Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the 3 is a joy, the Y isn't.”

those journalists have prostituted themselves on the Ford altar….

Utter idiots.

Many MY owners used to own a Model 3.
You can find their thoughts on this forum.
None of them support the views of a “ car and driver”

ps …I have a friend with a Mach E and even he prefers the MY !
Get him writing about it so that Ford can improve.

Not surprised one bit about this. Let's see if this makes the news.

Not surprised one bit about this. Let's see if this makes the news.
I follow the Forum on that car. I was quite interested in buying one but then changed my mind a while ago. There are a lot of reports about this problem. Someone there even has a list of forum members who were affected.

I have been following this issue on the MME Forums for a while. It is not surprising to me that something like this has arisen with technology as new (to Ford) as the MME, but it is a bit surprising to me how much difficulty Ford is having getting on top of the issue. I do not have the anti-Ford animus of some on this site - I have been a happy Ford owner over the years, prior to owning my Model 3. That said, I do think that Ford got somewhat caught with their pants down with EV technology after Tesla's success and rushed the MME to the market without some key issues worked out, or - as it turns out - even all that near to being worked out. I suspect that Ford will do better with the Lightening. But it may take another generation of the MME before it is a vehicle that inspires confidence. As it is, I would not buy one.

I have been following this issue on the MME Forums for a while. It is not surprising to me that something like this has arisen with technology as new (to Ford) as the MME, but it is a bit surprising to me how much difficulty Ford is having getting on top of the issue. I do not have the anti-Ford animus of some on this site - I have been a happy Ford owner over the years, prior to owning my Model 3. That said, I do think that Ford got somewhat caught with their pants down with EV technology after Tesla's success and rushed the MME to the market without some key issues worked out, or - as it turns out - even all that near to being worked out. I suspect that Ford will do better with the Lightening. But it may take another generation of the MME before it is a vehicle that inspires confidence. As it is, I would not buy one.
it's rare for a 1st generation vehicle from the traditional integrators to be a finished product.
yes, they are integrators more than OEM's, essentially assembling most of a vehicle from 3rd party suppliers.

it's rare for a 1st generation vehicle from the traditional integrators to be a finished product.
yes, they are integrators more than OEM's, essentially assembling most of a vehicle from 3rd party suppliers.
Even more, they've just been integrating the same product starting with the Farmall Tractor, tweaking it to become a pickup. Adding a mediocre car line that they've essentially let rot.
Now, they realize that, in order to survive, they must innovate. Its kind of like the Ford v Ferrari movie. A lot of dead weight probably standing in the way of a few genuine design geniuses.
Like the movie, I just hope the guys at the top force the middle baggage to stay out of the way so the geniuses can eventually get the MachE and F150 Lightning right.
We need more EVs in America. A good non-Tesla American sporty CUV and Pickup are just the thing to really push the transition from ICE. The Teslas are awesome too but it takes more, even if it is just to make Tesla look better.

There are already good non-Tesla CUVs besides Ford. And if Rivian gets its act together, we should see more of them on the road as well. The other guys are on a roll. It's now up to Ford to produce something that people can rely on. And I'm not holding out much hope for the Lightning being free of similar serious issues either.

• Funny
Reactions: Stuart Watson
That said, I do think that Ford got somewhat caught with their pants down with EV technology after Tesla's success and rushed the MME to the market without some key issues worked out

Not so much "caught with their pants down" as did everything in their power to kill EVs and reduce CAFE standards. They're now dealing with the consequences of their actions and playing catch-up

Hard to feel sympathy for them really, though I also agree that the more EVs there are on the road, the better it'll be for everybody

IN THE BEGINNING, as the saying goes, Tesla's goal was to prove to all the other car manufacturers that building a good electric car was DOABLE. They've done that. None of the other guys would have ever even thought about making an electric powered car until Tesla pushed them, complaining, into the ring, and now, after having bought a Tesla to tear down and examine, they cautiously put their foot in the water.

Without Tesla, we still would all be driving gas cars, with gas car companies and oil companies paying off politicians under the table to protect their products.

There are already good non-Tesla CUVs besides Ford. And if Rivian gets its act together, we should see more of them on the road as well. The other guys are on a roll. It's now up to Ford to produce something that people can rely on. And I'm not holding out much hope for the Lightning being free of similar serious issues either.
In what way are they “on a roll” 😂.
That’s hilarious… I spat my coffee out !

You are RJ Scaringe and I claim my $100 bucks!

That’s the most stupid claim ever.
Look at that sales and deliveries…

Please post evidence of your claim!

In what way are they “on a roll” 😂.
That’s hilarious… I spat my coffee out !

You are RJ Scaringe and I claim my $100 bucks!

That’s the most stupid claim ever.
Look at that sales and deliveries…

Please post evidence of your claim!
Post evidence for yours first. I think you spat more than your coffee out.

Most of what I read is BEV sales for Audi, Volkswagen, and Hyundai have been trending up. The current chip shortage did have an impact on sales and deliveries, but that's to be expected.

• Funny
You mean assembly or parts? The Mach-E is assembled in China and Mexico from my understanding. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there. Parts are very likely a mixture of domestic and foreign. I know the battery cells are LG.

I'm just happy to see more EVs on the road, locally assembled or not.
Good point. I'll quit caring much about the Mach-E as well.
:-(