Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Drying Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your premise, the minerals are still there. I'm now looking at some of the portable water softeners for a final rinse only as they all have limited volumes, 150-300 gals per cartridge, almost $1/ gallon.

I agree with your premise, the minerals are still there. I'm now looking at some of the portable water softeners for a final rinse only as they all have limited volumes, 150-300 gals per cartridge, almost $1/ gallon.
I agree water softeners are super expensive and not for the avg joe. Having filtered water is mostly beneficial for allowing the water to dry/sit and not leave deposits. if you remove the water before then theoretically you should be ok. Typically I sheet off as much water as I can before I use my drier. I prefer touchless drying when possible and only wash in the shade or early mornings/evenings. Sheeting the water helps tremendously if you dont already do that. I start on the flat panels, hood and trunk then work work the other panels that water rolls off of much easier with the blower. Then I spend too much time blowing out the mirrors that trap tons of water in them.

How do sheet the water without contacting the surface?
typically I just remove the garden hose from my pressure washer and then just use the water to sheet off the majority of the water droplets so I have less I need to remove when drying. My car is ceramic coated so very few drops are typically left after sheeting. similar to this video skip to about 2:35. Also I don't come nearly as close to touching the paint as he does

Sometimes I take my car for a quick spin to get the bulk of the water off then I dab the remaining with a towel (side mirrors, door handles, hatch lip...)
It also dries the rotors and rims at the same time.

very risky... any tiny particle of dirt flung up onto the surface before you dry could result in scratching. If you purely 'dab', then I guess you should be ok... but I am paranoid about this.

Reactions: krsgio