Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've actually wondered about the danger inherent in the off-the-line performance of the Teslas. Shooting off the line at light speed seems great, until there's that guy coming from your left who wanted to catch the yellow light... or, worse, the jaywalker who thought he'd dart across just before the light changes. Clearly, judgment needs to be exercised regarding when it's safe to use that instant torque...

The required ramp-up of your typical ICE gives you that split second to notice and avoid a catastrophe, and/or may mitigate it. (See also: It's a feature, not a defect.)

Shooting off the line at light speed seems great, until there's that guy coming from your left who wanted to catch the yellow light...
I have little sympathy for the light runner. I'm not talking about the ones that run the yellow (though annoying). I'm talking about the "my light is green, one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, and now he runs it" that's happening in Bellevue a lot lately (3 times this week, zero times in 2016 and prior years).

I have little sympathy for the light runner. I'm not talking about the ones that run the yellow (though annoying). I'm talking about the "my light is green, one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, and now he runs it" that's happening in Bellevue a lot lately (3 times this week, zero times in 2016 and prior years).
No, me neither - but you're the one who would get t-boned. Saw this happen at a light recently, and it was ugly.

Reactions: bhzmark
Bring on the FSD for all these people who would rather check their Facebook than drive.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
I've actually wondered about the danger inherent in the off-the-line performance of the Teslas. Shooting off the line at light speed seems great, until there's that guy coming from your left who wanted to catch the yellow light... or, worse, the jaywalker who thought he'd dart across just before the light changes. Clearly, judgment needs to be exercised regarding when it's safe to use that instant torque...

The required ramp-up of your typical ICE gives you that split second to notice and avoid a catastrophe, and/or may mitigate it. (See also: It's a feature, not a defect.)

On YouTube the other day there was a suggested video of Tesla accidents. Mostly dashcam footage. There was someone in a Model S who was racing someone off the line at a traffic light and he got t-boned by someone else who had run the light.

Running red lights isn't that common around here, but people drifting through 2 way stops when they don't have the right of way is very common. I have to swerve around people who end up stopping in the middle of the intersection once they see traffic coming about once a week and sometimes I've had to stop to allow these guys to ignore their stop signs.

The instant torque with the Tesla is a great thing if you use it right. There have been a couple of instances where I was able to accelerate out of someone's way on the freeway when they tried to merge without looking or did something else crazy.

Reactions: WhiskySTL