Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car guy coming from an ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

You're going to get some interesting replies :)

From my perspective... the mission trumps the "wants". Sure, I like a growl of an engine too, but its time to end unnecessary pollution. I gave up racing in the 90's because my hobby was counterproductive to healing this world we live in. I stopped supporting NASCAR and airshows for the same reason. They are fun - don't get me wrong - but we're adults, and fun doesn't allow us to be irresponsible with future generations' ability to exist.

But that's me.

Granola munching aside... it is EXHILARATING! You won't miss the sound when you're punched into your seat with instant full torque.

ps. Nothing stopping you from rolling down the window and saying, "vroom vroom!"

I agree bcsteeve - mission over wants. But right now I really enjoy spending a night on the weekend just going out on a drive. Revving the engine a bit, shifting through the gears, decal pops out of my exhaust. I know its childish to like that kind of stuff, but its all Ive known until now. Im just afraid the model 3/model S would feel like a neutered driving experience?

I guess the easiest way to put this is: For a car enthusiast, is a tesla going to be so different that you lose the car enthusiast part about yourself. The Tesla vehicles seem like a perfect family, business, travel car. But can they still be a car enthusiast car is the question. (and don't say yes if you choose the performance all-wheel drive Ludacris mode options - because that model 3 is going to be like $50k+ and at that price point you can buy one hell of a performance ICE car).

It sounds like you like NA v8s with manual gear. The Tesla will be soooo vastly different from that... not sure if you would like that actually... Go try out a Model S. People have different tastes, that's all. If you like engine noise and shifting your own gears, Tesla will AT BEST be a commuter car for you. I really don't think I would recommend given what you stated above.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
So here's my dilemma and Im not sure that it can even be answered until a model 3 test drive is offered but Ill ask anyways. Im a car guy - always have been and probably always will be. Uncle and cousin are professional drag racers, dads a car guy, I currently own a Camaro SS. I love cars for multiple reasons - looks, efficiency, sound, power, etc (just like everyone else). Im starting to panic a little bit. Im worried that Ill sell my Camaro and switch to a model 3, only to be disappointed that it makes no sound. Im very very interested in the model 3 and im all in on tesla so don't take this the wrong way - but whats it like driving a 3500+ pound golf cart? I love the idea of switching to EV, but maybe im just not cut out for the whisper silent EV life? Anyone switch from loving ICE cars to a Tesla that can share some background?

I missed the noise in the first few months of EV ownership, but the instant torque of an EV made up for that.

And that was in a slower BMW ActiveE. Since you're in Iowa, I don't think that you have any Tesla Stores to do test drives in, so schedule a test drive in an EV. Any EV and test it at 0-30, it will be quick. Just have to figure that the Tesla will be much quicker.

Now if you can get to a Tesla store, schedule a test drive. And that would be best.

Anyone who uses the pejorative term "golf cart" for an EV has never driven a Tesla. Go test drive one and you'll never use that term again. Also I think you'll quickly forget about it not causing noise pollution.

Like I said please don't take the golf cart thing the wrong way. I know the performance is there, especially in the high end teslas. I just dont know how ill feel with it being quiet like other battery powered vehicles Ive seen before (for now that is pretty much just a golf cart lol)

Definitely go test drive a Model S at your local Tesla store. Even the base Model S 75 will blow your Camaro away.

Oh I fully understand that a model S would be faster than my Camaro - I have no issue with the performance of these cars. My question is simply how does one transition from loving the growl of an engine and the experience that provides to a silent EV?

I'm not sure you'll get over it since it seems to run in your blood. But I would totally suggest keeping your Camaro SS and adding a Model 3 to your fleet.

Model 3 is the "right tool" for commuting, running errands, (should be) a great daily driver. Depending on the MPGs you get in your SS, the Model 3's potential savings on fuel could help pay for itself.

Your Camaro SS is an entirely "different tool".. but it has its purpose. You may also start modifying your SS in ways that you normally wouldnt if you were forced to use it as a DD.. which would bring additional joy :D

Honestly many people complained a LOT, including pretty much all reviewer, when Porsche switched from a flat 6 to turbo 4 on the 718. I have driven on track and feel the 718 is pretty good. It doesn't sound as good as a flat 6 but doesn't sound bad... sounds worse on video for sure, but performs much better. However many would simply not buy the 718 at all because of that.

You sound like that kind of person. Given engine sound and gear shifting are important to you, I don't think Tesla is right for you.

Honestly many people complained a LOT, including pretty much all reviewer, when Porsche switched from a flat 6 to turbo 4 on the 718. I have driven on track and feel the 718 is pretty good. It doesn't sound as good as a flat 6 but doesn't sound bad... sounds worse on video for sure, but performs much better. However many would simply not buy the 718 at all because of that.

You sound like that kind of person. Given engine sound and gear shifting are important to you, I don't think Tesla is right for you.

Kind of agree, but Im sort of at that point where you realize maybe a 2 door gas guzzler isn't the most practical vehicle as you start to think about starting a family. The Camaro is going to have to go in the next 2 years or so regardless - im assuming a first child throws a real curveball into this equation. Reliability, performance, safety, efficiency, are all there for switching to Telsa - just worried im going to miss being an ICE guy...

Oh I fully understand that a model S would be faster than my Camaro - I have no issue with the performance of these cars. My question is simply how does one transition from loving the growl of an engine and the experience that provides to a silent EV?

That might be a bit of a misconception. Model S isn't actually silent. When launching the car you definitely hear the body creaking, tires screeching, and the motors whirling. Passing maneuvers on highways also result in audible feedback from the motors. It's not loud but it does add to the visceral sensation when accelerating.

You know what I'd suggest... don't even test drive a MS. Seriously, go find a Nissan dealership and test out a Leaf. Even THAT will give you a grin on your face as you launch off the line with almost no noise and a good kick in the chest. It won't blow you away, but you'll grin. Then consider that the Model 3 will be a good 100x that feeling (since the Model S is at least 1000X).

I've driven a lot of cars. I've smiled with a lot of them. I miss a lot of them. But its just so much more important to reduce emissions that I *would* give up a smile. But I didn't have to. Electric cars are exhilarating... just in a different way. The Leaf was fun. The Model S... whole...different...level.

Incidentally, I've never driven a S with ludicrous (or even insane). I had a brief ride in a 75D and a 24 hour stint with a 90 (not P or D). Both were incredible to drive with ridiculous acceleration. I can only imagine what the P really gives you.

I know a lot of car guys with Tesla's. All that I know still love the guttural roar of a v-8, but likewise will never buy anything but electric in the future.

It was once described to me as wanting the sensation rather than the sound.
The instantaneous pedal response (which no ICE can match), the instant 100% torque, the fact you can hear your music, the improved roll and handling. All these things are things that are without compare in an ICE.

If the sound is the only thing that turns your crank, why not sit in a lazy boy at home and blast the stereo ;)