Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since release I've only seen about 3-4 Mach-e's in Miami. I thought I'd see way more than that by now, but Tesla still rules by a wide margin. My workplace alone has about 4 or 5. And in one day I can easily count 5-10 on the way to work and back. Lots of Model Ys as well. This all seemed to have really ramped up in the last year or so.

Oh yeh! Now we know why the Mach-E is definitely better than Tesla. Ford delays OTA updates of safety issues to avoid issuing recalls... 🤣 I am out of words on the rediculous efforts of Ford fans trying to justify their choice.

Oh yeh! Now we know why the Mach-E is definitely better than Tesla. Ford delays OTA updates of safety issues to avoid issuing recalls... 🤣 I am out of words on the rediculous efforts of Ford fans trying to justify their choice.

Sounds familiar

I am astounded how poor other EV cars are, even when they already spent years of R&D on them (Nissan Leaf, very early lead, squandered)

VW iD series also years of development, and "meh" results.
And so on.

Reactions: alexgr
Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.

Well, no matter how good Mach-E is, has still has no chance against Tesla (no non-Tesla EV will), and any ICE.

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa and wws
With a customer base like this, why would Ford even try to fix anything knowing they'll still buy them? This very attitude will carry over to the F-150.

The design is flawed (so many modules - as Munroe correctly pointed out) and does not allow for a simple OTA update process. Look at how long dealers are taking to complete updates. And often, Ford has to be involved in to ensure the vehicle isn't bricked.

These people are content with Ford lying to their faces. And like predicted, the Ford representative is responding less and less to issues on the forum. They were completely silent on the GT PE performance issue. When they eventually bail, the forum response will be hilarious.

This is a surprisingly even keeled breakdown. Cliffs the Y beats the E in practically every category.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
So it turns out the ford can only manage 5 seconds of power before having to mostly shut down due to overheating etc (pack/inverter).

This in Europe would be known as power boost and legally they should be advertising the normal rate as its bhp/kw power with boost like Porsche etc do, rather than the boost value as the headline power.

So it turns out the ford can only manage 5 seconds of power before having to mostly shut down due to overheating etc (pack/inverter).

This in Europe would be known as power boost and legally they should be advertising the normal rate as its bhp/kw power with boost like Porsche etc do, rather than the boost value as the headline power.
Yeap. I was lol'ing while reading about this. This is the result of a lackluster cooling system. I concur with your point of how a limit pertains to the definition of its power output. It's a good take on it. A tesla won't start throttling until after like 30 mins of hotlaps at the ring which is like like 3 laps... and the E cannot handle 5 secs lol.

Yeap. I was lol'ing while reading about this. This is the result of a lackluster cooling system. I concur with your point of how a limit pertains to the definition of its power output. It's a good take on it. A tesla won't start throttling until after like 30 mins of hotlaps at the ring which is like like 3 laps... and the E cannot handle 5 secs lol.
Crikey! And the Mach-E is considered one of the best BEV's on market?!?

Not only does Tesla promise a faster production rate, but there is nothing that can compete against it!

I didn't read all 33 pages of this thread, but I'd like to add the following observations:

1 - I read C&D religiously for 20 years until around 2010 when they became nothing more than an advertisement for OEM's.

2 - They have shown clear bias against EV's for at least a decade ( because see #1 ^ ).

3 - Ford's play on the Mustang brand is lazy, pathetic and dilutes the Mustang's legendary status in automobile history.

4 - IMHO the MME is the ugliest EV in mass production right now. It reminds me of a Coda...especially the front.

I own M3 and MY. I have Ioniq 5 and EV6 as planned additions for 2022. MME comes nowhere close.

Reactions: Nakk
I think the Porsche Taycan Turbo S (highest level trim) can only hold the "boost" for a few seconds as well.

Porsche had commercials where they made a big deal out of being able to do back-to-back-to-back launches, but there was a lot of missing info.

I think the Porsche Taycan Turbo S (highest level trim) can only hold the "boost" for a few seconds as well.

Porsche had commercials where they made a big deal out of being able to do back-to-back-to-back launches, but there was a lot of missing info.
Oh that's right, I remember that now. However that apparently didn't help them in the Japan Grand EV series.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
6/10 and down a lap. I mean, at least the Taycan finished ahead of the Leaf and other budget cars. 😄😁😆😅

I read somewhere that Porsche sized and tuned the cooling in the Taycan to get through a single lap of the Nurburgring. That's making more and more sense now.

Oh that's right, I remember that now. However that apparently didn't help them in the Japan Grand EV series.

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman