Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
even Tesla, with so many years ahead, still have numeric recalls (center display overheat, X side airbags etc. just to name a couple).
when I bought my Mach E, I fully expected it likely would have more issues than a mature product. I just hope my Tesla Model Y holds better.
Immature?....the Mustang has been in continuous production since 1964...they should have got it right by now (or called it something different)

Well, Tesla only has a 10 year head start. That can't make difference to a true Blue fanboi.
Actually, Ford had about a 10 year head start on Tesla. Ford was actually making EVs in the late 1990's. The Ford Ranger EV was actually a fairly good vehicle although its PbA batteries left its range wanting. Ford's investment in Th!nk City (a minimalist glorified golf cart with top speed of 55mph and about a 50 mile range) might have gone places as well had they not used it simply as a compliance car, trying to kill them while everyone was killing their EVs in the early 2000's.
Ford just blew their head start.

Well, this aged like old milk. This issue with the Mach-E was going on since last year. Just goes to show "trustworthy" CR is.

Last edited:

Well, this aged like old milk. This issue with the Mach-E was going on since last year. Just goes to show "trustworthy" CR is.
Holy cwap, they used Ukraine flag as a backdrop! Is there anything in the world those people would not use to make money! Insensitive bastards!

• Funny
Reactions: john5520
I don't see so many MME owners dissing Tesla when Tesla recalls come out, and there are quite a few.

My Tesla MYP costed $25k more than my MME. Yes it's way faster, but that's about it. Both my daughter and I prefer driving MME more. Couple of features MME has while Tesla is missing: 360 camera display, especially forward camera for tight parking spot, rear cross traffic warning, blind spot warning on mirror, easy correction/adjustment in blue cruise mode and won't disengage it. Also, the headlights are way better than MYP's, even MYP has the so-called matrix headlights.

PS Ford has clarified it will be OTA software fix only.

So what are they limiting by software - Fast DC charging or fast driving? This is either a design error or a poorly made part since it is subject to being weld closed or significant deformation. The software correction is a poor work around.

"On affected vehicles, Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Overheating may lead to arcing and deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that remains open or a contactor that welds closed. An overheated contactor that opens while driving can result in a loss of motive power, which can increase the risk of an accident."

So what are they limiting by software - Fast DC charging or fast driving? This is either a design error or a poorly made part since it is subject to being weld closed or significant deformation. The software correction is a poor work around.

"On affected vehicles, Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Overheating may lead to arcing and deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that remains open or a contactor that welds closed. An overheated contactor that opens while driving can result in a loss of motive power, which can increase the risk of an accident."
Hopefully this is a temporary nerfing of the vehicle. And the fix will be a replacement with better set of contactors that can stand up to the real-world conditions of DC fast charging and wide-open acceleration. And when they replace the contactors, they can restore full performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2 and SO16
[...]

Based on what I am reading in the extensive discussion on this in the MME forums, including direct statements from Ford, I think that it would be more accurate to say that while Ford has clarified that it will be a software fix, that is intended as the immediate fix for now. I.e., while software has been identified as the fix, for now, that does not mean that software is the fundamental problem. The degree to which the underlying problem actually is hardware is being actively debated on those forums, and while the answer is unclear based on what Ford has said so far, many think that the ultimate issue is indeed hardware that will eventually have to be fixed at the hardware level. What is further unclear is the degree to which the software fix will be one that impedes performance of the vehicle unless and until the relevant hardware is replaced.

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and SO16
I don't see so many MME owners dissing Tesla when Tesla recalls come out, and there are quite a few.

My Tesla MYP costed $25k more than my MME. Yes it's way faster, but that's about it. Both my daughter and I prefer driving MME more. Couple of features MME has while Tesla is missing: 360 camera display, especially forward camera for tight parking spot, rear cross traffic warning, blind spot warning on mirror, easy correction/adjustment in blue cruise mode and won't disengage it. Also, the headlights are way better than MYP's, even MYP has the so-called matrix headlights.

Many publications have been pro-Ford and anti-Tesla. This thread has evolved to point out the bias while highlighting the problems facing the Mach-E. If you prefer the MME, from what you wrote, you should sell the MYP. You'll probably come out with a profit. As for the MME costing less, well, you get what you pay for. I actually think the MME should be even cheaper considering how much Ford has short-changed their customers on reliability, performance, updates, and service.

As for the fix being software only, I doubt it. Given what's posted on the forums, it's going to be a complicated solution that is very likely to involve hardware as well. Couple that with Ford's incompetence and I'm guessing several months for a possible resolution and that's being optimistic.

Last edited:
It is not clear to me what is damaging the relays. Is it excessive power drop on the contacts or is it hot switching? Hot switching might be prevented with a software update. Excessive power drop in the contacts will not be prevented by software without reducing performance because the only solution is to decrease power. Either way, relays that are already damaged should be replaced. For those who have not yet taken delivery, it is advisable to reconsider your purchasing decision.