Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're confusing two different things. They started closing the order banks in March because their capacity to build them for the year was already sold out. Has nothing to do with the recall.

Ford shuts down orders for 2022 Mustang Mach-E due to overwhelming demand
Interesting article you linked. Here's a quote from the article: "Emma Bergg, Ford spokeswoman, told the Free Press on Tuesday: "Due to unprecedented demand, retail order banks are closed for the MY22 (Model Year 2022) in the U.S. We will continue to sell the limited number of units remaining from dealer stock. We will communicate MY23 (Model Year 2023) ordering details as soon as available."" Elsewhere in the article Ford spokesman Erich Merkle stated that Ford sold 27,140 Mach-Es in 2021, and 6,734 in 2022. So Ford is characterizing sales of less than 7,000 vehicles as "unprecedented demand." Seriously? I'm pretty sure many car companies have sold far more models of just about anything, so the claim "unprecedented demand" is a spin at best and simply a lie at worst. I think that yes, demand outstrips Ford's rather limited ability to build the Mach-e. But to buy the whole "demand" line is silly--to say the least. Supply chain issues are likely somewhat responsible, but given the huge drop in production capability and next year's dramatic increase, it seems likely that Ford's inability to build a reliable car so far with the Mach-e is the actual limiting factor here.

Lmao supply chain issues are only "somewhat responsible" okay.

The Mach was the second best selling S/CUV to the Model Y in 2021 and the third best selling EV overall and they're selling every single one they can make (at enormous markups) so the point is that characterizing it as "a sales disaster" is just ridiculous. Supply chain disaster, sure, but there is obviously demand for the car.

As I wrote in another thread though, supply chain management and basic availability are Tesla advantages right now, and from a practical perspective they are not small advantages. There are some really long waits for EVs these days. I read a story the other day about a prospective customer, I think for a Hyundai Ioniq 5, being put on an informal waiting list just to get onto the main waiting list, and being told that the total wait would be at least two years, and maybe considerably longer. I have heard similar stories about the availability of EVs from other automakers. This is one area where Tesla has everyone beat, in figuring out mass production of EVs. While there are some delays to get Teslas, they does not seem to be nearly as bad as for other manufacturers and the overall Tesla production numbers are much higher.

Reactions: Bouba
Wait I thought Ford could do over-the-air updates, like Tesla

Their ability to do OTA updates is mostly theoretical at this point.

And I've heard they're even a pain in the ass to do at the dealer e.g. they'll have a bunch of updates they need to do in sequence and one will error out and it can mean a tech ends up spending all day doing updates instead of an hour or whatever.

Reactions: tm1v2
Wait I thought Ford could do over-the-air updates, like Tesla
Yeah, they said a month, but their main issue seems to be the number of modules and the order in which they're supposed to be updated. Overall, it's a miserable experience for many. They can get stuck and/or take hours to days to complete. And in between that time, the car can do crazy things until all are updated (hopefully). Even the dealers can take hours to days and often have issues that require visits from Ford. They can't in any way compete with Tesla in that regard.

As much as the fanboys over there look down on Tesla (like we do to them), some members seem very knowledgeable and just want a working car. It's like giving a good pilot a plane that has quite a few inherent defects. There's only so much they can do when the manufacturer is to blame. Some are hardcore Ford fans though. I mean, the car would have to catch fire and burn to the ground for them to get rid of it.

Lmao supply chain issues are only "somewhat responsible" okay.

The Mach was the second best selling S/CUV to the Model Y in 2021 and the third best selling EV overall and they're selling every single one they can make (at enormous markups) so the point is that characterizing it as "a sales disaster" is just ridiculous. Supply chain disaster, sure, but there is obviously demand for the car.
I never said it was a sales disaster, please don't put words in my mouth to salvage your failed argument. I pointed out that selling out 6.734 vehicles for a model year, and calling that "unprecedented demand," was spin at best and lie at worst--which you conveniently deflected to some nonsensical argument about a sales disaster. Given that Ford can make plenty of other cars, and that Ford can't yet fix it's issue with power contactors, it's foolish to blame a limit 6,734 vehicle limit on supply chain issues. Logically, it's easy to infer the issue is Ford's inability to make a reliable Mach-e this year. As far as demand for the car, there is no way to accurately gauge that demand when Ford can only make 6.734 vehicles--and then recalls those vehicles for a safety defect. Perhaps there is large demand for the car, perhaps there isn't. You have presented exactly zero evidence either way.

The poor guy had his HVBJB replaced already from a failure just 2 months ago.
I thought I read on that thread that a fixed car was just as likely to fail as a car that hadn't been fixed--and that was from a Ford insider. Gee, I so wish I had sold my Model Y Performance on a Mach-e GT... 🤣🤣 But yeah, obviously the car is sold out because of "unprecedented demand." I mean, NOBODY has ever sold 6,734 vehicles in a year before! 🤣🤣 I think what is actually unprecedented is that anyone actually believes drivel like that.

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
The model 3/Y are "poor-man" Tesla...they are cheaply made and feel compare to the S/X.

Tesla lost the luxury branding by putting out the cheap 3/Y. The ride quality is very rough.
Disagree 100%. We owned ‘17 S and X. Now own ‘22 S Plaid and YP.

The Pallidium S is much better than the last generation. The Y in many ways is better built than the S and the X. No perception of it being cheap in comparison. The molding is better. The panel fit is better.

Sure ride is a bit rougher. Springs versus air. Not at all related to ‘poor quality’.

Tesla never owned the luxury brand. They own the EV and technical brands.

Last edited: