Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was booted for linking a Sandy Munroe video where he shows the Mach-e cells are identical to the Bolt cells!
I was trying to be super polite for the first day there, but on the second day I said the truth that the Mach-E is a limited volume compliance vehicle with undercooked design and overhyped by the Ford's PR department, that Ford spent more money on PR than on engineering of the Mach-E which is loosely based on the Focus/Escape platform, and that it will give a lot of headache to the owners. I was booted in a few minutes.

OMG. 1.8%, heck no 0.18% failure rate would be top news if it were Tesla.
23 battery-dead Mach-Es are reported on the MachEForum.com. This is 0.13% of ALL 17,277 Mach-Es sold in the US by the end of August. If we count all registered members of the Mach-E forum = 6700 members, than the failure rate is at least 0.34% (more than 3 vehicles per thousand). But many of those 6700 members are NOT Mach-E owners, some are duplicate accounts, some a abandoned accounts, etc. My estimate was that there are about 1000 Mach-E owners there now, which makes the failure rate of about 2.3% at minimum. 18% is probably an overestimate as most voters were interested at looking at that poll at minimum. Anyway, this is terrible, frankly.

I'm waiting to see what their promised OTAs are going to be like. I mean the ones that are actually supposed to do something. I'm predicting lots of bricked MMEs.
I am nervous to see what happens to the Mach-E's LG batteries when they start increasing the load of the batteries and their infamous heat management system through OTA updates. Is Ford jealous of GM that is in a good position to terminate the EVs for the second time?

What a topic! :) I don't care about other opinions. Each use case is different, hence, each car fits more or less each use case. If a MME is the thing for you, buy one and be happy, same applies, if a Tesla Y is your car, get one and enjoy.
In any case, enjoy whatever you're driving.

So basically every Mach-e is recalled for glass issues
Basically. I guess this is just the beginning. If you look at their funboy's forum you will see a trail of TSBs which have a good potential, when unable to solve issues, lead to other full scale recalls. Have you seen that Norwegian guy expressing his displeasure with Mach-E issues at the MachEForum and the funboys basically tell him that he does not need this and that and the car must be excused since it is in the first full year of production.

Reactions: RobDickinson
I have certainly seen excuses for Tesla about fit and finish issues, misalignments, etc. But the excuses those Ford folk make for drivetrain and core functionality is insane. Not to mention cannot get any support other than, will send a tow truck. No remote diagnostic, etc.

Posters say well, a car is a car and a phone is a phone. I didn’t buy it for the technology. If I don’t use x, y and z, it’s great! I don’t use the app, and the car itself is great.

Don’t use the app? My god, I use the app all the time for my Tesla. Pre-conditioning, charge status, etc. Holy smokes. Especially if I had to deal with such a crappy charging network. Give me “panel gaps” all day long. The self inflicted pain some will endure due to their absurd disdain of Tesla/Elon, is unreal.

Ford and their owners make fun of the “beta” for Tesla and it not being a finished product. Well, if that’s Ford’s finished product, that’s sad.

Meanwhile I’m having fun with the “game-a-fied” driving scoring in the Tesla app “beta” to try to be a better driver.

Hopefully Ford will get this sorted out as it is a new vehicle. (I have owned 3 Fords and still own one so I question if this will happen but I hope they do.) We need more people buying EVs. Since many of those buyers will not buy a Tesla, I don’t want them going back to gas.

Last edited:
When they make excuses like that, Ford will have little to no incentive to improve anything in a hurry. There are other EV choices besides Ford for the 'never Tesla' crowd. And others on the way. Yes, we'll lose some to ICE, but I don't see Ford getting this sorted in the short term. They need a complete change of mindset which isn't happening anytime time soon.

Reactions: mark95476
What a topic! :) I don't care about other opinions. Each use case is different, hence, each car fits more or less each use case. If a MME is the thing for you, buy one and be happy, same applies, if a Tesla Y is your car, get one and enjoy.
In any case, enjoy whatever you're driving.
I’m with you. The fact that there is a mass market car that can even be compared with a Tesla is fantastic; let’s hope that Ford is successful and sells a million of them.