Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you don't think the "why" was the 5 to 6 things mentioned immediately in the sentence or two following?
No I don’t think there are any reasons there…..

” 360 camera display, especially forward camera for tight parking spot, rear cross traffic warning, blind spot warning on mirror, easy correction/adjustment in blue cruise mode”

that’s just four “features” … None of which describe the feeling you get when driving the car;

What does he like about the Comfort? Performance? Refinement? Handling?

Not a difficult question to answer. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Electroman
In some ways it's borderline fraudulent what Ford did with the GT. Perfect time to cue the GT vs Skoda diesel flat out roll race! :D

the macheforum thread where people slowly start to realize that the GTs performance is as designed ought to be enshrined in automotive internet history. Starts out with "you obviously lifted before the traps" progresses through "a drunk Ford engineer told me they were going to improve it in March" and ends up at "welp **** I guess that's just the way it is."

They closed the order banks because they can't build them fast enough, it's not because of lack of demand.
Not exactly, the stop order is because of the recall and there's no fix. Look at the prior posts on the recall, they were making flawed Mach E's as late as late May. These guys literally have no clue. You can't have faith they are being honest nor are they looking out for their customers.

Had an overnight test drive of a GT PP a few weeks ago and the way that the car basically shuts off after you hit 60 mph is comical. I've never experienced anything like it in my life. The dealer also asked me not to try charging the car because they were "having issues" with the charge port. Wait so an electric car that I can't charge? Brilliant!

If you are dead set on avoiding Tesla, at least go with the P2 or one of the Audis, the Ford is complete trash and a running joke at this point.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
So much for that 100 year legacy experience
9+ Mach-E trim levels and it sounds like none of them is profitable. Yeah Henry Ford would not be proud.

I like some customization, but EVs need to be sustainable for the companies making them. Maybe Ford (of today) should have taken a page out of the Ford (of 100 years ago) playbook to achieve profitability with simplicity.

Wait, that's basically what Tesla did for the 3 and Y. Still works today I guess!

Sorry, I don’t have the energy to answer these insanely long posts. You and Motor Trend are obviously right. C&D and my own eyes are obviously wrong. The MY is clearly the superior vehicle. Glad we’ve settled this.

Blast from the past
9+ Mach-E trim levels and it sounds like none of them is profitable. Yeah Henry Ford would not be proud.

I like some customization, but EVs need to be sustainable for the companies making them. Maybe Ford (of today) should have taken a page out of the Ford (of 100 years ago) playbook to achieve profitability with simplicity.

Wait, that's basically what Tesla did for the 3 and Y. Still works today I guess!

All that time when Ford bought that Model Y in 2020 for analysis and they still couldn’t get it right.

Reactions: john5520
Blast from the past

All that time when Ford bought that Model Y in 2020 for analysis and they still couldn’t get it right.
Yeah, it's like they wasted their time since they totally botched the software, thermal and electrical designs.
Ford got lazy....they thought that it was good enough to just call it a Mustang
Lazy is right. Why put in the effort when your mega marketing machine can draw in the suckers by the boatload?
MachE is a parts bin, LG pack. Magna motors etc they just assemble the bits
Yep, quickly cobbled together and pray everything works, at least for the first year or so. Then patch and replace anything broken with the same faulty parts till the warranty expires.

Reactions: Sixth
There's many things to like about the Mach-E. I came away from my test drives thinking it was an overall good car. But I didn't know about the lurking drivetrain issues, nor that Ford would botch OTA updates and then not even comp dealers to update the cars manually (aside from recall updates). To me it seems that Ford's product design is stronger than their engineering ability to implement.

Outsourcing doesn't have to end up this bad. Polestar 2 outsources motors, batteries, and infotainment software too, yet its drivetrain has proven robust with good thermal management + headroom for an acceleration boost, and their OTA updates seem to mostly work, with regular monthly releases containing actual useful fixes and features. (The P2 OTA process doesn't sound quite as smooth or reliable as Tesla OTA updates, from what I've read, but much closer and better than the Mach-E situation.)

Reactions: john5520
Not exactly, the stop order is because of the recall and there's no fix. Look at the prior posts on the recall, they were making flawed Mach E's as late as late May. These guys literally have no clue. You can't have faith they are being honest nor are they looking out for their customers.
You're confusing two different things. They started closing the order banks in March because their capacity to build them for the year was already sold out. Has nothing to do with the recall.

Ford shuts down orders for 2022 Mustang Mach-E due to overwhelming demand

• Disagree
Reactions: thesmokingman