV1s. If anyone has questions about this blemish on America's history, I'm happy to fill you in.
There is, of course, a direct line between the EV1 and Tesla so you're all part of the happy ending to this story that looked so grim back in 2003 and 2004, when the movie was filmed.

Reactions: Brando and Spacep0d
A few of us actually had leased EV1s. If anyone has questions about this blemish on America's history, I'm happy to fill you in.
There is, of course, a direct line between the EV1 and Tesla so you're all part of the happy ending to this story that looked so grim back in 2003 and 2004, when the movie was filmed.
Interesting new perspective. Well, maybe it's a good thing that GM didn't remain the EV leader. ;) Also, hats off to those who actually got to lease an EV1.

Reactions: Brando
It's not smoother because of the suspension, McPherson Strut suspension--like on the Mach-e--is not known for being smooth. It's a cheap way to get decent handling. What smooths out the bumps on the Mach-e is the skinny tires that are 29" tall with 18" wheels. Lots of sidewall absorbs bumps better, and wider tires have stiffer sidewalls. Put identical tires & wheels on the two cars and the Y will ride better. I have 19" wheels and Quatrac Pro tires, and my ride is at least as smooth as the E's I've driven. That said, Tesla would be smart to have an option for skinny, higher sidewall tires to smooth out the ride for those that want a smoother ride and don't care about handling. The Mach-e ride is great for soccer moms and grand parents who don't care about how well the car takes a corner.
I never really paid attention to how thin the MME's tires are. They are like motorcycle tires.

Wait until the Mach-E has to go through a winter... Everything so far has been spring/summer driving. The car for the most part hasn't been through a winter. I know there were a few on the road in Jan/Feb and I know there are not a lot of sales in Canada, but it will be interesting to see how it holds up for a long cold winter.

Reactions: Big Earl
I’m curious. Why do you call this guy a troll? I own a M3P but can’t disagree with anything he is saying other than #1. However even that one is more of my lack of experience with Ford’s CoPilot….and I have Tesla’s enhanced autopilot and it is not great at all (too much weirdness in driving and fairly consistent phantom breaking makes it useless.) everything else makes sense with out even having experience with the MME as a) Ford would obviously have better build quality as they have done this for decades (century) vs Tesla, b) M3 is by far the loudest car I have ever owned . MY is much the same thus I can’t imagine the MME being louder (or any modern car for that matter) and c) while I like the supercharger network (never really use it though) the CCS network in the US will obviously pass it in the next couple of years as CCS IS THE STANDARD for L3. Period.
Last looks are subjective but I have not heard many people complement the MY for it’s looks. I have certainly heard people mention the MME looks nice (I actually don’t find either super sexy but the MME is the better of the two. The MY looks like a Prius)
The MME looks significantly better to my eyes in person than in pictures, Id throw out to anyone who thinks its ugly to see one in person. Ford sh!t the bed in their promo pics

Would you guys even remotely tolerate a problem like this?

I mean c'mon man, there is little excuse for this.

I really want to like the mach e, but FFS this guy:

1628737696510.png

AM radio is a plus? How old is the target demo thought to be?

I really want to like the mach e, but FFS this guy:

View attachment 695500

AM radio is a plus? How old is the target demo thought to be?
Sure, AM radio would be nice, but what I REALLY want is an 8 Track player! I really like the Mach-e steering ratio where I can turn the wheel a whole bunch before it really does anything. This is the best Station Wagon EVER!!

Yeah, I think Ford has a particular buyer demographic in mind. I mean Christ, they even had Clark Griswald bragging about the new "Family Truckster!" Once Ford released that ad campaign I knew it would be too embarrassing to be seen in one. "You may hate it now, but wait until you drive it!" ROFL

Sure, AM radio would be nice, but what I REALLY want is an 8 Track player! I really like the Mach-e steering ratio where I can turn the wheel a whole bunch before it really does anything. This is the best Station Wagon EVER!!

Yeah, I think Ford has a particular buyer demographic in mind. I mean Christ, they even had Clark Griswald bragging about the new "Family Truckster!" Once Ford released that ad campaign I knew it would be too embarrassing to be seen in one. "You may hate it now, but wait until you drive it!" ROFL
I dont like crossovers to begin with, seeing the grizwolds driving one would kill whatever utility vs my personal tastes internal arguement remained. As I approach my 45th birthday tat makes me hopeful Im not turning into someone a younger me would laugh at :)