Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Car feels considerably slower (less responsive) when cold

March 2019 TM3 AWD+

Always felt the car a bit sluggish / heavier in the mornings.
Never had this feeling with my ICE cars.
Later during the day - back to normal, quick and sensitive to the slightest accelerator movement.

I tested with Dragy 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) :
4.1 s / 79 % SOC, outside temperature 45F (8C) (battery cold)
4.3 s / 29 % SOC, outside temperature 60F (15C) (battery warmed up - highway drive back to home)

Even though Dragy shows differently I still felt the car much more lively when warmed up (despite the lower SOC).

Has anyone had a similar experience and do you have any possible explanations ?
Thanks

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Yes this is extremely well documented and completely normal. There is considerably less power when the battery pack is cold (as indicated by the dashes/dots on your power meter). Also, 15C pack temperature is not really warmed up. More like 20C+ to truly be "warm".

This is just the nature of lithium batteries.

Heck, I won't do any timed racing or speed logging unless the car is over 40c/105f minimum

Reactions: Perscitus

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC