Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car got hit head on, headache ensues... [Insurance questions]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

well after many years of no accident driving, some crazy lady slammed into me as i was getting my mail @ my box. The mialbox is just off a 2 lane highway, even though i had my blinkers on the woman claims she thought i was oncoming traffic so had to get further over, even though i was on the shoulder 15 feet off the road..

After initially trying to force her insurance to repair the car, I did file a claim w/ Tesla insurance.. Of course they say they think shes at fault, police did do a report and said she had left her lane of travel..

So far the shop says its $12,3xx to repair the damage, and they may find more..

So i have a few questions. number one is that the Tesla Authorized collision center has said they will use OEM used and new parts from other crashed Teslas. Should i accept that?? that doesnt seem in line with getting the vehicle back to pre-crash condition. Shouldnt they be using NEW OEM parts only??
Second, how to best file a Diminished Value claim if this woman ends up having the state mins (5k for prop damage) Should i deny settlement w/ her insurance and just sue her in small claims?
Tesla insurance says they will provide a rental $45/day up to 30 days. How is that a comperable vehicle?! No way i could rent a model 3 for that.
what a headache!
How to best be made whole?

Once upon a time my in-laws were driving on an interstate on their way to Tuscon from Phoenix, AZ. Think: Flat desert, with saguaro cacti. A car with three inhabitants, coming the Other Way, crossed 50 yards of desert and slammed into my inlaws, apparently not all that hard (nobody ended up in the hospital).

Right. They claimed to the insurance company that my in-laws had done the deed, even though the police report had the broken remains of both cars on the south-bound side of the interstate.

Not every person driving a car is an idiot; not every person driving a car has life-killing amounts of chutzpah; but those three sure had both.