Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you imagine the recall if this was Tesla. Instead, not a peep with tons of these reports over on the mme forum.

Unable to shift - Please stop Safely (A complete write up)
Did anyone try to estimate based on MachEForum reports how many Mach-Es experience complete failure leading to (at least, temporary) inability to drive out of all the owners registered on that forum and out of all sold Mach-Es. My early estimate was that somewhere between 5% and 10% of all Mach-Es experience critical failures. This is, frankly, terrifying, and it is plain irresponsible that no journalist picks up this story, even Zach Shahan.

Reactions: croman and geekfam
Reading the account, I'm more scared that the tow companies refusing to tow an EV may extend to Teslas. It was reported widely in EV circles of the Mach E examples having batteries damaged because the tow driver didn't know where to hook the car.

As for the actual issue, if it's from a dead 12V that's not as big a deal, although it's unusual for a new car like that to have a dead 12V so soon.

Dead 12Vs are more common than you think with new EVs. ID.4s, EV6s, Ioniq 5s, etc. It's happening to folks across the world.

It's why I think Tesla moved to 15V li-ion for the "12V" battery in newest shipment of Ys and I recall VW has said they would too for the ID.3/ID.4 in 2022 (details were vague).

My suspicion is DC-DC converters are nuking these 12Vs or they are failing to charge them as designed in software/firmware.

Did anyone try to estimate based on MachEForum reports how many Mach-Es experience complete failure leading to (at least, temporary) inability to drive out of all the owners registered on that forum and out of all sold Mach-Es. My early estimate was that somewhere between 5% and 10% of all Mach-Es experience critical failures. This is, frankly, terrifying, and it is plain irresponsible that no journalist picks up this story, even Zach Shahan.

There were approximately 23K Mach-E sold in the US last year. The failure rate is pretty low IMO.

The ID.4 on the other hand... wow. It's weekly posts on the battery coolant pump failures and electrical glitches. It also sold 25K-ish like the Mach-E in the US.

I think the biggest issues with the Mach-E are related to Phone-As-A-Key (not reliable), OTA (inconsistent - some get updates, some have to go to dealers, some neither work), suspension bounciness.

Here... everybody talks about Phantom Braking all the time.

Aside from the performance issue, what are those constantly flashing lights behind the steering wheel? Are they always on when driving? That would drive me nuts.

That's the BlueCruise infrared eye/face scanner. You don't see it blinking when driving - only the cameras/video capture (much like how LED headlights don't blink in real life to our human eyes). It's for the hands-free driving on BlueCruise support highways.

• Informative
Reactions: chinney
Dead 12Vs are more common than you think with new EVs. ID.4s, EV6s, Ioniq 5s, etc. It's happening to folks across the world.

It's why I think Tesla moved to 15V li-ion for the "12V" battery in newest shipment of Ys and I recall VW has said they would too for the ID.3/ID.4 in 2022 (details were vague).

My suspicion is DC-DC converters are nuking these 12Vs or they are failing to charge them as designed in software/firmware.
The dead battery situation seems particularly serious in the Mach-e. Batteries are dying quickly even when the vehicle is in deep sleep. There's post after post of this happening which IMO is enough anecdotal evidence to conclude it is a fairly widespread issue at this point. The scary part is Ford really doesn't seem to have permanent fix for this except to swap out batteries and reset codes. Supposedly there are firmware update(s) that take care of the problem, but owners have had it re-occur.
There were approximately 23K Mach-E sold in the US last year. The failure rate is pretty low IMO.

The ID.4 on the other hand... wow. It's weekly posts on the battery coolant pump failures and electrical glitches. It also sold 25K-ish like the Mach-E in the US.

I think the biggest issues with the Mach-E are related to Phone-As-A-Key (not reliable), OTA (inconsistent - some get updates, some have to go to dealers, some neither work), suspension bounciness.

Here... everybody talks about Phantom Braking all the time.

The OTA problem with the Mach-E, IMO, stems from a design decision to use a multitude of modules (a lot more than Tesla) in the electrical system, all requiring firmware updates of a certain level (and order I believe) to operate properly leading to all sorts of random issues and firmware mismatches when things don't go right. Munroe pointed this out early on when he did a comparo between the id4, Mach-e and Tesla. I personally don't think this can be easily fixed without a re-design.

There are pros and cons of an integrated vs distributed system like in the Mach-E, but Tesla's approach has proven to be robust. Not perfect, but reliable enough for owners to be comfortable with major OTAs. If it was one thing Ford should have copied, was this design. Instead, Mach-E owners are required to visit dealers for more substantial OTAs often placing themselves in the hands of incompetence.

Another big issue besides the cooling system design, is Sync 4 itself which is in dire need of a re-write from the ground up it seems.

Last edited:
Another big issue besides the cooling system design, is Sync 4 itself which is in dire need of a re-write from the ground up it seems.
I believe Ford has announced they're moving to Android Automotive (for all their cars). I doubt cars built with Sync will get an upgrade, but it seems like a much better option for future cars than continuing to build their own infotainment platform.

Wow, 17 categories for the Best electric cars and EVs for 2022 and Tesla not mentioned once... not even as a runner up.
The bias is absolutely blatant. Apparently Tesla is the best selling EV in the world for no good reason at all.

Best electric SUV or crossover
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E

Best midsize electric car runner-up
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E

Wow. Car & Driver did not mince words in this head to head matchup.

The simple truth is that the MY came to market a year earlier, allowing Ford to take aim and level it. The MME is a better value, better looking, better built, smoother driving, easier to operate, and quieter car.

Really the only material reasons to buy a Y are if you like the Tesla software/minimalist ecosystem, you want to pay $10k to be a “full self driving” (it’s not, and it’s many years away, but it’s further along than Ford) guinea pig, or if you plan to road trip so much that need the superior convenience of the supercharger network (a gap that is closing thanks to all other mfgs adopting CCS).

This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.
It’s amazing what advertising dollars will do for ones perspective.

Little investigation reveals the reasons for the blatant BIAS...
Roadshow partners with truecar and truecar partners with car dealers..... all except Tesla.
Zero incentive for them to include Tesla in the rankings.
Wow, the misinformation is just sickening. I feel sorry for typical uninformed average joe buying cars these days.

Wow, 17 categories for the Best electric cars and EVs for 2022 and Tesla not mentioned once... not even as a runner up.
The bias is absolutely blatant. Apparently Tesla is the best selling EV in the world for no good reason at all.

this is why I canceled my subscription to C&D

I believe Ford has announced they're moving to Android Automotive (for all their cars). I doubt cars built with Sync will get an upgrade, but it seems like a much better option for future cars than continuing to build their own infotainment platform.
I've seen this mentioned as well, but given Ford's track record with timely updates, there's a good chance this wouldn't come to fruition anytime soon. I'm curious to see if there will be any improvement in the F-150s.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
Little investigation reveals the reasons for the blatant BIAS...
Roadshow partners with truecar and truecar partners with car dealers..... all except Tesla.
Zero incentive for them to include Tesla in the rankings.
Wow, the misinformation is just sickening. I feel sorry for typical uninformed average joe buying cars these days.
Well, nothing prevents Tesla from outspending every ICE manufacturer on advertisement, and from basically buying every automotive journalist. Apparently, Tesla decided to see how long any-kind-of-PR is PR will work for them for free. So far, it works. My only concern is when other ICE manufacturers are starting to go heavy on bribing political process to hurt Tesla legislatively. Soon Tesla may need to spend on buying politicians to stop the crazy printer legislative machine.

I think now that there's no referral program at all anymore there's less of an incentive to promote the company. Lately, I've been telling people to wait a couple more years for all these recently announced EVs to become available first.

I think now that there's no referral program at all anymore there's less of an incentive to promote the company. Lately, I've been telling people to wait a couple more years for all these recently announced EVs to become available first.
In the meantime, buy a Tesla And sell it in two years if you want something else. Used is going for a good price. At least for now.