Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's nice to see some honesty once in a while:

Ouch. Besides the thermal problems, it sounds like the Magneride programming has major issues too. To me that's just as disappointing. Inconsistent suspension behavior sounds terrible for a performance car. A stock Model 3 Performance is a little sloppy but it's consistently sloppy. 😂

I didn't notice the understeer/oversteer inconsistency on my GT PE test drive but I didn't reach its limits either. The roads I drove it on were all too busy or too narrow for that, especially driving an unfamiliar car on largely unfamiliar roads. This is where professional reviews are most useful, Motor Trend got enough seat time to tease out a serious issue that I couldn't in my test drive.

I did leave my test drives with a clear preference for the Polestar 2 Performance Öhlins DFV over the Mach-E GT PE Magneride. Something about the Öhlins or the Polestar itself gave me huge confidence to push that car hard, whereas the GT PE was more aloof feeling. I did drive the Polestar on more familiar roads though.

Last edited:
@Jonathan Pham Are you sure about that? Last fall when I asked a Ford dealer about lead time for a Mach-E GT PE they said 6+ months. Which means someone who placed an order then probably still wouldn't have it yet!
There are 12 Mach E’s available within 200 miles of where I live and could pick up today. (Includes Chicago and Detroit.)

There’s only one Tesla (model S plaid) available within 200 miles.

Custom order for a Mach E may of course still take a while. Especially since Ford paused building them due to chip shortages.

-rear cross traffic alert
My take away from the last FSD AI video Tesla released was that AP will, at a minimum, be able to watch everyone around you all the time and have continuously updated deterministic paths plotted for all of them. Given this, Tesla should have the most robust driver safety system on the planet. Just imagine the system looking both ways all the time when you approach and intersection and, well in advance you spotting it, seeing and knowing by vector and velocity that someone is running the crossing light and going to hit you. FSD need not be engaged; this should all be working in the background.

Talk about driver safety features!

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
There are 12 Mach E’s available within 200 miles of where I live and could pick up today. (Includes Chicago and Detroit.)

I highly doubt this. Most listed cars are customer’s order (annoying that Ford shoves them into the system and they show up on dealer websites - green stickers) and are being built (blue sticker - dealer order but not actually on lot). I suspect if you called all these dealers maybe 1-2 are available. Anything with a $10K markup is probably available but even they are sold within a week or two.

Reactions: CyberB and tm1v2
I highly doubt this. Most listed cars are customer’s order (annoying that Ford shoves them into the system and they show up on dealer websites - green stickers) and are being built (blue sticker - dealer order but not actually on lot). I suspect if you called all these dealers maybe 1-2 are available. Anything with a $10K markup is probably available but even they are sold within a week or two.
I just checked a couple from the shop.ford site and then went directly to the corresponding dealer site. The photos looked like custom pictures on their lots. But I didn’t call. I despise dealerships and don’t care to be on the phone with them.

I just checked a couple from the shop.ford site and then went directly to the corresponding dealer site. The photos looked like custom pictures on their lots. But I didn’t call. I despise dealerships and don’t care to be on the phone with them.

Custom pictures + markup is a sign that is it "available" but from my experience I've been told "pending sale" countless times because they are snatched up instantly (much like Model Ys off inventory).

It's much easier to buy a new Ioniq 5 (which are readily available).

Reactions: tm1v2
@SO16 My experience was the same as @voxel, most Mach-E listings on dealer websites were customer ordered cars.

Of course there's always a chance whoever ordered it ends up not buying it, but it seemed easier to catch a TM3 and maybe also a TMY in Tesla inventory, than to score a Mach-E quickly from the disorganized mess of Ford dealers.

Also in my book the only Mach-E actually worth considering was the GT PE (before I knew all about the thermal issues!). For whatever reason Ford seemed to be prioritizing lower trim levels, so odds of getting a GT PE quickly were near zero. Whereas I got my M3P from inventory easily!

Btw that @Jonathan Pham account that triggered this availability side discussion is probably a spam account. Fits a pattern of a bunch of new accounts all registered to pump a different EV brand (not Tesla or Ford).

For whatever reason Ford seemed to be prioritizing lower trim levels, so odds of getting a GT PE quickly were near zero. Whereas I got my M3P from inventory easily!

GTPEs are now prioritized. That's my ONLY order that has a build date and it's 2.5 months newer than the other ones. It seems the most common trim Premium AWD Extended Range has lower margins and Ford simply isn't producing many now.

Reactions: tm1v2
Model 3 and Model Y owner here; friend got her Mach E last Friday so I drove it around this weekend a fair bit to try to compare. most of these things others have called out as well.

PROS - Genuinely a better built vehicle (consistent panel gaps, no squeaks/rattles), a more comfortable ride (my biggest gripe of the MY with induction rims) with 20" tires, quieter ride, 360 Camera, Apple Carplay.
CONS - Efficiency (same battery pack yields less range), long-term dependability is unknown, having to deal with a Ford dealer (she ordered hers, dealer said can sell at MSRP, then threw in $2k of add-ons last minute), no supercharger network.

But many reviewers & critics do have this right (C&D included), the Mach E drives and rides better than the Model Y. Honestly just depends on your priorities in what you're looking for in a car. I honestly would consider the Mach E maybe 2-3 years down the line after seeing how the first few model years are + the impact of the 4680's on the Model Y.

Reactions: voxel
I remember considering my first S. My primary concerns were battery and power train longevity. It was basically a $100k crap shoot.

As it turned out, the batteries in our S' have done reasonably well. Loss of capacity has been excellent (warm S. FL helps) and there has been but one contactor failure (in 8 cars). There were the multiple cricket rear ends which all got addressed in a timely fashion without loss of too much use. In short, an excellent experience for a brand new technology and company.

Fast forward to Ford. They have engineers but engineers do not run the show. Is the battery a core competence or is it jobbed out? What are the odds that Ford will execute long term as well as Tesla? Given Tesla is already proven, is it wise to take the risk for anything less than a completely new compelling technology? Probably not for me but likely is an option for others especially those on the EV side line (a-wait'n for a Merican built car :) ).

The good news is Tesla has succeeded in accelerating the adoption of BeV.

I agree. I was looking for Subaru Outback couple of a weeks ago and bunch showed up on True Car inventory... called the dealer to find out that these were customer orders and real wait is about 6 months.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and voxel
This is the way of things. Competition continually improves. The Mach E wins this segment. We’ll see what the future holds.

The Mach E didn’t win my money and surely, wouldn’t sales in a segment cement arguments on who won? It’s true that CCS standards are making it easier but the charging network across EMEA is fragmented. I have 6-charging apps to manage. Tesla is currently the best and most consistent.

However, anything that shakes up the market is good news in my book. It forces manufacturers to up their game.