Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post evidence for yours first. I think you spat more than your coffee out.

Most of what I read is BEV sales for Audi, Volkswagen, and Hyundai have been trending up. The current chip shortage did have an impact on sales and deliveries, but that's to be expected.

And if you are having trouble reading …

The report says that 37,162 Tesla electric cars

were registered during the first month of the year (up 49% year-over-year).

This is almost 74% of the total BEV segment

74% ! 😂

Last edited:
Post evidence for yours first. I think you spat more than your coffee out.

Most of what I read is BEV sales for Audi, Volkswagen, and Hyundai have been trending up. The current chip shortage did have an impact on sales and deliveries, but that's to be expected.
You said non Tesla sales were “Trending up “

Very “woke” ….

You do realise that it doesn’t tell us anything about their share, just that it’s “a prevailing tendency” 😂

And if you are having trouble reading …

The report says that 37,162 Tesla electric cars

were registered during the first month of the year (up 49% year-over-year).

This is almost 74% of the total BEV segment

74% ! 😂
I'm not comparing the others to Tesla. We know Tesla is no.1. I was comparing them to the Mach-E to imply that Ford needs to get their act together or they'll get left behind. So you've proved nothing.

You just made up something to get angry at. And lol at your 'woke' comment. I had a good laugh.

• Funny
Reactions: Stuart Watson
Most of the world have forgotten the golden rule "first, do the job".

One of my old partners wanted to job out core design and production and concentrate purely on sales and marketing. He wanted to get rid of all that low margin work or, as one of my programming partners used to call it, the high grief to cash ratio tasks. Yea, that company went belly up.

Tesla develops its own batteries. Sure, they work with Panasonic to produce some of their cells but the core IP is (mostly) theirs.

Tesla does their own modules. When parts shortages occur, they have the internal knowledge to port their code to a different processor, layout a different PCB and keep rocking on. I suspect the code base was designed from the start to be portable to other chip architectures.

As much of a pigs ear as they are making of FSD, they own that as well. It is a huge gamble but, if they get it to work, it will be another hard to assail differentiator for the brand.

As others have pointed out, Ford is more integrator. One of the companies I was involved with succeeded because we completely "owned" our product. When there was a problem/bug, we had the ability to troubleshoot down to the bios level and nail down the problem for our customer (and their software provider). This allowed us to compete with Toshiba and the like. By not owning the core IP, Ford does not have the ability to immediately marshal the resources to solve complicated (or even simple) problems. This will make it very difficult for them make a go of EVs in the short run and there may not be enough runway for them to make a go of them at all.

As others have pointed out, Ford is more integrator. One of the companies I was involved with succeeded because we completely "owned" our product. When there was a problem/bug, we had the ability to troubleshoot down to the bios level and nail down the problem for our customer (and their software provider). This allowed us to compete with Toshiba and the like. By not owning the core IP, Ford does not have the ability to immediately marshal the resources to solve complicated (or even simple) problems. This will make it very difficult for them make a go of EVs in the short run and there may not be enough runway for them to make a go of them at all.
Their Sync software has had a bad rep for a long while and being Ford, they just continued to push it. Add to that their reputation for leaving issues unfixed for long periods and their CEO trying to take on Tesla, and you have a major part of the recipe for what we're seeing now. Some on the forum mentioned they were going to switch to Android as their OS at some point, but that won't happen in time.

I agree that not owning the IP could be a factor, but I think in Ford's case, it's mostly a result of buggy software, a poor design (both electric and thermal), and rushing an unfinished product out the door.

I'm not comparing the others to Tesla. We know Tesla is no.1. I was comparing them to the Mach-E to imply that Ford needs to get their act together or they'll get left behind. So you've proved nothing.

You just made up something to get angry at. And lol at your 'woke' comment. I had a good laugh.
I quoted your actual words…. But maybe you are having trouble reading.

• Disagree
Reactions: KG M3
Actually I just saw some big Ford - like an Expedition or something but with all manner of shite on the roof. Seriously it looked like a LAPD cop car from some 1940s movie ... is that their attempt at self driving?

There has to be a significant range decrease with that on the roof. It'd be like flying all day with full flaps on

Actually I just saw some big Ford - like an Expedition or something but with all manner of shite on the roof. Seriously it looked like a LAPD cop car from some 1940s movie ... is that their attempt at self driving?

There has to be a significant range decrease with that on the roof. It'd be like flying all day with full flaps on
Did it look similar to this?

I've seen them in Miami. Ford partnered with Argo Ai to come up with these.

The affected vehicles include model year 2021 and 2022 vehicles built between May 27th, 2020, and May 24th, 2022...
Ford says the problem can be fixed with an over-the-air software update, which will be issued “next month.” Mustang Mach-E owners can also take their vehicles to a Ford or Lincoln dealership for a more immediate software fix.

Reactions: alexgr
You can really see the writing on the wall when it comes to the caviler attitude towards producing big batteries for long life service in cars. Tesla made/makes it look easy but it most certainly is not. It was my #1 concern when considering a $100k gamble on Model S in 2012.

Having any company have a large hiccup is bad news for moving BeVs forward. I do hope this is a small problem.

You can really see the writing on the wall when it comes to the caviler attitude towards producing big batteries for long life service in cars. Tesla made/makes it look easy but it most certainly is not. It was my #1 concern when considering a $100k gamble on Model S in 2012.

Having any company have a large hiccup is bad news for moving BeVs forward. I do hope this is a small problem.
Remember that Tesla spent its 1st 2 years studying and working out battery issues. They only came out of stealth mode after they had figured it out. They burned a whole lot in the process.
The other numbskulls arrogantly think they can just outsource the problem to a bunch of Korean toymakers and the problem will be solved by someone else.
The sad thing is that Tesla told everyone (who would listen), exactly how to do it. To date, AFAIK, nobody else is using cylindrical cells and doing thermal management the same way Tesla does.

Last edited: