Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car drives straight when steering wheel is slightly right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An alignment and an off-center steering wheel are two different issues (most likely)

A car can be perfectly aligned with an off-center steering wheel. The steering wheel would then need to be adjusted by the tie rods. Don't let the service center tell you they would need to pull the steering wheel off to center the steering wheel.

from a quick search, you can read how to center a steering wheel:

How to Center my Steering Wheel

the problem is a dealership or Tesla service center employs technicians who do not specialize in wheel alignments so they usually aren't done well and many of them might be ignorant on how to actually straighten a steering wheel.

I took my car to a race shop and it was done in 40 minutes - perfectly.

Understood. And thank you.

Reactions: raggedy
An alignment and an off-center steering wheel are two different issues (most likely)

A car can be perfectly aligned with an off-center steering wheel. The steering wheel would then need to be adjusted by the tie rods. Don't let the service center tell you they would need to pull the steering wheel off to center the steering wheel.

from a quick search, you can read how to center a steering wheel:

How to Center my Steering Wheel

the problem is a dealership or Tesla service center employs technicians who do not specialize in wheel alignments so they usually aren't done well and many of them might be ignorant on how to actually straighten a steering wheel.

I took my car to a race shop and it was done in 40 minutes - perfectly.

Would you mind giving a recommendation of the shop you went to?

Funny story, service center tells me that it is perfectly normal for the wheel to be slightly tilted. Tesla steering is more advanced they say - it takes into account the gradient/slope and as long as the car drives straight with the steering wheel tilted - alignment is A OK.

What else could it be? Asked I. Nothing, they say. All good.
That is total BS. I had Tesla do an alignment when I bought new tires. The steering wheel was 2 degrees off-center when I got it back, but the car tracked straight. I took it back and they re-aligned it correctly.

Yup. The off center steering wheel becomes the focal point of all driving in the new car. I'm scheduling an appointment and bringing it in. Don't fully understand whether steering wheel itself can be adjusted (not too familiar with these things). I had assumed that the wheels are slightly out of alignment and it seems like some others have had this issue.

The steering wheel itself cannot be adjusted. I watched them take mine off and it's notched. Only goes on one way. An alignment has to be done to center the steering wheel.

The steering wheel itself cannot be adjusted. I watched them take mine off and it's notched. Only goes on one way. An alignment has to be done to center the steering wheel.

This is why your particular Tesla Service Centers shouldn't be trying to straighten the steering wheel. Taking the steering wheel off and trying to realign it straight by hoping the splines line up perfectly is dumb.

the steering wheel can be straightened by adjusting the tie rods.

This is why your particular Tesla Service Centers shouldn't be trying to straighten the steering wheel. Taking the steering wheel off and trying to realign it straight by hoping the splines line up perfectly is dumb.

They weren't trying to align it. I was having the stalks replaced due to the adhesive failing (known issue on early Model 3s). I should have explained why they were taking the wheel off.

This happened to me when I picked up mine. Couldn't tell until I left the lot. Pretty much right away I noticed it. Basically did a big loop and turned around. They did an alignment and saw that it was off.

SA told me they are surprised since they had their techs test drive it this morning and it was fine. They didn't do it, or their techs are idiots. Or both. Waited an extra hour at the delivery center to get it fixed.

First Tesla and love the way this thing drives. But man, what a pain in the ass it has been so far (delivery, SC)

Reactions: VT_EE

This is correct. The service write up said they performed an alignment. Outcome is the same though :)

This happened to me when I picked up mine. Couldn't tell until I left the lot. Pretty much right away I noticed it. Basically did a big loop and turned around. They did an alignment and saw that it was off.

SA told me they are surprised since they had their techs test drive it this morning and it was fine. They didn't do it, or their techs are idiots. Or both. Waited an extra hour at the delivery center to get it fixed.

First Tesla and love the way this thing drives. But man, what a pain in the ass it has been so far (delivery, SC)
I have no idea why these folks resist so much. I've had to fight with them for them to agree to check this out again. The work itself is pretty quick with a very expensive computer telling them if it is OK. Yet, they seem to think that I'm making it all up. Its been frustrating. I don't have any particular desire to take time out of my day to visit a service center without a compelling reason. And now, I wait a month for them to look this over again but still no promise that they will actually do an alignment.

@newtnyc Is your steering wheel off center? It might be worth your sanity just to take it to a proper alignment shop and pay to have it done. Yes, Tesla "should" do it for free/warranty/due bill, but as you're already experienced what a car "dealer" should do and what they are willing to do don't always align (get it? aligh. hahha).

• Funny
Reactions: Barrygold