TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car has a Bell SIM. Didn't we get AT&T?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Koryin, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Koryin

Koryin Member

Just got off the phone about a cellular issue and the technician mentioned that my car uses Bell.

Didn't we used to have AT&T SIMs that roamed?

2. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Tesla told me 6 months ago that the cars roam on Rogers in Canada. Strange, maybe the AT&T roaming agreement has changed...?

3. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Although I prefer Rogers (better of 2 evils) having bell should give us lte I presume. I wonder if we can actually find the sim and check our selves?

4. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

About nine months ago I heard they were in the process of switching service providers for the Canadian cars. I think the AT&T roaming deal was the easiest route when they had fewer cars in Canada, but they now have enough on the road to negotiate a better deal with a local provider.

5. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Wouldn't that involve a swap of SIM cards for delivered cars? Also then the reverse of the current connectivity would happen with roaming in the US.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, I would think so. Further, I thought I heard that there isn't actually a removeable SIM, at least in the early cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Never thought about this before, but do the Roadsters have connectivity like the Model S???

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

What do you get when you try going to a site that geolocates your IP ( like whereisip.net)? I know that when I have done this in the past I get a US location - even the local news for news.google.ca would give me US news.

Or is that screwed up by web browser traffic going over Tesla's VPN and hitting the Internet from Tesla's servers rather than locally from the wireless service provider?

8. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Yes, but they could leave the delivered cars on the old contract for now and swap out the SIM cards over time.

Yes, Roadsters have GSM service to send log files back to the mothership, but no online navigation, Slacker radio or internet browser like the Model S. Last I heard they let the GSM contract expire on the Canadian Roadsters.

9. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Yes, Roadsters have GSM service to send log files back to the mothership, but no online navigation, Slacker radio or internet browser like the Model S. Last I heard they let the GSM contract expire on the Canadian Roadsters.[/QUOTE]

Is is their a way to disable this? This is pretty intrusive. Eg: What if i went to see my girlfriend and my wife got a subpoena to see tesla records??

:confused:

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Apparently I am in Dallas, Texas.

11. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Ha - I think you'd have a bigger problem with the Tesla app on your wife's phone!

Yes, you can opt out of data collection by contacting Tesla:

Privacy & Legal | Tesla Motors Canada

12. Koryin

Koryin Member

Just checked. Car gets a Jasper Technologies IP that originates out of Mountain View.

That suggests a VPN.

13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I wonder if the new Bell sims will roam in the US? Or, if it will be like when the US cars didn't roam in Canada?

No need for those records since we have no fault divorce. Plus, extra-marital affairs have no bearing on division of assets. Plus, plus, all she has to do is read your posts here over your shoulder... ;)

14. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

No need for those records since we have no fault divorce. Plus, extra-marital affairs have no bearing on division of assets. Plus, plus, all she has to do is read your posts here over your shoulder... ;)[/QUOTE]

Doh :biggrin: There goes half my Tesla
    Djp thanks for reminding me bout the app. I'll never be able to work late every again as she'll be honking the horn till I leave :biggrin:

I think having an option to be out is fair. I really don't care about Tesla tracking as I already have Google tracking everything thing I do.
    Can anyone new 70d or 85d delivery confirm lte?

15. Koryin

Koryin Member

Doh :biggrin: There goes half my Tesla
    Djp thanks for reminding me bout the app. I'll never be able to work late every again as she'll be honking the horn till I leave :biggrin:

I think having an option to be out is fair. I really don't care about Tesla tracking as I already have Google tracking everything thing I do.
    Can anyone new 70d or 85d delivery confirm lte?[/QUOTE]

My car was build late May and says 3G.

16. orangem

orangem Member

Jasper technologies is kind of like a MVNO (similar to old Virgin before they got bought out by Bell) for Internet of Things. They could simultaneously have relationship with all of the Big 3. It pretty much absolve Tesla from building relationship with every individual carriers in the world which would not be tesla's expertise.

17. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

Got my car 2 days ago and got 3G no LTE in Montreal.

18. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Thanks Dakkor. I know I saw lte in the US though. I guess it just needs to be enabled

19. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

I would like to hear if any of you new car people drive down to the States - do you get coverage and, if so, is it 3G or LTE?

20. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

So I just took delivery of my MS today. Awesome car. My DS shared with me that any cars being built after June first would have LTE. Now I didnt ask him if it was enabled or they installed the hardware. (should of asked i guess sorry)
    IMG_20150701_005049.jpg IMG_20150701_010641.jpg