Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's official. The Mach-e GT Performance edition is a turd and comes nowhere close to Ford's advertised 0-60 times. Needless to say, it's no threat to the Y Performance. My GT Performance Edition (GTPE) first track launch with videos, timeslip! 0-60 in 4.12s, 1/4 mile in 12.567 @ 100.02 mph What's funny, is that the driver is actually thrilled, LOL.
Hold my beer. Holy guacamole! So Ford has matched my 46k M3 LR performance (before 2k SW acceleration upgrade) with a hairless fish SUV for 70k. I think Elon Musk should donate Ford an ambient puke sound generator.

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis and SO16
So is the Mach E an electric version of the Econoline Van? 😈

All I can say is that I had a first generation Ford Transit Connect. It was a great design: the perfect size, not too large, but big enough to carry a fridge, wrap around back doors and best of all, sliding doors on each side

but . . .

the build quality was absolute shite!

The molding fell of the driver's door, the rear view mirror fell off, the windows stopped going up and down, the doors wouldn't lock, the radio died, the armrest sucked, one of the rollers in the side door needed replacing - and that's on a vehicle that basically had no interior! A work vehicle too

"Built Ford Tough" - lol

Well, it looks like the time they got for the GTPE was accurate as another member (same thread linked above) got a similar result with his GTPE. That's sad. There's lots of speculation, but Ford looked like they simply went for the 0-60 time (which they haven't achieved) and limited the top end. Why is the million dollar question.

They seem pretty silent too. Imagine picking up one of these for 64K (after the tax break) expecting to get Model Y performance times only to get a trap speed slower than a non-performance Y.

Well, it looks like the time they got for the GTPE was accurate as another member (same thread linked above) got a similar result with his GTPE. That's sad. There's lots of speculation, but Ford looked like they simply went for the 0-60 time (which they haven't achieved) and limited the top end. Why is the million dollar question.

They seem pretty silent too. Imagine picking up one of these for 64K (after the tax break) expecting to get Model Y performance times only to get a trap speed slower than a non-performance Y.
I basically said last year that the Mach-E is a PR action by Ford with a small-volume compliance vehicle based on a re-worked Ford Focus/Escape platform. They won't make the Mach-E or any other -E to eat into their ICE vehicle market. The fact that 80% of the Mach-E buyers are not Ford owners shows what Ford owners (including the Mustang owners) think about this -E ugliness.

I feel sorry for all those GTPE guys but I can't say I'm surprised. This fiasco is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Ford's got some serious explaining to do... yet they are completely silent on the issue.

Btw, I should add that Ford's MachE 1400 showed up at Goodwood. I was laughing at how bad it is. Two weeks of setup time and multiple runs netted it a 54 sec lap time. To give you an idea 54 seconds is similar to mid 80's touring cars, then consider the 1400 is their racecar platform with 1400 hp.

Last edited:
Btw, I should add that Ford's MachE 1400 showed up at Goodwood. I was laughing at how bad it is. Two weeks of setup time and multiple runs netted it a 54 sec lap time. To give you an idea 54 seconds is similar to mid 80's touring cars, then consider the 1400 is their racecar platform with 1400 hp.

My Great Aunt's Austin Allegro could do it in 54 seconds 🤡

. . . with her driving it !!!

I'm still amazed at how much of a *sugar* show the Mach-e is turning out to be yet not a word in the media.

Multiple serious issues with many cars, flat out not working/HV battery issues, gear selection, PAAK etc this is ignoring the many dozen simple software issues.
Huge delays on parts with no time frame.
Now the GT/GTPE is a dog over 70mph and can barely trap at 100mph on the 1/4 mile

Yet no word from Ford, no reviews from media etc on the GT.

Despite this the mach-e forum still takes the piss out of Tesla, if tesla had issues like this they would have been dead and the media would be onto literally every post on that forum.

What's unfortunate is the Mach-e is the first EV for many and they're coming into an experience that would surely drive some back to ICE or leave a bad taste.

The ones I feel the worst for are the European owners. Ford's service is mostly crap here in the US, so you can imagine how they are in Europe where parts aren't as easily available.

And yeah that GTPE issue is just hilarious. There's no other word to describe that situation. They are so predicable.

Reactions: Big Earl and alexgr
Well, put up or shut up right? If they end up performing and working through this all in good time then the problems will be forgotten. But the idea new players will swoop in and take over the EV market based on their long histories alone is nuts, a whole new paradigm has been established. Under promise and over perform is a good plan, hopefully they won’t sour too many people on the transition. Competition will be good for all in the end.

Reactions: alexgr
What's unfortunate is the Mach-e is the first EV for many and they're coming into an experience that would surely drive some back to ICE or leave a bad taste.

The ones I feel the worst for are the European owners. Ford's service is mostly crap here in the US, so you can imagine how they are in Europe where parts aren't as easily available.

And yeah that GTPE issue is just hilarious. There's no other word to describe that situation. They are so predicable.
I had this 'crazy' theory that Ford makes the Mach-E to discredit the EVs. It looks less crazy every day I read the Mach-E forum.