Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car feels considerably slower (less responsive) when cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 2019 TM3 AWD+

Always felt the car a bit sluggish / heavier in the mornings.
Never had this feeling with my ICE cars.
Later during the day - back to normal, quick and sensitive to the slightest accelerator movement.

I tested with Dragy 0-62 mph (0-100 km/h) :
4.1 s / 79 % SOC, outside temperature 45F (8C) (battery cold)
4.3 s / 29 % SOC, outside temperature 60F (15C) (battery warmed up - highway drive back to home)

Even though Dragy shows differently I still felt the car much more lively when warmed up (despite the lower SOC).

Has anyone had a similar experience and do you have any possible explanations ?
Thanks

2018 TM3 LR AWD. It's been pretty cold around here lately (even down towards 0 deg F). The only major difference I've found is when applying full throttle. The total acceleration available is definitely less (although still impressive). I don't notice anything substantially different.

Yes this is extremely well documented and completely normal. There is considerably less power when the battery pack is cold (as indicated by the dashes/dots on your power meter). Also, 15C pack temperature is not really warmed up. More like 20C+ to truly be "warm".

This is just the nature of lithium batteries.

Reactions: yavore and Sam1
Yes this is extremely well documented and completely normal. There is considerably less power when the battery pack is cold (as indicated by the dashes/dots on your power meter). Also, 15C pack temperature is not really warmed up. More like 20C+ to truly be "warm".

This is just the nature of lithium batteries.

Heck, I won't do any timed racing or speed logging unless the car is over 40c/105f minimum

Reactions: Perscitus