Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got the bet advice a few times near the beginning. What you really need is a long test drive - maybe even an overnight test drive. See for yourself what the fuss is a bout, and whether you'll be happy without the noise.

You ever get that feeling where you know the right decision - but you're afraid to make it because if you do you know the outcome? Im pretty sure a test drive would result in an EV purchase and Ive got to give the model 3 a chance to knock my socks off.

I do want to thank everyone for the replies though - it has made for a fun day for me and helps reassure me that switching to Tesla is likely a decision I wouldn't regret.

The more I post in my own thread the more I realize how impossible this would be to provide advice as a 3rd party participant. I apologize.
No apologies necessary. If nothing else, perhaps we've given you some words to frame up what you will experience when you eventually take that test drive. Good luck in your quest!

Reactions: Hixson
You ever get that feeling where you know the right decision - but you're afraid to make it because if you do you know the outcome? Im pretty sure a test drive would result in an EV purchase and Ive got to give the model 3 a chance to knock my socks off.

I do want to thank everyone for the replies though - it has made for a fun day for me and helps reassure me that switching to Tesla is likely a decision I wouldn't regret.

Yeah. You do want to be sure you have your finances sorted out before you take that overnight test drive. :)

Another ICE enthusiast chiming in (have you noticed there's quite a few of us-more than one would probably assume).

I'm only driving a 2nd gen Volt right now, but I've driven Model S-es :p and am looking forward to a Model 3. One thing I realized on a recent drive with my Miata is I appreciate it MORE now because about the only time I drive it is for..........fun! So an ICE vehicle can almost become like a horse- something you let loose from the barn as much for entertainment as for transportation. That's not a bad thing.

The other 95% of the time I'll enjoy my Volt/Model 3, which is an awful lot of fun too, just different.

I have a gen 1 Volt while my wife has a gen 2. I've driven a Model S, but only with insane mode. It doesn't take long to fall in love with the quiet of driving an electric, not to mention the instant torque - and the model 3 will be faster. That said, I still love driving my Vette. The growl of the engine and rowing my own gears, nothing like it.

Unlike some others on this board, I'm not militantly advocating for the annihilation and banning of all ICE cars. I believe within the next 5-7 years, the superiority of EVs in most applications will naturally tilt the market in that direction. There will still be an enthusiast following for high-powered ICE vehicles for decades to come. I foresee a day, probably in my lifetime, when you hear an exhaust rumble, and you turn your head and mutter, "Wow! Look at that, there goes a [gas/diesel] car! I remember when they were everywhere."

I am a car guy too, my first car was a '62 Austin Healey 3000 MKII followed shortly by '64 fuelie Vette, and in later years a '91 MR2 Turbo and finally my very favorite '88 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, which I have owned for over 23 years. I love the sounds of fine mechanical engineering of all of these ICE machines, especially the Porsche flat six with the air/oil cooling. Simply put, It has a "sole". My Model S 90D on the other hand is like driving the future. The low center of gravity along with the amazing torque, acceleration and a subtle turbine sound from both motors make it just as much fun to drive as the Porsche only it's faster. I will likely never sell the Porsche, because I love having both the classic and future in my garage. Both have their merits and I look forward to driving each of them. The Porsche is in its element in the hills on the twisty roads and not a daily driver, while the Tesla is more fun on the highway, especially with higher speed curves. I simply love them both ;-) Keep a classic and a Tesla is the best answer. Make it happen.

Last edited:
I'm not a car guy. I've never really been into them, aircraft were my passion from an early age though. It's hard to get worked up about the sound of a Camaro when you've heard a Merlin engine up close at full throttle (I was on the corner of a runway when a pair of P-51s took off in front of me).

In any case, I like to be able to have a conversation or listen to the sound system on the car with little outside noise. My old Buick was decently quiet for an ICE, but still made a lot more noise than my Model S.

I also was never really into driving much. I find I like driving my Model S so much I make up reasons to run errands. It's definitely not a golf cart! Last summer I got to 101 mph passing someone on the highway and I didn't realize I was doing over 80. It went from 50-100 so effortlessly it was amazing. I have the "slow" 90D, not the Performance model and it's more than enough for any situation you might run into on the roads.

You might miss the growl of the engine a bit at first, but the instant torque will probably more than make up for it after a short while.

Another car guy here. Sold my 6sp V8 M3 and got the Tesla. Before that a 6 sp BMW E39, not to mention in the past a 427 4 sp 1957 Tbird (used to get compliments on the "classic' Tbird because it had THUNDERBIRD on the valve covers (it would turn over a 100 in 3rd gear in a quarter drag)).

One thing I dont see mentioned is how the Tesla handles. It is as precise in steering as my M3 was. Recovers to a straight line perfectly coming out of a corner. Have always owned a stick until now. Dont miss it at all. All the things mentioned positively about the Tesla applies. The only thing I have trouble with is getting used to the physical size of the S. That shouldnt be a problem with a 3.

So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

LOL! I have to tell you. When I first test drove a P85D, "golf cart" was NOT what came to my mind. I think my exact words were "HOLY F@&$&!!!!". And that was quickly followed by "I'm buying one!".

The bigger risk, for a "car guy" is that after having a Tesla for a couple of years, these flashy, roaring, ICE sport/muscle cars might start to seem a bit absurd. That's definitely happened for me.

Well I think its settled - Im likely going to be putting the Camaro up for sale as we await more model 3 information with reveal 2 just around the corner. My reservation is fairly late so based on the reveal I can decide if the model 3 is the right choice or if its safe to test drive a model S and risk falling in love lol. Thanks for all the responses, kind of hard to believe how many gear heads have made the switch to a Tesla in the last few years.

The best story I can think of related to this is a from guy on the Accidental Tech Podcast talking about why he bought a Model S. They're all car nerds and big BMW fans and while the podcast is ostensibly about Apple development and products, in their aftershow they would often have discussions about cars (including why they would only buy a manual transmission car) and so on.

He said that the thing which surprised him most about test-driving a Tesla is realizing that what he loves about driving a manual is not the way the transmission works, but it's the feel of being directly connected to the performance of the car. He said that in an entirely different way, the Model S gives him that exact same feeling. You step on the pedal and you get immediate power, and you have precise control over how fast or slow you're going at any moment.

The mechanics of it are entirely different, but you have that same sense of intention turning directly into speed.

This was exactly the question in my mind. Many prefer manual over automatic transmission because they can always shift the gears (and play with the torque) and keep in it for passing, hill climbing and whatever. An automatic transmission car will not remember the subtleties of the roads (hilly and what not).

With an EV, isn't instant torque almost tantamount to always being in the right gear having the most power?

I will go against the grain and say that test driving an EV won't help. (At least not with the OP's issues; test-driving an EV *is* a great idea for anybody that hasn't tried one yet to start to appreciate their other advantages). Here's why I don't think a single test drive will do the job

Ask your Tesla salesperson for an "extended test drive". I got a Ludicrous P100D for 24 hours as part of Tesla's "One Ludicrous Night with Tesla Model S" offered in December. Loved the P100DL but couldn't justify the HUGE additional money it would cost going from my already Insane fast P100D. But the 100kWh range would be a game changer on road trips, enabling us to skip some Supercharger stops... and have less "range anxiety" on super long (200 to 250 actual mile) trip legs like the 200 mile trip leg we did from the Page AZ SC to the Blanding UT SC through Monument Valley in March. Made it without stopping but had to slow down to 55 mph for a segment to make sure we'd make it with a comfortable 15% SOC remaining.

Ask your Tesla salesperson for an "extended test drive". I got a Ludicrous P100D for 24 hours as part of Tesla's "One Ludicrous Night with Tesla Model S" offered in December. Loved the P100DL but couldn't justify the HUGE additional money it would cost going from my already Insane fast P100D. But the 100kWh range would be a game changer on road trips, enabling us to skip some Supercharger stops... and have less "range anxiety" on super long (200 to 250 actual mile) trip legs like the 200 mile trip leg we did from the Page AZ SC to the Blanding UT SC through Monument Valley in March. Made it without stopping but had to slow down to 55 mph for a segment to make sure we'd make it with a comfortable 15% SOC remaining.
When did they sell the P100D without the ludicrous upgrade included?

When did they sell the P100D without the ludicrous upgrade included?

Sorry, I have no idea. But they are selling 100kWh non-performance Teslas (Model S & X 100D) which have significantly better range than our P85D... which was what I was referring to, not a "mythical" non-Ludicrous P100D. However, I'll wager a non-Ludicrous P100D exists, possibly from a P100DL with the Ludicrous upgrade removed on an "inventory" model to sell it. Maybe. Or maybe not. Interesting question but seriously wandering off the original thread.

Reactions: JeffK
Hate to be Debbie downer, but you won't get the same fulfillment out of the Tesla. It's not just the lack of a soundtrack. The car doesn't handle or brake like a sports car either. It's a fast sedan. The suspension is bouncy and brakes are small for the weight. The car is unstable in slight cross-winds above 80 MPH. This might be improved with alignment adjustments or non-OEM tires.

Get the car for your commute and to save trips to the gas station. Keep the ICE for the fun driving. You will love the instant torque of an EV no doubt, but the car lacks a "soul".

You have to test drive it yourself to decide, however. Everyone's perception and requirements are different. For me it's a great work commuter, but I'm taking something else on the back roads.

The growl of an engine should be reserved for race tracks/highways not for residential areas. Too many times my daughter woke up from her nap when some car enthusiasts enjoyed the sound of their engine in a 35mph zone. Same goes for motorcycles.
Engine noise is just another type of pollution.

If your car has a "quite mode" for residential areas pls use it. And please stop revving your engine at 7am.